Rescue, stupid on toast people

• Well, got a call from the local shelter.
    They had an owner release basenji girl dropped off today.:(
    I am making arrangements to get her into her foster home this weekend.
    This 1 yr 2 mo old basenji was given as a gift from a daughter to her
    84 yr old parents!:eek:
    Small wonder they dropped her off at a shelter.
    What was the family THINKING???
    At least she is nice and will be easy to rehome…to the PROPER home.
    SIGH!
    Oh, yes, I will work to inform the local basenji breeders about her.
    But really, unless the daughter didn't say she was "gifting" this dog, my
    breed club wouldn't place a dog in this type of home!

• She was probably thinking: small, short hair, little grooming required, don't bark…. PERFECT gift for elderly mom and dad!!!

Should have done just a weeeee bit more research.

Where did she get a dog that age to give? Or have the parents had her for a while and just can't take it any more?

• Yeah, if my grandparents were to get a basenji, it would have to be like a 10 year old very mellow one. That's about the only thing I think they could handle, and they are only in their mid 70s

• I am getting more info on the dog this weekend.
    She is intact, so we will have to spay her.
    She does have a rabies tag, so hopefully, I can find out more the the shot info and maybe even the breeder, if I keep digging.
    I just like to share info if a legit breeders dog does fall into rescue.
    Yes, this was not a well thought out gift at ALL!

• @etzbseder:

Yeah, if my grandparents were to get a basenji, it would have to be like a 10 year old very mellow one. That's about the only thing I think they could handle, and they are only in their mid 70s

Well as they say, depends on the people… I place a pup and her Mom with a lady in So. Cal who was a very young 69 at the time.. that was 7 yrs ago and she is still going strong... and loves the both of them.. but of course if anything were to happen and her son's can't take them, they will come back to me... so each situation is different.. and this was not a "gift" and not 84 either....

• I am not bashing seniors as I am one! Laugh.
    But this isn't the kind of gift one should give unless the family is very active.
    Pat, knowing you, this dog looks forward to the naps it gets when the family you mentioned, slows down!
    I just hate this type of thing…this pup is only 1 yr old and INTACT.
    Imagine if they had not called me!
    This shelter doesn't fix the dogs before placing them.
    another big mistake IMO!

• Me too, senior that is.. and I didn't think you or anyone was bashing seniors… just saying that every situation is different and chances of me placing a pup with 84 yr olds would have been slim to none... unless 1. they were very young 84 and there were written arrangements of who was going to take the pup if something happened...

• I have made my will out already as to who get gets my dogs if I pass.
    None of us what to think that way, but to me, its like having kids and you have to be smart about things you care about.
    This family, with the young pup, must not have discussed with the breeder who sold this dog, what would happen if the dog didn't work out.
    Doing rescue, I always try to make the right match, but if not, I always tell them and e-mail them, that we will take the dog back at anytime for any reason.
    Then I follow up.
    I just wish folks would do more homework re our wonderful breed.

• The story I got on Sawyer from BRAT was that he was purchased by an elderly couple in their 80s. I read a thread on here about someone asking about a Basenji in a pet store and what the pet store told them….small, no barking, clean, low/non shedding....sounds like a great dog for someone in their 80s. Too bad that isn't what they really bought. He sheds, he is very vocal, he is very agile, and he is dominate and stubborn:rolleyes: But I love him to death.

• @Punky:

The story I got on Sawyer from BRAT was that he was purchased by an elderly couple in their 80s. I read a thread on here about someone asking about a Basenji in a pet store and what the pet store told them….small, no barking, clean, low/non shedding....sounds like a great dog for someone in their 80s. Too bad that isn't what they really bought. He sheds, he is very vocal, he is very agile, and he is dominate and stubborn:rolleyes: But I love him to death.

So typical for our breed… the fact that they don't bark, per say, people take as mute... and we all here know that is way beyond true... along with shedding... they do shed usually just not like a Lab or Dal types.... and they forget about the part that they are a hound.. as in independent and needs stimulation ..... or they will find their own... not really unlike something like a border or aussie... except for the fact that those with training are pretty usually obedient... a Basenji is a thinking dog.. and answers every command with "What is in it for me?"

Suggested Topics