• He's lovely - but do cut those nails ! and while you are abut it, make sure such a handsome young man is pictured in the Basenji Pedigree database on line. You can email me privately with his parentage date of birth and a picture !

• Hi again!
    Yes his nails were a bit long when I took that photo 😂
    I promise they're better now!
    For those of you asking his sire is AM Ch Mata Hauri Jenga and the Dam is GR CH Kiva Delovely
    He's from Amera Basenjis. I would love to know of any brother or sisters out there!

• @bchatterji where are you getting your pup from?! It's good to know that he might have a friend in the area at some point!

• @11dkaelin But what is his name so I can add him to the database ?
    You can email me privately. Email address in the signature block websites is now correct !

btw - I think Mum's name is actually Kivu Delovely ?

• @11dkaelin said in Hello from Doug and Atlas:

has enjoyed being one of the few basenjis in the area. (It really just means he gets extra attention at the vet)

I hope this doesn't mean he has had to spend time at the vet's office ? Apart, of course from the initial visit you will have made for a total health check on the new puppy (as all new owners do (I HOPE !) regardless of the health certificate they should have obtained from the breeder).

And I would always prefer a vet who was 'Basenji experienced' to one who saw few of our breed. The more Basenjis on a vet's books the better. I have trained my vets over the past 40 years and am therefore confident that, whatever goes wrong, they will be on the ball !

As you have your vet to yourself - Basenji-wise - start to get him reading all about the breed and train him for future Basenjis along the way !

• @11dkaelin got our pup from Mata Hauri Basenji in NH. We have been busy getting him used to us and ourselves to him. I just say he’s got us all wrapped around his little paws.

[image size too large to upload]

• @zande Yes you're right about the mum's name. Just a mistype! He doesn't have a registered name yet. I believe I get his AKC registration after his neutering.

• @11dkaelin - That is not usual from most all responsible breeders? If they were worried about breeding him, they would have him registered as "Limited Registration" meaning they can be bred, if they are, puppies can not be registered and the dog/bitch can't be shown.

• @11dkaelin Oh dear - But I hope you are not thinking of neutering him at all, or at the very earliest not before he is totally mature - structurally and hormonally. It really is neither necessary or desirable.

• Note also that the AKC (American Kennel Club) frowns on breeders that do this (with hold registration papers) and also that the longer wait to register your pup, the more money it costs you (unless the breeder is going to pay the extra fees). As noted you should wait till the pup is mature before neutering.
    At the very least the breeder should have given you a copy of the registration along with a full pedigree.

• @tanza Your last post should be mandatory reading for ALL new puppy purchasers !

(Along with a request to supply their data for the on-line pedigree database !)

• @zande We can only hope.... It is the same for people that want hypoallergenic dogs and so many places on the web claim that they don't shed and are hypoallergenic... NOT! And many do not really understand the importance of registration of their pups... I register all my pups myself, we (myself and buyers) come to an agreement on the registered name (call name is whatever they want)....

• @tanza
    you would not believe how little information from some breeders we new owner's get.
    There are very few vets that know or understand Basenjis, very few trainers that even heard of the breed much less can help a new owner.....but with that said, I am thankful for this site and the information that all of you share with us....I personally want to thank all of you for keeping up such a great site for us newbies.
    Basenji’s are one tough little cookie with all their idiosyncrasies....it almost seems you don’t teach them, they teach you the how to’s of what not to do with a Basenji..... These little guys and gals, are amazing to me still. I marvel at how smart, agile, fast, stealthy and beautifully regal they are..2 years in and still learning.
    .....and I wouldn’t change a thing.

• I'm afraid, Sandy, that this comes down to something I have posted elsewhere - there are responsible breeders and there are puppy-mills.
    It should be obvious to anyone buying a puppy that it is not like buying a pound of butter or even a motor car.

The responsibility is also on the purchaser of that puppy to INSIST on seeing health data of the parents, being given all the paperwork appropriate and a full five generation pedigree.

If everyone did their homework and checked they had all the information before making one of the most important purchases of their lives, breeders would have to comply.

At the moment, far too many get away with minimum information and even less support.

• @sandy-hovis - Breeders that do not give information are not "responsible" breeders, at least not in my opinion. Not only is it important that all health information is given but people considering a Basenji should check out those health results for themselves, not just take someone's word for it. I always recommend, even for my puppies, that people verify. Test results for Fanconi and PRA DNA tests are public posted at www.ofa.org. You need only the registered name and/or registration number. Here is a link for one of my girls so you can see what it looks like.
    https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1415062

• He is such a pretty pretty boy!

If the price of having him registered is neutering then forget the papers. Who cares? It's also quite possible that he'll end up being quite the specimen and your breeder or some other breeder will want him intact. It's hard to say at this age but he is super handsome. And he looks like he's already in charge! LOL

No reason to neuter a male Basenji. No reason to spay a female either but there can be some inconvenience. What's funny is that these days it's more likely to see a contract provision prohibiting spay/neuter than requiring it. Times have changed as we understand the issues more fully.

• @sandy-hovis said in Hello from Doug and Atlas:

Basenji’s are one tough little cookie with all their idiosyncrasies....it almost seems you don’t teach them, they teach you the how to’s of what not to do with a Basenji..... These little guys and gals, are amazing to me still. I marvel at how smart, agile, fast, stealthy and beautifully regal they are..2 years in and still learning.
    .....and I wouldn’t change a thing.

I think it's easier to think of a Basenji as a member of a family of dogs who by breeding have learned to hunt and problem solve on their own, as opposed to those dogs bred to work closely in conjunction with humans. For the former, ignoring you and figuring things out for themselves is a survival skill, though not always one we appreciate in the moment! LOL

• @donc - Not True it is very common to have the contract require spay neuter and breeders should also always get the papers. Too many unethical people that would buy a purebred and then become a Backyard Breeder just to make money on selling puppies. But I will agree that even in a contract, will not stop BYB's or PuppyMills as they will just use one of the "off" registrations for their litters... because they don't care about registrations with AKC and many people that purchase a puppy have no idea that it is important. In the US, I have never seen a contract that "prohibited" spay/neuter unless on a show puppy and to be used by responsible people for breeding with the agreement of the breeder, AFTER all health testing is done and the pup has its championship and/or performance titles. It is also typical that the breeder is a co-owner on the pup. The issue with the papers is that they should have been passed at the time of sale. When spay/neuter happens in the end is up to the owners. I do not recommend too early but sorry to say, in my contracts on a pet puppy the contract gives an age when the pup should be spayed/neutered. I have been in the breed for 30+ years... and this is what I have always done with the pups I have bred/raised. I know that others have different opinions... but this is mine and I stick to it!

Not sure I understand this comment you made "It's also quite possible that he'll end up being quite the specimen and your breeder or some other breeder will want him intact.".. If not registered in the US with AKC there is NO responsible breeder that would want to breed to him... also without health testings. And certainly with a breeder that puts that stipulation in a contract that they would not provide the papers, certainly I would never let them use the pup either.

• Congrats guys, I think you are a lucky man.

• He is beyond cute. I want him!!!!

Suggested Topics