• My girl hate to take a walk!:rolleyes:
    She hides when I come with her sweater and tryes to bite me when I put in on.
    And then she just lay down. I have to carry her outside and then she refuse to walk. She just stands there and look at me like I´m crazy. I walk around with a basenji who does everything to stop me from going forward….
    But on the way home she´s does everything to make me go faster!
    I think her dream is an own toilet (indoor) and an exercisingband infront of the tv....
    Or maybe she just want summer all year around.
    I love her anyway!:)

• For sure… summer all year round!!!!!!!!!!

• Our girl is afraid of things on walks at certain times of day, like Kids bouncing basketballs, people hammering , etc.

You can't give into her fears. Just tug the leash and ignore her. It also helps that our tri is fearless, so she lets him lead the way sometimes.

I also tried treats but as soon as the treats gone she wants to go home ASAP.

She knows now wont give in so she does her business as quick as possible them wants to go home.

During quite times like really early morning 6:00AM or late evening, she's fine.

Once when she heard a firework on a walk - poop squirted out of her like a tube of toothpaste she was so scared!

I have the worst of both types of dogs-the scardy dog and the aggressive biting Alpha male

• @Beckis:

My girl hate to take a walk!:rolleyes:
    She hides when I come with her sweater and tryes to bite me when I put in on.
    And then she just lay down. I have to carry her outside and then she refuse to walk. She just stands there and look at me like I´m crazy. I walk around with a basenji who does everything to stop me from going forward….
    But on the way home she´s does everything to make me go faster!
    I think her dream is an own toilet (indoor) and an exercisingband infront of the tv....
    Or maybe she just want summer all year around.
    I love her anyway!:)

Is she OK walking in the summer? Maybe she just doesn't like wearing the sweater.

• Cory avoids getting cold (especially her feet) and she's in a much warmer climate. She would probably take your dog's side on the issue of going out in the cold….especially in Sweden. Yes...I think you are correct. Your little girl wants an indoor bathroom and a treadmill in front of the TV.

Pat

• Moja loves summer! And to run without clothes and rain….but we live in sweden. Poor dog!

• Maybe Moja just hates the sweater, as elena86 suggested. My EL D was born here in Minnesota and has been through a few winters already but as soon as I put a coat on him, boy did he fight. He tried every which way to tear that thing off. And if it covered his tail, hoo boy, did he run around in circles. It wasn't until we had some real cold (5deg F/-15deg C) did he finally settle down when wearing it. Just keep trying I guess. 😉

• Beckis-my dog is exactly like Moja! 😃 She hates to take walks. She will walk in the summer but she really would much rather be at home 🙂 She is a dog who like her house & that's it.

If we were to leave a door open she WOULD never run out the door. It's happened to us twice. She just sits by the door waiting. She hides when she sees the leash to go walking. I have to throw treats out for her to walk over to the door.

• I have put many different types of coats on my dogs and which ones they wear does make a difference in their behavior. When I was going to the snow for the first time with Nicky, I bought him a snow coat. It was kind of thick and covered his legs. I put it on him, he walked his front feet out until he was lying down, rolled over on his side and looked at me as if to say, "I think I have been swallowed by some animal and have died." He will also lay on the ground and refuse to move if a gentle leader is put on, again as if to say, "If I must wear this thing I would rather never walk again." Nicky is very dramatic, he always has been.

My girls are far less dramatic but also have preference for clothes and let it be known. Rio loves her Fido Fleece for obedience class but finds it to restrictive for agility, she is not as enthusiastic with her coat on and doesn't want to take jumps. She absolutely loves her new blanket type coat that we got while we were in Palm Springs, happily stands to have it put on and likes to lay around the house in it. http://www.allseasonsproducts.us/dog_robes.htm

So maybe it is just your basenji feels like the the sweater is too confining and is one of the more dramatic in trying to tell you so.

• @jys1011:

If we were to leave a door open she WOULD never run out the door. It's happened to us twice. She just sits by the door waiting. She hides when she sees the leash to go walking. I have to throw treats out for her to walk over to the door.

