• I'm a proud owner of my first ever Basenji puppy!

attachment_t_3727_0_img_0054.jpg
    attachment_t_3727_1_img_0055.jpg
    attachment_t_3727_2_img_0059.jpg
    attachment_t_3727_3_img_0060.jpg
    attachment_t_3727_4_img_0064.jpg

• Very cute, thanks for sharing… and a Tri to boot!!! (my personal favorite)
    Where did you get him?

• @Mucky:

I'm a proud owner of my first ever Basenji puppy!

Hi, welcome and congratulations! Your tri is so cute! We love pictures here. Tell us more - Is the pup's name Mucky? 🙂 Are you having fun with him? They are a handful - I spied the game station controller - with my puppies, everything got chewed if on the floor. There is lots of excellent training info on the forum threads.

• Welcome awww he's soo cute !!! I have a tri also and am from Mass 🙂

• So, how do the b and cat get along?

• What a cutie. Welcome to the forums. Can't wait to hear all about your little baby.

• what a good lookin' dog! 🙂 Welcome to the forum!

• His name is Colbey. I found him on CraigsList. He is only 7months old. The previous owner was relocating and couldn't take him. Another man's loss, is, well… my gain! He is a handful, but lots of fun. Surprisingly he hasn't tried to chew on too much that isn't his (well... besides my room mate's dogs toys). My cat, Seymore, has no fear of dogs (he has lived with quite a few in his 15yrs), so he is actually training Colbey to leave him alone, and Colbey is respecting him. It is definately animal kingdom in my house. I am having hours of entertainment watching the animals figure out the pack order.

• WOW! HE IS super cute!! I want a tri too!!

• Since this is your first Basenji, you might want to become familar with the breed and read about possible health concerns in our breed, especially Fanconi. Is he AKC registered?
    Links for Basenjis
    www.basenji.org
    www.basenjihealth.org

• Yes, getting the blood test done will give you the information you need, if your b' is going to have problems.
    Handsome dog!

• Thanks…. I've done a bunch of reading about the breed and such. I'm waiting to get his papers from the previous owner and plan on having him tested for the health problems. He's not neutered yet, and we're exploring the possibility of breeding him.

• Well, we have lots of breeders on this list, who can clue you in to the work and expense of breeding your boy.
    I don't breed, just do rescue, so I am always in favor of fixed pets.
    Once you get the paperwork, and find out if this boys lines are good, you can get started on the testing for him you will need to do before you can contact another breeder…
    Its really a pretty big deal.
    Glad your doing your homework before you go ahead.

• @Mucky:

Thanks…. I've done a bunch of reading about the breed and such. I'm waiting to get his papers from the previous owner and plan on having him tested for the health problems. He's not neutered yet, and we're exploring the possibility of breeding him.

There are lots of threads on the Forum about being a responsible breeder, why to breed, why not to breed… check them out... most important, what does your dog/bitch really have to offer the breed?... Health, conformation, temperament all need to be included and evaluated.

Here is the forum link.. and if you read "How to find a responsible breeder" sticky, you can then apply to someone that is thinking about breeding and could they answer those questions.... go to the Basenji.org/learn link and then to http://www.basenji.org/learn/ScreeningBreeders.html

http://www.basenjiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

• Re breeding and being responsible.
    We just rehomed 2 10 yr old b's.
    The breeder asked BRAT for help, and we were lucky enough to find a great home!
    Not only did the breeder offer to take them back, if we couldn't find a home for them, they also gave BRAT $$$ for the adoption.
    So, this is something responsible breeders do.
    I, for one, and very, very greatful that we have such quality folks in the breed.

• he looks very happy in his new digs. congrats on your new family member

• What an amazing tri pup!! You're so lucky! 😃

Suggested Topics