• Love these pictures, your B is so good to wear what we stick on them. I bought my B 2 coats today for winter from Old Navy. I couldn't believe that Old Navy sold dog items, they have other stuff also. Sahara doesn't like to wear them, but they are a new thing for her, and I hope she will get use to them. I figure when winter gets here and we go out she will like them more. Hope to see more pics of your baby soon.

• She is very good about since she can only walk a few steps without them on the cold ice. She just stops and picks up each paw and looks up at you as if to say, "Take me back into the house; put me near the fire so I can thaw please!!"
    The boots I have for her are muttluks and I found the type of jacket that velcros on the top is best for Basenjis' large rib cages and harness. The one I bought was not a brand that I can tell, but it was at a local pet store that went out of business, sadly. It is fleece on the inside and a nylon material on the outside. A real ski jacket of sorts. Old Navy did have some great things online and in the stores.

• –------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only have one on hand... This is his ruff-dog coat. (has reflectors on it, lined w/ fleece, is waterproof & heavy duty)

I'm not sure if Old navy has sweaters... I only buy the velcro-on coats (less hassle putting them on/taking off).

Hi Jessi76!
    This is a cool coat! Where did you get it? I don't want to buy something that would embarrass Joey 😉
    JoeyQ

• hi JoeyQ… I got my dog's coat at a dog-festival from a vendor, but they are available online directly from Ruff Dog... here's the link to the K9 Overcoat:

http://www.ruffwear.com/K-9-Overcoat-trade-II?sc=2&category=12

I like this one in particular because it completely covers the chest area, where dogs tend to lose alot of body heat. (it's also EXTREMELY well made, as long as my dog doesn't get any bigger, it will last a lifetime)

• omg omg omg, I LOVE the reflectors! I have a collar with blinky lights I used to put on my old rottie but those are WONDERFUL! 🙂

• this coat also has a loop (on the back) to attach a blinking light or another reflector for added visability.

• Hey!!! I found the Ruffwear coat in my town. Thanks so much for the info!
    J

• I need to find one in pink for her! LOL!

I will have to get some photos of her in her two jackets from Old Navy.
    attachment_p_2421_0_1121295imggh0.th.jpg

• BTW, Lands End has doggie jackets too. Their "Squall" jacket for dogs, two different types at least.
    (I hope this isn't a repeat…sorry if it is)

• Ok so it is not about coats. But my B's get very cold feet when we visit Maine in the winter. Most booties fall off their feet. I am looking for suggestions on booties that stay on the feet.

Thanks,
    Rich

• I went to a local pet boutique and was able to try on several coats for Joey. The Ruffwear coat did not fit him as he was inbetween sizes. I found a great coat from Apache River, quite expensive I think $62, but it fits him like a glove! It even has straps to put around his back legs to hold the coat down around him when he bends over to sniff. They are optional if you like. He tolerates the straps fine, but the store owner says some dogs don't. Hope everyone has a great Bday!
    Sandra

• Strange behavior from Topaz & her coat recently 😕

I got her & C3 a puffy vest from Old Navy. They both took to it at first. C3 still doesn't care if it's on or off but he does tend to shiver if he doesn't have it on.

Topaz gets incredibly stiff & then shivers the entire time we're walking outside so I put her coat on thinking it will help her. Recently she drops her head after I put it on & she goes up/down the stairs really slow. During our walks she stops randomly & walks slowly. The second I take it off she's fine but she shivers gain 😕

Will it be cruel to take her out without a coat?? The next few days will be in the low 20s :eek: that's frigid!

• I bought Alani the cutest sweater yesterday and put it on her for the first time last night and…wow, I thought she'd never forgive me. She HATES it but it did keep her from pulling when it was on her. She became very defiant though, she'd stop and wouldn't budge at least 4 times durring her walk and she refused to go to the bathroom while wearing it.

Anyone have this problem? Do you just have to put it on her frequently and deal with them hating you for a while?

• @pelican:

Ok so it is not about coats. But my B's get very cold feet when we visit Maine in the winter. Most booties fall off their feet. I am looking for suggestions on booties that stay on the feet.

Thanks,
    Rich

I've seen some booties with velcro around the "ankle" part of the boot… you slip their foot in then velcro it secure around the top. I've not used them myself, but my friend uses them on her whippet and she seems to like them...

• @spitfirekrl1:

Anyone have this problem? Do you just have to put it on her frequently and deal with them hating you for a while?

try bribery. When I introduce new things that my guy doesn't care for, like the head harness, I shovel handfulls of really good treats at him. He associates the new item w/ lots of treats and praise, and always gets over it quickly.

Pelican… boots... have you tried muttluks? I got my dog a pair on ebay for about $12, almost new. if you can't find them at a discount somewhere, they are sold directly from the company.

• We didn't have a problem with the coat, but every year we go through that with Nala and her muttluks. They do stay on her feet though. She prances around, lifting her feet really high and then realizes (I guess) that she can enjoy being outside without frozen feet and gets over it.

• when i first put the boots on my dog, omg… that was THE funniest thing I'd EVER seen. lifting his legs so high.... I nearly died laughing. which of course, made it worse, cause now i was laughing AT him in his boots. But once I got him outside and walking, he started to walk more normal... but oh my... sooo funny!

• Winter 2006

• So when is a coat a MUST for these dogs??

I'm in NJ and it's been around mid 20s to low 30s.

Arti is TOOO Adorable!! I love his coat 🙂 I especially love the leg coverage. I can't find too many coats that cover their legs. Is he wearing boots in the snow?? I can't tell.

• @jys1011:

So when is a coat a MUST for these dogs??

I'm in NJ and it's been around mid 20s to low 30s.

I would think it depends on how long you plan on having them exposed to the cold. Some of ours like wearing the coats, some don't.

Suggested Topics