Skip to content

A basenji in Lake Michigan!

Show Off Your Dog
  • We spent the holiday weekend with my parents at our 60-year-old family cottage. It was Cooper's first time with sand (other than playgrounds), and his first time with waves. After seeing other dogs on the beach retrieving driftwood thrown in the water, he essentially "asked" for us to teach him the game. While he wouldn't go in higher than mid-chest, he just kept going after all the driftwood we threw in!

    Another first: Cooper was intentionally off leash at the beach on Sunday! Most of the other dogs were, and he seemed to want to be near them and near his favorite people. He behaved so well! He also enjoyed the fact that he got to sleep on the porch with my husband and I, so he could smell, hear, and see through the screens all night long.

    What an adventure!!!

    Cooper retrieving driftwood (daintily, when compared to all the big water dogs!):http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106042326796121842

    Grinning after running for the first time off leash:http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106043194379516018

    Biting (yes, biting!) the waves:http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106042584494159698

    Pouncing on the waves:http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106042468530042658

  • @subaruthie:

    We spent the holiday weekend with my parents at our 60-year-old family cottage. It was Cooper's first time with sand (other than playgrounds), and his first time with waves. After seeing other dogs on the beach retrieving driftwood thrown in the water, he essentially "asked" for us to teach him the game. While he wouldn't go in higher than mid-chest, he just kept going after all the driftwood we threw in!

    Another first: Cooper was intentionally off leash at the beach on Sunday! Most of the other dogs were, and he seemed to want to be near them and near his favorite people. He behaved so well! He also enjoyed the fact that he got to sleep on the porch with my husband and I, so he could smell, hear, and see through the screens all night long.

    What an adventure!!!

    Cooper retrieving driftwood (daintily, when compared to all the big water dogs!):http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106042326796121842

    Grinning after running for the first time off leash:http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106043194379516018

    Biting (yes, biting!) the waves:http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106042584494159698

    Pouncing on the waves:http://picasaweb.google.com/subaruthie/CottageLaborDay2007/photo#5106042468530042658

    Too cute, My Jamari loved the beach… the one time we took him when we were at a show down south... he had no fear of the water and really, really wanted that beach ball kids were playing with...

  • He looks like he's having a blast. :D

  • Hey subaruthie! We were there this weekend too! I took my son to Silver Lake and spent 3 days at the Dunes Waterfront! The lighthouse was a short skip & jump from us! What a beautiful week-end we had. Your pictures are post card perfect. Cooper looks like he's having the time of his life! I rented a dune buggy and rode the Silver Lake Sand Dunes for a couple hours. We had a blast! Some people did take their dogs in their dune buggies and spent time on Lake Michigan. I couldn't imagine taking my dogs safely in a buggy. :eek: Duke and Daisy stayed home with dad because he had to work . . . so off we went :D Couldn't ask for better weather - just beautiful!

    You can see Lake Michigan in background on RH side horizon. We rode down to the beach and all over these dunes - fun!

  • Looks like fun!! Nice pictures! Yours too, Jill!!

  • Jill,

    I've been going up there my whole life (my great grandfather built the place after WWII), and it was great to finally get to share it with my husband and dog. Didn't expect the dog to like it so much, but it seemed to be really good for him. I think the sand exfoliated his skin and actually helped his allergy problems!

    Hoping to go back soon, now that we're only 2.5 hours away in Lansing.

  • @subaruthie:

    Jill,

    I've been going up there my whole life (my great grandfather built the place after WWII), and it was great to finally get to share it with my husband and dog. Didn't expect the dog to like it so much, but it seemed to be really good for him. I think the sand exfoliated his skin and actually helped his allergy problems!

    Hoping to go back soon, now that we're only 2.5 hours away in Lansing.

    subaruthie,

    That is a beautiful piece of property your family has - right on the beach! It's priceless!! WOW - lots of history in the cottage built by your Great Grandfather. It's old, but quite "grand". I like that it's tucked and blended into the landscape. Sounds like lots of firsts for your DH and Cooper! Only 2.5 hours away - I'd be there all summer! It is 3.5 hours from us in Livonia - 1 hour to Lansing. I used to ride the Dunes a lot when I had my Honda 3-wheeler. Haven't been there in 20 years and thought I'd let my son experience the Dunes. It's a one of a kind place to ride. I love-love the Lake Michigan coast. ;) Thanks for sharing your pics - It was a wonderful weekend.

Suggested Topics

  • Am I Basenji?

    Show Off Your Dog
    20
    2 Votes
    20 Posts
    25k Views
    elbrantE
    @creambasenji Please start a new topic/thread in Member Introductions when you upload an image of your "cream" basenji. That way, more people will see it. (thanks!)
  • 1 Votes
    11 Posts
    8k Views
    T
    Hi everyone, Thanks for all of your replies! Rex just had his first vet visit (first with me at least), and he was given a clean bill of health. The vet that I saw also agrees with a lot of you that he looks like a Min Pin more than a Basenji, but he is likely still mixed with something because he's a bit too big to be a pure Min Pin. I've looked at a few DNA Dog Breed tests online, and they seem to range in price and in quality. It seems like some of the cheaper (~$50) tests are fake, but they go all the way up to almost $250 for the higher quality ones. Do any of you have experience with these DNA tests / have a brand you found reputable? I'll be sure to post the results of any of the tests with this forum! Thanks again, and Rex is doing really great in his new home!! [image: 1559586518913-img_3707-resized.jpg] [image: 1559586546977-img_3720-resized.jpg] [image: 1559586568474-img_3708-resized.jpg]
  • Does my Stella have some Basenji in her?

    Show Off Your Dog
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    6k Views
    Baba BamideleB
    @xjole said in Does my Stella have some Basenji in her?: She has the wrinkled brow, upright erect ears, white markings on feet, chest, and tip of curled tail. Her preferred way of communicating is a song-like low howl, although she can bark. She hates getting wet and her prey drive is HIIIGH. She is very reserved and cautious, although that might be due to her stray status before I adopted her. Others have commented that she looks like she has some Corgi or Shiba Inu in her, and while I do see it, I see more of the Basenji temperament in her. I've asked her vet about the DNA testing, but I've been told that it is very unreliable, so I thought I'd ask other Basenji owners what they thought! The Wisdom Panel DNA tests have been getting better every year, so it's not as much of a gamble as it used to be. That said, the test does best with a purebred, then with a two-breed dog (like a "labradoodle" or whatever), and worst with a total mutt. If your girl is indeed a mix of two purebred dogs, it might be worth a shot. Check your pet store or Amazon for the test; the one that vets give is the most expensive anyway and is only worth it if you want to know about hereditary health issues, too.
  • 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    6k Views
    MothM
    Congratulations :) What lovely dogs!
  • Our basenjis

    Show Off Your Dog
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    5k Views
    S
    We got Killian from a breeder in Ohio–-Jim Edgerton. That's where he had gotten our previous male basenji. We took Logan and Jasmine to his place and looked at several 1 year olds and a puppies and Jasmine eliminated the others and we agreed with her pick.
  • My basenjis!

    Show Off Your Dog
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    7k Views
    J
    Great looking basenjis you have there! Thanks for sharing the pictures.