Can someone explain to me the mixing of foods?

• she has papers, i took her to the vet today for a checkup and shots, she is great. Ya the breeder i dont think is a TOP NOTCH breeder she couldnt even spell basenji right…'besenji'

• @MEANDI:

im in tacoma, wa its 40 min from seattle. Im pretty positive she doesn't have several dogs breeding. I dont know what the problem with having several dogs for breeding would be anyways…if they are doing it the right way, what is the problem. Now i feel like i my dog isn't up to standards with you people 😞

Oh no no! There is no standard to be "up to" here. We're all just Basenji owners, trying to do the best we can by our dogs.

We do like to know who bred the dogs that come in because so many of our dogs turn out to be related in some way and some people have gotten dogs from the same breeder, sometimes the same litter. It's fun to draw those family lines.

The questions about how responsible the breeders are come out of concern for the health of the pup, as well as how strong you can expect the support to be. There are many potential health issues, such as Fanconi, hip issues, eye issues that a responsible breeder screens for. If your breeder did not do that, then info can be gotten here as to where/how to have those tests done.

It's not a measure of whether your dog is "up to standards", but just getting information so that the members here can be the best possible source of information and support for you. 🙂

• A big myth that exists about purebred dogs is that having papers in some way connotes quality. This myth is perpetuated by for profit breeders who use this as a selling point for their dogs since they do not have anything else like health testing to offer.

Having papers doesn't really mean much these days. There are many "new registries" that will send papers to anyone who submits their dogs for registration. These registries started popping up when AKC began their mandated DNA testing for Frequently Used Sires. I have friend who decided to "test" how rigorous the registration process for one of these registries was and submitted her purebred basenji for registration as a JRT and was mailed the papers "certifying" that he was a JRT registered with their registry.

Even AKC papers doesn't say anything about the quality of the health and temperament of the dogs in a breeding program. In order to check if a breeder is doing it right, you really need to check the OFA database and see if they are health testing their dogs and using those results to inform their breeding decisions.

I feel it is really important to get out there and let people know about this myth and strive to educate as many people as I can about what a responsible breeder is and what it means when you are considering adding a dog. So many people don't know and so they can't make an informed decision.

• And as a Basenji owner, it is important to know what the possible health concerns are in the breed, being an informed owner is important to the long term health of your pup…

We have DNA test for Fanconi, a horrible affliction to which there is no cure.. we as owners, breeders, basenji lovers are the caretakers of the breed and it is important to educate everyone on the breed and health. We can rid our breed of this horrible affliction... where in the past even responsible breeders were breeding "best guess"... If we don't, who will?

• when my girlfriend sends me the papers i will let you know the information on the breeder 🙂

• Please - no need to worry about standards. Our beloved (yet naughty) Cyrus was a pet store puppy. We have been really lucky that he is healthy and happy despite his bad origins. We are currently in the process of adopting our fourth dog, an 11-year old rescue dachshund, to alleviate our guilt about buying a pet store puppy. We love Cyrus anyway.

As to feeding, we feed all dry. With multiple dogs, it is more practical for us. I recently went to Pet Supplies Plus and looked at the ingredients in all of the dry dog foods. Oscar's ears were getting really dry and losing hair, and I thought it might be a nutrition problem. It turns out that most of the big name brands are primarily fillers like corn meal. After reading the labels and looking at the prices, I switched to the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Adult Dog Formula. Everyone is looking shiney since the switch.

• @MEANDI:

when my girlfriend sends me the papers i will let you know the information on the breeder 🙂

More important is that you get the DNA test done for Fanconi… This is not a test that your Vet can do (other then to draw the blood), Basenjis need to be registered on the CPP site and blood needs to be sent to U of Mo...

You can read about it at www.basenjihealth.org and also read the FAQ's about the DNA Linkage test for Fanconi

• I don't want to create more controversy here, but it upsets me again that another person feels attacked and like they have to meet a certain standard to be here…it reminds me of Alex's post earlier...
    "This forum was created as an informational tool and nothing more than that. Members have expressed on numerous occasions that they feel as though they have to meet a certain standard in order to join our community."
    And here it is happening again. Like I said earlier...I DO NOT think anyone is doing this intentionally, and I believe everyone is good hearted, kind, and knowledgeable. However, I think it is important to take a good look at demeanor, and make sure we are not offending people. Just food for thought.

• @MEANDI:

im in tacoma, wa its 40 min from seattle. Im pretty positive she doesn't have several dogs breeding. I dont know what the problem with having several dogs for breeding would be anyways…if they are doing it the right way, what is the problem. Now i feel like i my dog isn't up to standards with you people 😞

PLEASE…. Dont think that their is any standard that people here are holding your puppy to. People tend to get fired up about breeding when it comes to dogs like Bs. With the genetic problems that have occured in this breed people just get fired up. I want to make sure that you know, EVERYONE here loves Basenjis, that means that even if you had purchased the dog from the worst puppymill, these folks on this forum would still think your dog was amazing and worth all the love and support they could help you to give your baby. Take the fact that everyone here is working to help educate themselves and others about this amazing breed for what it is. It is never meant to be an attack. We are all so happy to welcome you to the Basenji family and want nothing more than to give you all the support and information you require.

Again.....Welcome to the Forums, and congrats on choosing to invite this great breed into your life and heart.

Oh and by the way.... I would just kill (figuratively) 🙂 to see some pictures of your little fur-baby when you get a chance. 😃

• Welcome! We at this forum have various dogs that are show dog champions, pet store dogs, shelter dogs, puppy-mill dogs, and all are loved companions so the only 'standard' is that you love your basenji and want the best for them! My 3 are rescues, and I feed dry. I mix 2 foods because as I changed from one to another I didn't like the looser stools, but found a 3/4–1/4 mix to be perfect for all 3. They seem to really like their kibble and eat enthusiastically, though they have had the same food for several years now. I also give mine vegetables, meat, a bit of whatever we eat. As someone else said, people feel very passionately about food, but as long as you feed a high quality food that agrees with your dog, and they are healthy and glossy with solid poop, you're good! Go for the best food you can afford, it will save you bet bills down the way and your dog will be healthier and feel better than if you feed a 'junk food' full of filler.

Good luck, welcome and good for you for getting all the information you can!

Anne in Tampa

Suggested Topics