• We kept looking and researching different breeds and we finally decided upon a basenji since I had one when I was kid and was familiar with the breed. So we started looking around for an older basenji at the rescue associations. On july 1 we found our sweet girl on the Warren County shelter website. I called the shelter to see if she was still there and they were open til 7 pm. They told me she was there because she got lose and killed a chicken (which is what a hunting dog is supposed to do). They kept her the 3 days and when the head warden returned from vacation they decided not to put her down but try contacting the owner to come and get her. The owner did not return any calls or come to get her so they put her up for adoption. She had been at the shelter since 6/24/08 and wasn’t put up for adoption until 7/1. We went down that evening to meet and play with her. She came to us and we walked her and played with her. So we decided to adopt her. They said we could pick her up on july 9th because they would spayed her. Then they called on July 2nd and said she was already spayed and we could come and get her so we did. They microchipped her, updated all her shots, checked her for heartworm, and got her dog license. We take her to the vet this Saturday.

She was already house broke, crate trained and walks great. Oh and she likes to ride in the truck. The only problem we have is she tries to eat tigger’s food any chance she gets. The day we brought her home tigger arched her back and raised every hair on her body but didn’t hiss. Now they sleep together on the couch. She doesn’t like to get her feet wet so walking her after it rains or in the morning is fun.

• Hello and welcome to the forum 🙂

• Congratulations on your new girl!

• Congrats! I'm in OH too!

• What a lucky girl she is to have found you!

Welcome and congratulations!

Anne in Tampa

• B's love cat food…
    I am glad you found a b that love kittys, in a nice way..
    Thanks for caring enough to take in a rescue.
    Make sure you get her tested for fanconis.
    you will find that info on other sections of this site

• Welcome…and congrats on your new little girl.:)

Suggested Topics