Free Basenji in Southern Illinoisan newspaper

• I just read in the classified pets section of The Southern Illinoisan Newspaper this ad:

FREE BASENJI, 2 yr old male, housebroken, rare, odorless, barkless dog. Good with kids. Call 618-922-4921

This paper is obviously in southern Illinois, but the area code is for the Carbondale, Marion, Murphysboro, area. About 2 hours east of St. Louis, Missouri or 6 hours south of Chicago. The paper is dated Wednesday May 30, 2007

• I called this guy but have not gotten a response. We can certainly foster him, it is just an issue of "getting" him to us. We are in Columbus, Oh. i want to find out how he is with cats as well. Hopefully, he will call me back. I can mention BRAT to him as well.

• I will be in southern illinios Carbondale on june 17 and 18th as i live in central ill, if you get a response i could potentionally pick him up then work on getting him to you, just let me know, also i have friends down there that could get him sooner if need be.

• i haven't heard anything yet.

• I live in Southern Illinois and can almost guarantee you this dog came from the same breeder I got my dog from. If so, this would be in DeSoto or Murphysboro area.

• I got Blue from a breeder in DeSoto, I also got Monty from her as well. I have noticed that she does put in her ads "rare barkless odorless breed" We all know are not necessarily barkless and definatley not odorless! I haven't gotten this weeks paper, I'll it post again if she is still running the ad.

• We def. have the same breeder! What else do you know about your dogs/ Were they registered? She had back surgery around the time our Rocky was born and did not register the litter. Please let me know what else you know about the dogs.
    Thanks!

• About 7 years ago I lived next door to her in Carbondale, just outside of Desoto. I grew to really like her dogs and would put them back over the fence if they got out. She had two brindle/white females & one red/white male. She had two litters of pups at once and I fell in love with the breed. I wanted to buy one but they were $300 and I could not afford it. After several weeks she had one puppy left. She came to my house and offered me the dog or she was going to have it put to sleep. She gave him to us because he was sick. This is when I learned that free dogs are expensive dogs. Monty was in and out of the vet for months, he was diagnosed early with an unknown auto-immune disease. He suffered from a massive bone infection in his shoulder and lost most of the mobility in his right leg & shoulder. He had calcium deposits throughout his body, his tendons teared easily, his toes were always coming out of joint. He was always still happy & very active, just very prone to hurting himself. After Monty died we answered an ad for Basenji Puppies and it turned out to be the same person. We bought Blue, who is as healthy as a dog can be. We had pick of the litter and we chose well. Neither time that I received a dog from her did I get papers, but I never asked.

• We got Rocky last May when we saw an ad in the Southern Illinoisian (the same one you mentioned). She had just had back surgery and the pups werew almost 5 months old so wew got Rocky for $100. She was asking $200 for the girls. I was amazed at how her house did not smell. She had about 8 pups and 3 adult females, 1 adult male. She had crate trained them and took alot of time to explain about the breed to us. She brought the mom in and then the 2 pups we pointed out. Rocky was the bolder of the 2. When we first bought him my kids were still in school in St Louis so we traveled back and forth every week with him and he LOVES the car. He did absoltely destroy the house when he was left alone for the first time and he escaped from the crate (he somehow turned the water on in the bathroom sink and bathtub also) but thankfully the house was totally empty and the blinds were all we had to replace. Rocky has been a perfect 1st Basenji for us and is so well behaved! We did rescue one lately and give her away and have been told she is a screamer but not our own. Rocky sold us on the breed. I called her recently for info about a girl and she was trying to get $500 for the ones she had left. She said she was getting out of the breeding for personal health reasons.

• @RHicks:

We got Rocky last May when we saw an ad in the Southern Illinoisian (the same one you mentioned). She had just had back surgery and the pups werew almost 5 months old so wew got Rocky for $100. She was asking $200 for the girls. I was amazed at how her house did not smell. She had about 8 pups and 3 adult females, 1 adult male. She had crate trained them and took alot of time to explain about the breed to us. She brought the mom in and then the 2 pups we pointed out. Rocky was the bolder of the 2. When we first bought him my kids were still in school in St Louis so we traveled back and forth every week with him and he LOVES the car. He did absoltely destroy the house when he was left alone for the first time and he escaped from the crate (he somehow turned the water on in the bathroom sink and bathtub also) but thankfully the house was totally empty and the blinds were all we had to replace. Rocky has been a perfect 1st Basenji for us and is so well behaved! We did rescue one lately and give her away and have been told she is a screamer but not our own. Rocky sold us on the breed. I called her recently for info about a girl and she was trying to get $500 for the ones she had left. She said she was getting out of the breeding for personal health reasons.

Well that is good news, getting out of the breeding business IMO…. While she might have raised and crate trained, I doubt that she did health testing... and if this is the same post as the one noting that "if no places would be PTS... sigh.... when you breed you are responsible for what you bring into this world, not just put them to sleep because you can't sell them

• I agree, I don't know how anyone can put a dog down just because it does not sell or is no longer "needed". There is a breeder near me who does that, but instead of taking the dog to the Vet, she shoots them. I think she is getting out of breeding. I have one of her older dogs that is living her life out here along with a couple of my older dogs. It tends to get costly, but it's like you said, "when you breed you are responsible for what you bring into this world" you are also responsible for what you purchase.

Suggested Topics