Skip to content

Puppy scratching a lot especially face

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    11 Posts
    13k Views
    A
    @helle-devi said in Looking for a Basenji puppy to join the family in Los Angeles!: Denise Searcy @ Starfyre Basenji in Nuevo, CA Great! I'll PM you now. I saw the South Coast Basenji page as well and love how active the community is. I'm happy to see there are events and should I get a puppy this season, that there various meetups so I can make sure he/she can socialize well into and through adulthood. Thank you!
  • Puppy Health Issues?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    tanzaT
    Nope.... not in my opinion....not atypical. especially if these pups come for BYB or Millers.... That said, Giardia is not uncommon nor is a pup with a UTI.... In regards to Giardia, I wonder if these pups shown symptoms when still with the breeder?
  • Looking for a red and white puppy 🐶

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    G
    @helle-devi thank you very much!!!!
  • 0 Votes
    16 Posts
    24k Views
    R
    First, thank you for the honest evaluation of your situation. Basenjis are dogs that consider who they live wit, to be part of their pack - family. They only chew or destroy things when they are bored, or mad at you. (Yes, I know people will disagree, but I have had basenjis for 25 years and have witnessed this activity. This included one dog jumping on the table, with me sitting 3 feet away, and peeing in a circle, as if saying, "There, take that!”) A young basenji, under say, 8 years, will do this when left alone for so long. (Yes, I know people will disagree, but I have had basenjis for 25 years and have witnessed this activity. This included one dog jumping on the table, with me sitting 3 feet away, and peeing in a circle, as if saying, "There, take that!) You write that you live with 3 roommates. You do not mention if this will change, so I will assume it will not. Personally, I think it is very unkind (to them AND the dog) of you to bring a basenji into this living arrangement. Unless ALL the roommates understand, and agree, to sharing their lives with a dog that will require so much of their time. The tiniest thing left on the floor could be destroyed, and could even harm the dog. Bathroom doors left open? A basenji might not be able to find anything as much fun, grab the toilet paper, and run. Fun, fun, fun!!! For the dog. You are researching enough to show that you are checking really well to see if a basenji will fit into your life. In my opinion, not just yet. Maybe later when your life has settled a bit. Oh, just remembered you mentioning you studying, the dog doing its thing. It might happen, but if the dog thinks your attention should be on him/her, you may not like that something. Best of luck in your studies, and with where ever your life leads you!
  • New Basenji!!

    Basenji Talk
    19
    3 Votes
    19 Posts
    17k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @rugosa LOL on the pig ear. But it's not just a basenji trait. One night it was storming and one of my rotts was fixated on one of the bedroom windows. I looked, there was a toad on the screen! The dog was so intense about wanting to get to it, my daughter went out in the rain and moved it from the window. From then until she died, day or night, I had to let her in the bedroom when it stormed to make sure the once-in-a-lifetime visitor wasn't there. They think more than many people give them credit for.
  • Puppy teeth

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    7k Views
    JISGARDJ
    O yes, it was certainly cheaper than the Vet!!!