Skip to content

Does my puppy not like me?

Behavioral Issues
  • yesterday a family friend came over whom triggers has never met…he goes up to her so happy and starts wagging his tale 90 mph......he has never wagged his tail for me (or anyone) since we got him :(

    i'm trying to excuse him by thinking since i never leave the house he's never surprised or excited to see me....but i still feel a little burned

  • I totally understand your grief. The same thing happens in our house. Visitors will come over and our dogs get crazy happy. I've never seen the two of them get that way and it can be upsetting at times.
    One thing though…we get the constant snuggels and you know deep down they adore us. I think they just want to be loved by everyone so thats why they do the things they do. :o

  • @fountainhead:

    yesterday a family friend came over whom triggers has never met…he goes up to her so happy and starts wagging his tale 90 mph......he has never wagged his tail for me (or anyone) since we got him :(

    i'm trying to excuse him by thinking since i never leave the house he's never surprised or excited to see me....but i still feel a little burned

    That is REALLY normal. Don't take it personally. Dogs have a greeting ritual that is much more elaborate for non-pack member friends. They need to express, I am no threat, I am happy to see you, don't feel threatened. Normal, healthy puppies greet just about everybody like that because they have no idea whether each new individual is threatening or not; and they are just excited to meet new friends.

    I have found that the people they meet in puppyhood will continue to be favorites throughout their lives. Our 9 year old dog has about four people on earth that he greets with a wagging tail…he met all of them as a baby puppy...and he sees each of them MAYBE once a year...but he gets all crazy when he sees them :)

  • Ours will go crazy for visitors also. They are also pretty expressive when we come home and will wag their tails. Even moreso if we are home later than normal.

  • Yeah, my feelings get a little hurt when DH is gone for weeks, and then he comes out and Jack sees him and starts wagging that tail like crazy- it looks like he is gonna take off. I can admit it. I get a little jealous.

  • well, it's good to know there are others that feel my pain :p

  • Mine do the same….visitors get the full "treatment" , Tail wagging, low growling, yipping, the works. I tell ya.......:rolleyes:

Suggested Topics

  • Shaking Off Like Wet

    Behavioral Issues
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    eeeefarmE
    I think dogs do this for various reasons. Depending on context, it can be "whew, glad that's over!" to "well, that was fun, what's next?". At any rate, not unusual, IMO.
  • puppy exhibiting behaviors that are questionable

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    6k Views
    A
    @margiem Yea, he bites his blanket. probably because he is still a puppy. He doesn't do it to cover himself. Garcia, Allan
  • My basenji likes tequila?

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    Shaye's MomS
    @Forever: You cant leave any glass unattended in my house zoey is a boozer. She especially tries for irish cream but I have had to pull wine glasses and wine coolers away. Hubby has caughter her at his beer or 7and 7. But its the smell of rootbeer that gets that look on her face. By the by our cat cant get any catnip toys in our house because the 2 dogs steal them and chew them up. MY Shaye seems to be becoming a boozer wannabe! If I'm having a glass of wine, it has to be WAY out of her reach, and if my husband has his Jack and Coke on the side table, she is constantly jumping up there and trying to get at it, so he has to move it or hold it all the time! So far we've kept it away from them, but we've had to be very very careful. Both :eek:dogs also steal all the catnip toys from the cat and chew on them - they don't chew them up, but they really really seem to like it!
  • Puppy yelping?

    Behavioral Issues
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    -ClarEmmKai--
    Our B Kairoe did the same thing after getting his shots. We massaged the area where the needle went in and sure enough he gave out a yelp. I relate it to when we get a shot and the pricked area can become quite sensitive for a few days and up to a week.
  • Lots of questions about puppy aggression

    Behavioral Issues
    51
    0 Votes
    51 Posts
    33k Views
    Robin_n_JackR
    My Jack always gets really excited when playing and tends to nip and bite a little, but really only Me and DH (not guests or anything) what has been working for me is putting my hands on either side of his face and saying in a really low growling voice "no biting." He usually stops. If he is really wound up and won't stop after this, I give him a time out in his crate. Yeah, I know he isn't a kid, but I kinda feel that if he keeps going I might just lose it on him, you know, yelling….and I know he doesn't respond to that- he just looks at me like I have lost it. I don't really know if this is "right" or not, but it works for me. I tried the "Ouch" really loud, and redirecting and stuff, but it hasn't been working.
  • Puppy now or puppy later??

    Behavioral Issues
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    10k Views
    C
    Here they are… [image: PA010159.jpg]