• Can't wait to see pictures.. she sounds like a typical B….. also if you have not done so... visit www.basenji.org and www.basenjihealth.org great B information and health issues every Basenji owner should know about…

• Welcome! Don't worry about the pet store purchase, I did the same thing and have learned. I am smarter now and help out with BRAT when I can and push adopting from a shelter or rescue to friends who are looking.

• Thanks, we have now learned and have investigated several breeders (because crazy as I am I do want another) or maybe we can adopt. Trixie worries my though because she does seem to be very dominant!!! We'll see. For now we are just enjoying all of her antics!!!

• Have you taken her to any obedience classes?
    This can help you in so many ways.
    YOU WIll probably not pass, re sit, stay, that type of thing, oh the folks that have b's do this will blast me for it, laugh but it will help her bond with you, see you as the leader and tire you both out.
    Gentle and positive classes only.
    They really do help.
    Also, if you can get in touch with any clubs that do lure coursing, then that is way fun as well…the dogs love it and the come home so tired!

• @ELERICKSON40:

Thanks, we have now learned and have investigated several breeders (because crazy as I am I do want another) or maybe we can adopt. Trixie worries my though because she does seem to be very dominant!!! We'll see. For now we are just enjoying all of her antics!!!

If you get a puppy or a rescue, your best bet is a male.. opposites typically do well together.

• Ok The Pictures Are Up It Took Me A While But I Finally Figured It Out

• Ok The Pictures Are Up It Took Me Awhile But I Figured It Out

• Ok The Pictures Are Up It Took Me A While But I Figured It Out!!

• Ok Pictures Are Up It Took A While But I Figured It Out!

• Ok Pictures Are Up

• @sharronhurlbut:

Have you taken her to any obedience classes?
    This can help you in so many ways.
    YOU WIll probably not pass, re sit, stay, that type of thing, oh the folks that have b's do this will blast me for it, laugh but it will help her bond with you, see you as the leader and tire you both out.
    Gentle and positive classes only.
    They really do help.
    Also, if you can get in touch with any clubs that do lure coursing, then that is way fun as well…the dogs love it and the come home so tired!

No we have not enrolled her is obedience classes because everyone we talked to up to this point said she would fail and it would'nt be worth the money. But now that I have discovered this wonderful website I am considering signing her up!!! I think it would do us good!

• @ELERICKSON40:

No we have not enrolled her is obedience classes because everyone we talked to up to this point said she would fail and it would'nt be worth the money. But now that I have discovered this wonderful website I am considering signing her up!!! I think it would do us good!

That is not true, many Basenjis do quite well at Obedience. One of my pups has her obedience title and rally titles. And yes at first you might fail… but it is well worth the money, provided you have the right instructor. You need to make sure the instructor is familar with Basenjis and likes the breed along with making sure their training style is positive reinforcement

• @ELERICKSON40:

Ok Pictures Are Up It Took A While But I Figured It Out!

She is adorable!;) Love the puppy picures! Reminds me of Nala…

• I love the puppy pictures to! I look at those and can hardly believe she was that little. I love her to death!! You know I bragged to everyone yesterday about how good she has been. I got home from work and my mother-in-law informed me she had misbehaved yesterday. I surveyed the damage it was only 1 flip flop (my son's) and my throwrug from my bathroom was in the living room. (But she had not chewed it up yeah!!!!!) I call this being mischevious but I don't think my mother-in-law was impressed. Trixie cracks me up!!!! hehe

• Thanks for the info I think she and I will take a class. I can get her to sit on command (if she wants to) but I am having problems getting her to come when she is called!!! She is so smart (sometimes I think to smart) and I think she would do good in class (maybe !!)

• There are more and more Basenji's entering obedience. The thing you have to remember, I find, is that Basenji's think, "What is in it for me?" Shadow is entered in Rally obedience and sometimes he will listen and sometimes he won't. Persistence is the key. I have said that he will get his title in spite of himself. If you want to have some fun, learn new things, and generally have a good time, join obedience and ignore the naysayers. Even if you learn basic commands it is worth it.

• @nomrbddgs:

There are more and more Basenji's entering obedience. The thing you have to remember, I find, is that Basenji's think, "What is in it for me?" Shadow is entered in Rally obedience and sometimes he will listen and sometimes he won't. Persistence is the key. I have said that he will get his title in spite of himself. If you want to have some fun, learn new things, and generally have a good time, join obedience and ignore the naysayers. Even if you learn basic commands it is worth it.

Well put Arlene!!

• Hi! She's precious!

I always take the dogs to obedience as pups…I figure even if they don't do well they learn something and I always learn something new too.

I got my first B at a pet shop...we all start somewhere. He got me hooked on the breed...I loved that dog. Little did I know at the time that he was everything "bad" the breed had to offer. I think that's why I think of Chey and Apache as "calm"

• Pat your right that b's can do well in agility/obedience, but it takes the right mind set of the owner.
    I was posting for most owners who are not savy to the "quirks" of the b's we love.
    They often think of them as german shepards, or labs, and are embarrassed when the dogs don't do well in many classes.
    I want to do rally when I retire.
    I figure it will give me all the stress that I usually have at work typed with a smile

• You're also right Sharon, when you own B's, you have to take what other people say with a grain of salt. I had one judge in rally obedience who told me that she could train a basenji to do obedience. I kind of looked at her and said (maybe I shouldn't have) How many B's have you handled. She replied one for the owner. I kind of smirked at her and said try out a few more. One doesn't give you an idea of the variety of attitudes-neither does handling a B one time!

Suggested Topics