Cory would run out in her quest to rid the neighborhood of squirrels! When our boxer would get out, she'd cavort down the street, zig-zagging from side to side. No one could catch her and we'd just have to wait until her great adventure was over and she was ready to come home. Our basset hound got out twice: once she fell asleep in our driveway (which isn't that long!) and the other time she only got two houses away in 45 minutes because she stopped to sniff so many things. Our lab got out a number of times but immediately ran to our front porch and sat by the front door waiting for us to discover her absence. (She had been rescued off the street and did NOT want to return to that life.)

Pat

• @jys1011:

Beckis-my dog is exactly like Moja! 😃 She hates to take walks. She will walk in the summer but she really would much rather be at home 🙂 She is a dog who like her house & that's it.

Hahahaha!
    Poor you.

• I have a lot of different coats, and some is more accepteble then others. She don´t understand that she will be freezing if she go naked this time a year. But today it was warmer outside and she was sooooooo happy!!!

• Our dogs stopped wear sweaters at about 1 1/2 years, just tried to rip them off each other.

They go out in all extreames of weather 5-10 degrees, but only to go potty & come in. When it's 27 - 40 the cold does not phase them. They still want their walks.

I find its the salt people put down as more of an issue.

• It is currently 48 F (9 C) here which is a little chilly for us. Cory acts like she is dying when she goes out - even with a coat on. She shivers pitifully. I have noticed something funny that she does: When she is on a cold floor or the cold cement patio, she sits with her feet close together so her butt doesn't touch the cold floor or ground. (reminds me of a penguin) The rest of the time, she sits like a regular dog with her feet apart. I keep a cheap fleece throw on the chair she naps on. While she is outside, I put it in the dryer for a few minutes so it will be nice and warm for her when she comes in. Not too spoiled!! LOL DH would point out that I don't do that for him!

Pat

• @BasenjiDiva:

It is currently 48 F (9 C) here which is a little chilly for us. Cory acts like she is dying when she goes out - even with a coat on. She shivers pitifully. I have noticed something funny that she does: When she is on a cold floor or the cold cement patio, she sits with her feet close together so her butt doesn't touch the cold floor or ground. (reminds me of a penguin) The rest of the time, she sits like a regular dog with her feet apart. I keep a cheap fleece throw on the chair she naps on. While she is outside, I put it in the dryer for a few minutes so it will be nice and warm for her when she comes in. Not too spoiled!! LOL DH would point out that I don't do that for him!

Pat

Moja does the same if it´s cold on the ground! She sit in the air. I had to carry a blanket when we were going to the puppy training.

• My family lives in Sweden & thus I know how cold it can get! I also know Bs HATE cold weather & getting their paws cold.

I have heard of certain B owners training their Bs to relieve themselves on potty pads or in litter boxes. Maybe if she refuses to out you could look into that as an alternative.

What part of Sweden do you live in? My family lives in Umea.

• @Ninabeana26:

My family lives in Sweden & thus I know how cold it can get! I also know Bs HATE cold weather & getting their paws cold.

I have heard of certain B owners training their Bs to relieve themselves on potty pads or in litter boxes. Maybe if she refuses to out you could look into that as an alternative.

What part of Sweden do you live in? My family lives in Umea.

I live in Varberg, at the westcoast, near gothenburg. Luckely it´s not so cold here as in Umeå.
    I heard of that too, but she walks if she has to. And it is´nt so cold here so she realy can´t complaine. She just tell me that she want to stay in bed.

• Currently (1pm) it is 1 F/-17 C here in Minnesota - even colder early this morning. When I awoke, EL D watched me from under the covers to see if I went into the bathroom or towards the yard door. As soon as he saw me go to the yard door he flew out of bed, took a stretch, and then cried until I let him out to go potty. Then he flew back into the house and under the bed covers. 😃

• Going down to -1 Sunday here in Chicago.

• Thought this cartoon was appropriate (I've always thought Marmaduke was really a basenji but the cartoonist didn't know how to portray one)
    ![](C:\My Documents\Scans_1-18-2008\marmaduke)

Suggested Topics