BCOA Sponsorship

After asking about my membership to BCOA last week, I finally got an answer. Although my check has been cleared, I was told that both my sponsors withdrew their sponsor, and I need to find new ones, or get them to re sponsor me.

I have not been told exactly why they withdrew their sponsorship, and was wondering if there were any of you out there that would like to sponsor me.

My suggestion is to go to the basenji breed club meetings and get to know the folks there.
See if your ideas and theirs are the same.
This will give you a good idea why has happened did…

I'm back in Greeley, so that will be difficult, but I thought we were on the same page. I'm not breeding Medjai because he's tested affected, and other reasons.

Did they say why they pulled their sponsor? I can say one thing and that is that it makes many, many people nervous that you have an intact boy that has tested affected and have not neutered him and are looking for a bitch. Honestly, there is no reason to keep him in tact…. and especially if you get a bitch... and even more so when they go into season.. it is the worst month of your life... and the longest. Even if for some reason there was a good reason to think about breeding him, best thing would be to have him collected and neuter him... then you have the sperm frozen.

I would believe that Pat is right.
Get your boy fixed and then see how your recieved in the BCOA.

I am assuming that you know the email addresses of your sponsors. If so, why don't you contact them directly and ask why they have withdrawn their sponsorship. You seem confused about what has happened and the only way you will be able to resolve that is by asking the people involved directly.

As for finding new sponsors, usually a sponsor knows the person well. They are often a person's mentors in the breed or long time friends. I would recommend getting invovled in the local basenji community. Going to the upcoming show in Greeley will be a start and should help you to meet basenji people in your area and begin to develop the relationship necessary before most members will be comfortable sponsoring.

I was asked to sponsor someone who I didn't know well.
I told them I just couldn't…as they has several intact b's and I was not sure what exactly was the mission for that home and any breeding they might have.
Its not easy to be blunt with folks when you refuse them, but sometimes its the kindest thing.

sorry my posts are short, its from my phone. I may be able to look up and find their emails. I have gone to a couple shows andbeing blunt, only one person I met was actually approachable.

I am not getting a bitch for another year at the earliest, and am trying to wait to neuter medjai until I get his thyroid pannel done, and maybe until right when he becomes symptomatic because I truely believe (strongly) that spay and neuter of currently healthy and non agressive animals as long as you can keep them from mating.

So your saying that you don't want to fix your boy?
I guess I just don't get that.
If I was in your place, I would collect this boy and fix him.
I do know keeping b's who are intact from breeding isn't an easy thing.
There are more than one smart breeder who have had OOPS litters.
And, sorry, if I am being blunt, if your breeding an boy who is affected, that should in NO way be a oops.
Good luck.

IMO, it would be far better to do surgery while he is healthy and all of his organs are functioning at optimal than to task an already ailing organ with the additional burden of stress and anesthesia. Also, rut for males is extremely taxing on them and I would not want to add that stress to an animal that I know is already prone to hereditary disorder. Especially the stress of having an intact female in the house.

My male would routinely drop weight during rut and would look like I was starving him even though I was feeding him almost 3 times his normal portions. In a fanconi dog it is critical that you are able to keep them in good weight and that they process what nutrients they can as efficiently as possible. IME, intact males are heavily stressed during rut and this directly effects their weight and condition.

if it becomes too difficult for me to separate them, I have family without dog's who would do what it takes to help. I will surely fix him when his health even slightly starts to decline, I just want to wait til then because of how I feel about spay/neuter just to make life easier.

@etzbseder:

sorry my posts are short, its from my phone. I may be able to look up and find their emails. I have gone to a couple shows andbeing blunt, only one person I met was actually approachable.

Shows can be stressful for some people and quite hectic for others. It really helps if you have already talked to someone and they know you are coming. I am very lucky, most of the time my husband comes to shows with me and he is very willing to talk with anyone and everyone while I am getting the dogs ready and in the ring. If I was by myself, it would be very difficult for me to take the time to properly prepare my dogs and to also chat with new people.

I personally prefer to meet people at lure trials since there is a lot more down time during a trial so I can give people more of my time while still making sure that my dogs get to the line on time and prepared.

@etzbseder:

if it becomes too difficult for me to separate them, I have family without dog's who would do what it takes to help. I will surely fix him when his health even slightly starts to decline, I just want to wait til then because of how I feel about spay/neuter just to make life easier.

It is not just about easier or keeping them separate. Once my boy knew that it was "the season" whether my girls were in or not, his behavior would change. It became much more severe once I had a girl in the house and he would lose pounds. Not a little bit of weight, A LOT of weight. He would pace, he howl, he would not relax night or day.

I understand what you are saying about not wanting to neuter to take the easy way but I truly feel it is an issue of health. In order to help take stress off his body and perhaps even delay the onset of symptoms, if he were my dog I would neuter him sooner rather than later.

@lvoss:

IMO, it would be far better to do surgery while he is healthy and all of his organs are functioning at optimal than to task an already ailing organ with the additional burden of stress and anesthesia. Also, rut for males is extremely taxing on them and I would not want to add that stress to an animal that I know is already prone to hereditary disorder. Especially the stress of having an intact female in the house.

My male would routinely drop weight during rut and would look like I was starving him even though I was feeding him almost 3 times his normal portions. In a fanconi dog it is critical that you are able to keep them in good weight and that they process what nutrients they can as efficiently as possible. IME, intact males are heavily stressed during rut and this directly effects their weight and condition.

Exactly right lvoss…. totally!!!

@etzbseder:

if it becomes too difficult for me to separate them, I have family without dog's who would do what it takes to help. I will surely fix him when his health even slightly starts to decline, I just want to wait til then because of how I feel about spay/neuter just to make life easier.

There is no good reason to keep him in tact… none what so ever... IMO.. and that is without even seeing him... 1. Even according to you he is undersized 2. DNA affected for Fanconi 3. He has really nothing to offer the breed as there are more then enough better conformation correct, good health, good temperaments out there for people to use... Again IMO....

Are you keeping him intact to show? Is he from a specific line that you need to keep passing on?
If not, why wait.
If its just because you don't like the idea of fixing a boy dog, then please understand, the dog will be much happier and easier to live with once the drive to mate is over.

To the breeders here, would you sell a female puppy to someone who had a probably affected intact male if they told you the story ahead of time? I'm just curious…especially with a chance there could be an accidental breeding.

@renaultf1:

To the breeders here, would you sell a female puppy to someone who had a probably affected intact male if they told you the story ahead of time? I'm just curious…especially with a chance there could be an accidental breeding.

Simple answer from me… NO

I so hope this fellow gets with quality breeders in his area and can find someone to mentor him.
We all started someplace, but to have an intact male, affected and want a female is very scary for most of us who have been around a while.
Hopefully, he will find someone who can help him see the big picture.

If keeping him intact is a "guy thing", my husband can attest that it doesn't make any difference. Years ago we had 3 brothers that we kept intact (never bred, but what a pain at times!) because Don didn't want to 'clip' the boys. When we got Topper he was still intact and stayed that way till he was 5, and he started getting really grumpy at the park, I put my foot down and got him neutered, and in a couple of weeks he was his normal self. When we got Ed, I took him right away to get neutered and he hardly even noticed! I know neither of my boys will get testicular cancer, or kidney failure from prostate hypertrophy. So if is a 'guy thing', give it some thought, it is a very minor surgery and it will bother you more than the dog!
It's not to make life easier, it is to keep the dog healthier!
Anne in Tampa

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.