• At least carry him up and down the stairs when he want to go from one level to the next. Is he in pain when not trying to walk? A friend had a GSD with a similar problem and they got him a cart that supported his hind end. He could go for walks with it attached, but this only works for a dog that is tolerant of such things. I concur with the others that if life is no longer joyous for him the kindest thing is to let him go. The dog I mentioned was in good spirits and didn't seem to suffer.

• All, your kind words and thoughts of compassion toward what my Husband and I have often considered are sweet words we needed to hear. He does not appear to be in pain, though I know that this breed often suffers in silence. I tried a 60-day regiment of CBD that didn’t work (I am a big supporter, as I have used it for my migraines with a great deal of success). We do carry him up and down stairs, but he is not a fan; and while he is still in good spirits, we can feel in our hearts this is the beginning of the end: he can’t even stand being in a harness for walks let alone a cart. We will keep this group posted on our decision.

• How is his appetite? I find they will tell you when life is no longer worth living. If he is still eager for his food I would wait awhile to make your decision.

• It is hit or miss... He still loves treats and peanut butter, but it could take him 3-days to eat 1 Cup of food. He is still drinking water and going to the bathroom regularly.

• Feed him what he loves, for as long as he loves it. My girl Lady, at the end, would only eat a very few items that she had always enjoyed. She wouldn't touch "dog food". I knew then that the end was close at hand, and I probably should have made a decision earlier, but it is so hard to let them go even when you know that is the best decision. My thoughts are with you in this difficult time.

• @henderson1005
    Thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby. Hoping for the best.🙏🐾❤

• @henderson1005

Find something he does enjoy, might well be nothing like normal dog food, as his liking for peanut butter would suggest ! but give him anything he will eat, just keep the calories going in cos you don't want him going downhill generally.

Good luck - and oodles of sympathy

• @eeeefarm said in Hip Myoplasia:

I probably should have made a decision earlier, but it is so hard to let them go

I know ! I don't remember how many graves there are at the bottom of my garden - a great many. Not a single Basenji in all these years went 'naturally'. I have always had to phone the vet and fetch a spade when the dog had told me, 'this is the time.'

Sometimes I have wondered if I reacted too soon, but I always felt that, for the dog's sake, slightly too soon was better than even a little too late.

Better to say goodbye than to prolong suffering for the faithful friend.

• I wish there was something I could do to help you get through this. My thoughts are with you and your boy as you journey down this road.

• If I am not posting correctly, my apologies: your thoughts/prayers/words of comfort mean so much to me and my family (this is going to be a “first” for my Husband and I, and our 15, 12, and 4-yo). I will keep you all posted; and thank you for all of your comments/suggestions.

Suggested Topics