Allergies!!

i just got my new basenji which i adore.. ive had him for 3 days and my eyes are really swollen. i havent really had a dog of my own before but ive been around dogs just not on a daily basis and never had any allergies. ive read basenjis are non hypoallergenic. im going to see a dr next week but was wondering if anyone has experienced or heard of this before

There is no such thing as an allergy free dog. Basenji's are just better than most due to their minimal shedding and lack of oil glands.

You did not expose yourself to them before you bought them?

I have really bad allergies and we went to dog shows got real close to the dogs and our breeder, before we bought gave us a blanket that her dogs slept on to test our allergies. So far so good for us, but everyone's allergies are different.

I was allergic to dogs before I got mine, but it only lasted a few weeks before I was normal again. I knew when I got Mia that my allergies would bother me a bit. But after I would say 10 days it all went away. Give your body enough time to build an immunity to your dog. Before I got Mia, if my brother's Labs would like me I would break out in hives, well now my pups sleep with me and no problems ever arised. I would say go see a doctor after about 2 weeks if your syptoms are teh same, or sooner if they get worst. Mine were really itchy eyes and some stuffiness

I was allergic to our basenji when he first came home. I would break out in a rash when he touched me. My eyes would water and become really itchy.
Just wash your B and wipe him down a few days a week until you adjust. Also consider some allergy meds…Zyrtec works great and now you don't need a perscription.

My boyfriend is allegric to our basenji as well. Basenjis, although less dander, still produce allergens so people with a strong allergy to dogs will still experience symptoms. For our situation we have an air pruifier to clean the dander. I "deep clean" the apartment once a week while my boyfriend goes out of the apartment [this includes getting underneath all of the furniture & also cleaning all the bedding]. I also use allergen-reducing shampoo & wipes on Dallas weekly, feed a higher quality of food for his skin & finally make sure to brush his coat weekly while outside on our porch. I also recommend using febreze allergen spray which kills airborne allergens & if sprayed on fabric kills allergens within the fabric. 🙂 Hope this helps!

and yea what Ivoss put is my thread about my boyfriend's allergies…:)

@Ninabeana26:

My boyfriend is allegric to our basenji as well. Basenjis, although less dander, still produce allergens so people with a strong allergy to dogs will still experience symptoms. For our situation we have an air pruifier to clean the dander. I "deep clean" the apartment once a week while my boyfriend goes out of the apartment [this includes getting underneath all of the furniture & also cleaning all the bedding]. I also use allergen-reducing shampoo & wipes on Dallas weekly, feed a higher quality of food for his skin & finally make sure to brush his coat weekly while outside on our porch. I also recommend using febreze allergen spray which kills airborne allergens & if sprayed on fabric kills allergens within the fabric. 🙂 Hope this helps!

Be Very Careful using Fabreze around your pets. Stories have been going around for years stating that it has killed pets. I am unsure if it is true but animals are very sensative to chemicles.
When we clean the house, we keep our B's out of the area until everything is dry. I still cringe when they lick the tub after I have finished scrubbing it down with harsh chemicles.

@Vanessa:

Be Very Careful using Fabreze around your pets. Stories have been going around for years stating that it has killed pets. I am unsure if it is true but animals are very sensative to chemicles.
When we clean the house, we keep our B's out of the area until everything is dry. I still cringe when they lick the tub after I have finished scrubbing it down with harsh chemicles.

Interesting. Actually when I sprayed it on the couch earlier this week Dallas licked the sofa & I got all worried so I put him in his crate while I finished spraying then took him for a long walk. Now I'll have to be extra cautious…and maybe consider not using it all anymore...how scary!

I'm going to google this now actually...

Anytime I spray something Chance and Kiya will immediately sneeze and roll all over the place. Its funny to watch but they are really sensative to smells.

I have used Fabreze for years with never a problem… but like Vanessa, I do "try" to keep them out of the area till things are dry. But most time when I clean the floors it is with vinegar and water, so it would not hurt them anyway

Just as a note Febreze lables itself as safe for dogs and cats. Here is a good article about where the infamous death of pets posts originated and the saftey level of this product.
How Safe is Febreze

We have two basenji's and a old elkhound but we also have 6 birds of various types most of them have been a rescue or needed a re home. There are so many things that are toxic to birds that I never even knew about. Febreeze is definitely on the birdy no no list also are alot of cleaners ,scented candles and glade plug in's. Most of this will do in a bird in a very short manner. If they can do this damage in birds that can't be good for the dogs or perhaps even us. I like to think the birdy no no list helps keep our B's in a good enviorment. Since they are sight and scent hounds I think they might react badly to the same things . Any bird site or a quick google of toxic items for birds will give you the list. In our house the birdies help keep the doggies safe.

Absolutely Febreze is not great for anything. I don't really endorse using ANY kind of chemical cleaner if you can help it (not when there are so many good natural alternatives in this day). But the difference between not great and toxic is a huge difference. Also I think it's a great Idea if you have more than one kind of animal to make sure that you do the research on all of them in order to determine no no items around your house. It is important to keep in mind that each animal may react to different toxins. Some things that may be horrible for one species might be alright for another (Catnip for instance can be toxic to parrots). All good pet owners should be aware of things that can potentially threaten your loved ones. 🙂

ok folks like or not like Febreze it is NOT a death sentance to dogs - check out the debunking of this at www.snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

the method brand spray is a great alternative to febreeze. It's natural, smells great, and lasts forever! I still don't let Blaze walk on anything I spray for a few minutes, but I feel better using it.

@Vanessa:

I was allergic to our basenji when he first came home. I would break out in a rash when he touched me. My eyes would water and become really itchy.
Just wash your B and wipe him down a few days a week until you adjust. Also consider some allergy meds…Zyrtec works great and now you don't need a perscription.

Agree, Zyrtec is a great drug for allergies, but can make some people very sleepy. There is a new prescription allergy treatment available called Xyzal that has shown equal symptom relief to Zyrtec in clinical trials, but has less sedation. However, I will warn you that it is very expensive!

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.