Skip to content

Mirtillo meets his 'nephew'

Behavioral Issues

Suggested Topics

  • He's Destroying the Couch

    Behavioral Issues
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    6k Views
    E
    Have you considered the use of dog anti-chew spray on your furniture or personal belongings? Of course, the spray needs to be all-natural, no chemicals and with no side-effects. Is there anyone who has made use of these type of sprays to protect your furniture from being chewed and damaged by the Basenji? I have read that Trixie Knabber Stop Spray is a good product.
  • Do they or don't they?

    Behavioral Issues
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    9k Views
    P
    I've followed this thread with interest and I think both Debra and Fran have pinned it down. I do think that right and wrong are subjective and that those who say that animals feel guilt are anthromorphising. Guilt is a very human feeling. I raise my Basenji to respect me but I also respect them. They listen to me and I 'listen' to them. I see no need for physical discipline. My dogs are taught from the beginning what their limits are. Not to say that they are instantly obedient. They are just normal Basenjis with normal Basenji instincts. Some are unacceptable to me and that is where I draw the line. I believe the tone of voice is very important as is the Basenji's vocalisation. I feel it's good that we don't always agree - after all it would be a very dull forum if we did!
  • First 'hump' today

    Behavioral Issues
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    P
    In my opinion puppy humping is just a natural thing - lambs do it too. Yes it may be a dominance issue, I'm not sure. They usually grow out of it if and irt's quite easy to gently discourage them but above all don't make an issue of it.
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    S
    Very good advice, please let us know if it works.
  • I'm So Happy!!!!

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    jennifereverJ
    i was really worried about taking my new basenji to the dog park this past weekend, because his last owner said he was bad with other dogs, but he had so much fun! i'm proud of him! he even got a girlfriend (and boyfriend!!) (this gorgeous rosey light fawn-greyish colored italian greyhound - absolutely beautiful!) and then this grey male i.g. started humping him, lol.. that's the boyfriend :p . so good job to your basenji! it's so nice to see them get along with others!
  • Ok…I've Had It...It's Muzzle Time

    Behavioral Issues
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    11k Views
    QuercusQ
    @Mantis: so how is it working? the LEAVE IT command is great. Start with not cat objects you dont want you puppy to play with, say leave it, get the attention and give a tiny treat… you can also encourage this type of response while playing fetch. when the puppy brings back the toy, hold the toy until the pup releases it, say GIVE not participating in any tugging or shaking behavior which encourages the prey drive. i find that a soothing voice and looking the puppy directly in the eye does the trick. they will look away or release the toy. if this is hard, use a tiny treat to encourage the GOOD GIVE after the fact. Leave it is similar. i used to chase caesar around when he wanted to chase the cats....lots of LEAVE ITs and treats, but the give works as well....caesar bled the two commands together.... give is good becuase it establishes your terms to the game and doesnt encourage that shaking behavior if you want to avoid it ( i avoid the behavior in case we have small kids in the house that pull toys from the dogs) leave it is good to establish your own terms.... Great post, Mantis. I totally agree, and great explanation of the training steps!