• We had rain off and on at the park this morning, we finally left when it did not to let up. All the dogs were pretty "empty" so have had a lovely day snoozing through the rainy afternoon. Hmmmm, it's been 8 hours now and still we have rain and no doggie has ventured out the dog door into the yard.

What do good basenji parents do in this circumstance?

Drive three miles to an overpass with space to park underneath and some bushes and columns for "relief"! Now I have happy relaxed doggies ready to make it through the night and hope the rain will stop by morning. My dogs spoiled? I think not!

Anne in Tampa

• I have found that EL D can wait all day if its raining. Then if its just raining lightly he'll finally go in the yard; if heavy I have to put the leash on him and take him under the trees. Some people have piddle pads for such situtations.

• Dallas doesn't ever tell me he has to go out when he knows it's raining. However, being a puppy I carry him outside & give him treats while he finds a spot to do his business then tons of treats once we get back in the dry house! Haha. I think he's starting to realize he won't melt! :rolleyes:

• Tucker is no exception to the B's tolerance for the rain. However, it only took a couple 'breaks' in relatively hard rain of my unrelenting for him to get the message that the quicker he gets down to business, the quicker he can return to the dry refuge we call home. 🙂 He only got soaked a couple times. I think he rather likes the towel rubdown he gets when we come back inside as well. If it's raining REALLY hard, I'll put his ruffwear coat on since it's waterproof.

• Oh my word, another trait that I was unaware of in B's. Spring has come to Missouri and with it the rain, Bitty's first indication to me that she was not happy with the rain was her refusing to get off of the porch when I took her out for her morning constitutional. Unlike our Shiba who totally ignores the rain Bitty wont even go on the wet grass after the rain stops.

• Last night when I put the dogs out for their bedtime piddle, I deliberately carried Jayden out onto the grass. He has been lazily peeing on the cement patio in the morning and at night and when it rains….because he doesn't like wet grass. I'd carry him out to the back of the yard and he'd beat me back to the back door. After about 10 tries, I gave in and told him to just pee on the patio and get it over with beause I want to go to bed!! But no, then he wouldn't pee at all. I must be punished! So to get him to pee, I had to bring them both in, wipe their feet and then immediately put Jayden back out. Then he peed on the patio and we went to bed. Who is training who??
    Pat

• @BasenjiDiva:

Last night when I put the dogs out for their bedtime piddle, I deliberately carried Jayden out onto the grass. He has been lazily peeing on the cement patio in the morning and at night and when it rains….because he doesn't like wet grass. I'd carry him out to the back of the yard and he'd beat me back to the back door. After about 10 tries, I gave in and told him to just pee on the patio and get it over with beause I want to go to bed!! But no, then he wouldn't pee at all. I must be punished! So to get him to pee, I had to bring them both in, wipe their feet and then immediately put Jayden back out. Then he peed on the patio and we went to bed. Who is training who??
    Pat

Hmmm, I think you answered your own question…:D

• We took Jack to Upstate New York with us when he was about 9 months old. My husbands folks had a place on Lake Champlain. We got there and walked down to the lake. As we stood on the boat ramp, Jack was entranced by the waves. Then, all of a sudden, SPLASH! Jack was swimming around. He immediately swam right back to me.

He has never gone in the water willingly again. And, as for rain, he will hold it all day, just so he doesn't have to get wet. He doesn't go in the house or anything. He just doesn't want to go outside.

• Sahara hates the rain, she will hold it all day if she has to. But it has been raining all weekend here in NC, so yesterday I had to put her leash on and pull her outside the door. Then she went all b/c it was only drizzle, and she finally peed at the PERFECT SPOT!!!! Later she went outside when she saw DH home from a job and while she was out decided to pee, when I looked out the door she was under an outside plastic table in the yard, she is so darn smart, you gotta love them, haha!!!!!:D 😃

• Just remember " rain is sulphuric acid" and act accordingly:D

• We're supposed to get some really heavy rain/thunderstorms today here in St. Louis today. Everybody cross your fingers for me!!!

It's funny though, she loves the snow and the mud - hates the rain!

• Yes..mine too. Anything but rain, or really wet grass:rolleyes:

• @basenjishunt:

Yes..mine too. Anything but rain, or really wet grass:rolleyes:

Unless there is a cat/squirrel or other critters in the yard.. then doesn't matter what the weather is….:p

• Your right…squirrel trumps wet grass!!

• And bunnies trump squirrels.

• The other morning Bitty was going crazy at the front door, she had already been out for her morning stroll so I couldn't figure out what was the problem. But since she has already started my training I put her lead on her and opened the door to take her out. She immediately boltted out the door, had never seen her move that fast, and chased 2 deer off of the front lawn. Thank god I had a good hold of the lead.

• Man! mine love to chase deer too…I don't know what they're thinking. What would they do if one turned on them? Run away, of course!!!:D

• I took jack out when we were visiting friends, and there was a bunny in their back yard. The bunny saw jack and immediately froze. Jack saw the bunny and froze as well. Then Jack slowly started backing up, away from the bunny. The bunny saw that and thought- oh this dog is a wimp, and hopped a long his merry way. Yeah, my dog is afraid of big bad cottontail!

• If it rains all day and they do not go out, we will usually wait fo r alittel break and then jump up and yell, "who wants to go potty!" this gets them so excited they usualyl will go outside before they realize it is wet and then go on to do their business while out. We struggled for a long time before realizeing the excitment was the key.

• I've found that Mya is quite possibly the smartest dog I've ever had. Is it possible to toilet train her???? LOL! :rolleyes:

Suggested Topics