• I'm looking to become an owner of a Basenji, and I'm based in South East London, close to Kent. Don't mind travelling a little bit, but would need to be in England for ease of transport.

I know that breeding usually takes place at a particular time of the year, so would like to get in touch with any breeders for the next season and be put on waiting list.

Alternatively, happy to adopt / rescue and if anyone knows of any dogs needing a forever home, pls do let me know.

Would be living with 2 adults, but we also have visits from 2 children occasionally, so would need to be accustomed / advice on getting a pup accustomed with seeing young children (currently under 10)

• Email me privately. My email address can be found on the websites in my signature block. I will send you a list of breed club secretaries and you can get on a list for the coming winter's crop of pups -

• Without question Zande would be your best source. You might also want to spend some time on her website. It has a lot of great information.

Not sure what the lockdown situation is in the UK, but when possible I think the best approach would be to arrange to visit the breeder. You get to know them. They get to know you. And they know you're serious.

In my experience Basenjis get along well with children if they know them, which is pretty much the same situation as with adults.

• @donc said in Looking for a Basenji UK/London/Kent:

Not sure what the lockdown situation is in the UK, but when possible I think the best approach would be to arrange to visit the breeder. You get to know them. They get to know you.

I don't think many people in UK know the exact position on lockdown either, donc !

Basically, you can have 5 people visit you in your garden, (4 if you are already a couple). They may not go into the house to use the loo. We must remain 2 meters apart from other humans at all times but you may riot and gather in mass protest marches and throw bicycles at mounted policemen, causing injury to horses and riders.

I have several wanna-be owners in the South of England (I am about 10 miles inland from the coast) who have an open invitation to come and 'socially distance' in the woods with me, Hoover and Mku. But this entails about a 60 mile drive from London and so far no-one has taken me up on the offer. We await clarification as to distance we are permitted to drive - and also the re-opening of the village pub next door !

Thank you for the plug !

• @zande said in Looking for a Basenji UK/London/Kent:

I don't think many people in UK know the exact position on lockdown either, donc !

I'm unsure of what is "allowed" but I do know that at this point in time more is allowed than I am willing to do. I'm not ready to go to a restaurant (or pub), get on a plane, or finish our remodel. On the other hand I'm fine with limited people outside. Transmission is primarily by droplets but can occur with aerosols. Distance takes care of the droplets and air circulation takes care of the aerosols. So I would definitely take you up on your offer -- the woods are good for the soul!

Stay safe. Hopefully the crowds won't result in a spike in cases. So far I've been surprised at how holiday crowds haven't lead to outbreaks. Fingers crossed this continues.

• @donc said in Looking for a Basenji UK/London/Kent:

So I would definitely take you up on your offer -- the woods are good for the soul!

If only it didn't involve flying, DonC, you would be more than welcome ! We always enjoyed visits from overseas Basenji people.

The pub next door does have a large beer garden where, in summer, food is served. And while I wouldn't venture into the 'snug' these days, I do miss the convivial atmosphere of the bar. I don't go to supermarkets and until next week the option to go in to other shops, theatres or even the dentist or optician doesn't exist.

The woods are indeed balm to the soul and the pleasure of walking among the Spring greenery and watching two little dogs run and hunt is something even this virus can't take away.

• @zande Hi Sally, thanks for your response.

I think I checked out your website before this forum and it was really helpful, and I sent you an email then, but I sent you another one before I realised!

I just wanted to check that you've received them, my emails got the same start as my username.

• I just messaged you with my email address. There is something wrong somewhere, I am not getting emails but will look in SPAM

• Hello Sally,

Hope you don't mind but I sent you an email too (the email listed on your website), as I am in a similar location to Chateau1 and looking to become an owner of a Basenji, I hope you both don't mind me replying to in this thread. I was just happy to come across it. 🙂

Thanks

Daniel

• I upgraded to Office 365 in February. Some settings have been totally disrupted which is now only coming to light. Emails incoming to any of my several addresses have been redirected to the one which is more reliable - until the upgrade which seems to have killed off the redirect instruction !

I need to change it on my websites later today but in the meantime will message you with the one to use.

• Did you manage to find a Basenji at all ?

I have been patiently waiting for years to get one and it is time that I started to look for the perfect breeder.

I am from Kent also.

Thanks

• @buzz-carmenator I have sent everyone who mailed me a list of Breed Clubs in the UK with their secretaries email addresses and also that of the Basenji Rescue co-ordinator.

BUT - people who want a puppy are advised to read a great deal up about them, including the fact that, in the Northern Hemisphere, at least 95% of litters are born November / December ish. So puppies are unlikely to be available until late February next year at the earliest.

Basenji ladies are once-a-year girls, coming into season September / October ish for the most part.

Several of the people I have referred to individual breeders have already visited with them and, if considered suitable, have been put on lists for the next litter. However some people have decided that, on closer inspection, a Basenji is not for them and others have visits pending.

Have a good read of all the articles, including the Zande Put-Off on my website (see signature block) and then email me privately.

Suggested Topics