Skip to content

Martingale Collar help

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Collars

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    7k Views
    Chealsie508C
    martingales- only thing I can use that my boy wont slip out of…that, and if you are used to a choke, this is considered a choke with safety. I am not a fan of collars on all the time due to possible strangulation (i crate my boy)....so I feel the need to put a disclaimer that a martingale does have a "loop on the collar that may catch on something
  • Collars

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    7k Views
    MacPackM
    I have used Nick Russell's collars for many years and they do not wear out. I have never had even the most wily basenji slip out of one and escape. And he will custom-make them for you if you send your ribbon to him. We are lucky that so many good products are available, everyone is bound to find something to fit your needs.
  • Wearing Collars

    Basenji Talk
    34
    0 Votes
    34 Posts
    22k Views
    BasenjiDivaB
    @Jarodkjv: Since someone is always home with the dogs a better choice may be the Playsafe collar, it is designed for daycare type settings. It won't open by itself but it has velcro tabs that can be pulled open easily even if the dogs are tangled up. The advantage would be that you could use it to hold them without worrying about it accidently opening. But it's not really designed to have a leash hooked to it so you would have to put a regular collar on them if you were going to take them out. That looks like a great alternative and I do think I'll give them a try. Although the dogs wear regular collars in the house, we always use martingales or sporn harnesses when we walk them. I found the website interesting and was fascinated by the dog cold weather gear. Don't need it here but it was still fascinating. Those of you who live where there is snow - Would your dogs really wear a long legged, full body snow suit? Check out the Arctic Fleeces. http://www.faithfulpetproducts.com/CoatsFloatsBoots.html Pat
  • Help!!!!!!

    Basenji Talk
    34
    0 Votes
    34 Posts
    14k Views
    youngandtiredY
    @ELERICKSON40: Yes I agree. She is quite the mighty hunter and her nose is to the ground always!! Alot of times when she is digging in the couches and chairs she is trying to bury a bone. She will stuff a bone into the corner and actually take her nose and push imaginary dirt?? over the bone. It makes us laugh!! Yea, my B does the same, the first time I saw this I was so intriged, they are so smart. It is a funny thing to watch, Sahara will take a bone around the house in her mouth for the perfect place to bury it. If she can't find a place she is happy with she will prance around whinning the sadest noise like she is so sad. I actually pitch in and help her find a place, and she will most of the time agree on the place, she checks it out and then walks off. These dogs spoil you for any other breed, they are the best.
  • Help

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    MantisM
    ha ha, those are cute. if i put a basenji sculpture on the floor Caesar thinks it is alive. I wonder how he would react to something like this! Cute!!
  • Collars

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    4k Views
    jessi76J
    thanks for the ideas. I think the martingales are great training tools, but not suitable for everyday use (at least not for me). I may try the rolled leather if I can't find any wide/flat collars.