• Why do raisons have to be so bad for dogs. Medjai has been real good about ignoring me when I eat food lately. BUT today I was eating some raisons, and instantly Medjai decided he couldn't leave me alone before he got one. I just had to eat them faster to be done with them so he couldn't steal one.

• As they say, everything in moderation… certainly I have given mine a raisin/grape or two

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html#Grape%20and%20raisin%20poisonings%20in%20Dogs

• I had a dog (shepard mix) growing up that LOVED frozen grapes. They were her favorite treat, and we gave her one or two each day. I had NO CLUE that they were bad for doggies. Yikes….

• Some dogs can be VERY sensitive to them. One of the members of this forum lost a B to raisin toxicity, and she only at a couple teaspoons of raisins from what I remember.

It seems to be unclear whether or not grapes are toxic as well.

• I heard that raisins or grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs. My former boss had 2 borzois that died last year. One of them died of kidney failure. That was the dog that always ate grapes with her. I mentioned the raisin/grape thing to her afterwards, and she felt that she was somehow responsible for the dog's death. I don't know in that case, the dogs were 10 or 11 when they died…a long life for a borzoi.

• Yeah, I know I would hate it if I were the result of a pets death due to misinformation.

I was just shocked that something that doesn't smell nearly as good as the other food I eat got Medjai licking his lips and trying to almost eat it out of my mouth when he usually leaves me alone as I eat.

• @Quercus:

Some dogs can be VERY sensitive to them. One of the members of this forum lost a B to raisin toxicity, and she only at a couple teaspoons of raisins from what I remember.

It seems to be unclear whether or not grapes are toxic as well.

As with humans and peanuts…. My Maggii that is and has been in renal failure 2 yrs this coming June.. loves frozen grapes... and you know... at this point in her life... (will be 17 in August)... she can have some... but of course I limited them to 2 or 3... at a time...

• Congrats on the 'will be 17', i hope you have a great last few years. I am sure at that stage, I'd let Medjai do just about whatever he wants too. He loves to eat people food, but I don't let him. Maybe I'll let him get a couple select table scraps when he gets old.

• @tanza:

As with humans and peanuts…. My Maggii that is and has been in renal failure 2 yrs this coming June.. loves frozen grapes… and you know... at this point in her life... (will be 17 in August)... she can have some... but of course I limited them to 2 or 3... at a time...

Good analogy, Pat. Most of us can eat peanuts no problem…but deathly toxic for a few, a moderately toxic for more.

I am so happy that Maggii is doing so well, despite her renal failure! Long live the queen!

• @etzbseder:

Congrats on the 'will be 17', i hope you have a great last few years. I am sure at that stage, I'd let Medjai do just about whatever he wants too. He loves to eat people food, but I don't let him. Maybe I'll let him get a couple select table scraps when he gets old.

People food is not bad for dogs at all, what is bad is the "scraps"… food that you eat (meat, veggies, starches, etc) are all fine as many cook their own dog food straight from regular food. Typically "scraps" are the stuff we will not eat... ggg... so neither should the dogs. Mine eat people food all the time along with dog kibble and raw.... of course kibble is the easiest...

• I thought people food was fine as long as you don't have all sorts of spices and such on it, but what Medjai wants the most is like my bbq sauce, especially with the meat under it. I just figure he can have some when I'm making it, but once I start to season it, NO. I could be wrong, but at least I'm wrong on the right side. Good quality dog food, is better than food from my plate, when I'm not sure if it's good for him or not.

• @etzbseder:

I thought people food was fine as long as you don't have all sorts of spices and such on it, but what Medjai wants the most is like my bbq sauce, especially with the meat under it. I just figure he can have some when I'm making it, but once I start to season it, NO. I could be wrong, but at least I'm wrong on the right side. Good quality dog food, is better than food from my plate, when I'm not sure if it's good for him or not.

Usually the BBQ sauce has sugar in it… not surprising that he would want that... and spices have never bothered mine... :p usually if too spicey they just will not eat it... But there is nothing wrong with your thinking at all...

• well, then i may ease him into being more spoiled. (if it's possible)

• Our two B's now have acquired a taste for Guinness. The other night I was watching t.v. and they sneaked up to me without me even noticing them and started licking my pint!!! Now when our boy sees that I have one he follows me around just waiting for another opportunity to get it.

• Wine is a favorite for mine…. Red or White

• @tanza:

Wine is a favorite for mine…. Red or White

Red has got to be messy :eek:

• @Vanessa:

Red has got to be messy :eek:

No, you would be surprised.. they never make a mess…as in they want "all" of it.... :p

Suggested Topics