Posted: 3 Basenjis Rescued - Need Homes

• Yeah - What else did they expect. . . Great Dane = very big dog, etc. etc. People should have to pass a test to get a license to own the animal of interest! Some people do not have any common sense about animal sensitivities.

• @JazzysMom:

"I had no idea what this dog would be like"… of course you can put that to any breed.... "

My favorite is when people get a large dog puppy, like a Shepard or a great dane, etc and give it up at 6 - 8 mos because "we had no idea he'd get this big." Hello????

We talked about this at a seminar I went to recently. An Old English Sheepdog had been surrendered because the people didn't want such a big dog! We all rolled our eyes, but the speaker said 'what people mean when they say this, is they didn't know the dog's presence would be so big, so demanding, so much work…sometimes it is because the people didn't do any training or work with the dog...but sometimes, some dogs have pushier, more demanding temperaments, and the people didn't want that'....sad but true.

• Exactly the reason that breeders screen potential homes for pups (insert any breed)… and are not afraid to explain why this (again insert any breed) may not be the right dog for you or your family....

• Its so frustrating that people would give up a basenji for the dumb reasons, sometimes there is no choice of course like a death.
    When we go out our B is super socialized so he charms people and they ask me "where can I get a dog like that" or "he is so well behaved I want a new dog how much do they cost" and things like that. I let them know well "he" is well behaved and is very easy to live with BUT it takes time, patience, love and research. B's are so smart and for me the one I have is ideal. I feel very lucky to have found this breed as I bet all you do too.:)

• @vstripe:

…When we go out our B is super socialized so he charms people and they ask me "where can I get a dog like that"...

I always reply, "You can't. I've got the only one." 🙂 Not really, but that's what I feel like replying. People asking that question of ANY breed have a lot of learn…about ANY breed, and, generally, aren't willing to do so.

• @tanza:

Exactly… and if you go to BRAT's sight and just look at the reasons people list for giving up their dog... sigh... one of the worst was the 14 yr old that the person said, takes up too much time..??? And that would be why?... cause they don't hold their urine as well?.. they might have some health issues you have to take care of???...

Damn that's the worst I've ever heard Pat!! Well there's karma! What goes around comes around. Wait till they get old and end up in a nasty convalescent hosp cause nobody wants to take care of them.

• Can you IMAGINE ditching a dog you had had for fourteen YEARS! Disgusting….

• @Quercus:

Can you IMAGINE ditching a dog you had had for fourteen YEARS! Disgusting….

Yes it is.. and Andrea, ask Parry about it sometime.. as this dog that was dumped (Parry took her) was his Kaelii and my Mickii's Mom…. Sadie...

She was dumped back on Ken & Marilyn's doorstep... (Sadie's breeder)...Parry came and got her cause he had a lead on a possible home... she lived another very happy two years...

• @tanza:

Yes it is.. and Andrea, ask Parry about it sometime.. as this dog that was dumped (Parry took her) was his Kaelii and my Mickii's Mom…. Sadie...

She was dumped back on Ken & Marilyn's doorstep... (Sadie's breeder)...Parry came and got her cause he had a lead on a possible home... she lived another very happy two years...

Wow, that's just really unbelievable. I never thought such a thing with my Bs ever! These people have to be just really cold or they couldn't confront seeing the dog go through the older age process and eventually dying.

• I think it was the getting old and dying process… at least I like to think that, but I have seen others on BRAT's site that are in their twilight years... in for rescue... granted some are due to the owners own health problems, but not all....
    I don't even go out of town any longer unless "forced". (like your fired from your job if you don't go).. because of the fluids that Maggii needs every 3 to 4 days..... and my better half is not comfortable doing it...so it is easier on me (not worrying) to just arrange my schedule to be here....

• Me neither.

When we first met Bryan and were talking about buying Jazzy, he brought up his "return policy" that if she developed health problems we could return her, etc.
    I told him it wouldn't happen. Once they move into my house, from moment one..actually, from the moment they hit my arms, they are MINE FOREVER.

Of course, I'd tell him if a problem develops, but he ain't never gettin' these dogs back! LOL

I can't imagine not going through the whole life/death process with my dogs. Barring some unforeseen tragedy, they'll all die peacefully IN MY ARMS. {hopefully not all at the same time, LOL}. I could never abandon them because of illness or age.

• When I rescued Ringo in 1994 (2year old red/wht) He came with malobsorption, was a bit depressed/angry and could/would bite. He bit my other Basenji on the back of the neck the second night. My wife at the time picked him up from the rescue breeder here in N CA, Margaret Hoff. When I got home from work I found out these things about him and that he had bounced around to different families and got returned. I had no thought or intention of ever sending him back. I worked hard with him, some training classes, off leash outings so he could finally have some fun and changes in diet. He turned out great over time and was a star little clown when the real Ringo came out. Yes he could be a real rascal and tear a sweater up or try to aggravate me. But I'll tell you alot of pleasure came from that little guy!!

• Well, I know I wouldn't leave mine either, they would come with me. I tend to leave very few at home when I go away. When I come to CA I'll probably just leave the Boxer and the Heeler and bring the rest with me! I didn't get animals to 'compartmentalize' them. I got them to love! I also think it's absolutely disgusting to abandon a 14 year old dog.

• Arlene do you take the pooches on the plane with you??

We've been subjected to strictly road trip vacations since I refuse to leave my little ones behind.

• I refuse to fly my dogs, since they have to go in the cargo hold… only thing that I will fly with is a pup that can ride on the plane with me..... But many people do fly their dogs.... of course they really have to be really well crate trained and even then it can be really stressful....

• It takes up too much time???? WOW! These people are idiots and the dog was better off somewhere else. I'm surprised these people had it for that long to begin with.

• I have flown with Rio. Even as an adult she fits in the Sherpa and does well though she doesn't like take off.

• @lvoss:

I have flown with Rio. Even as an adult she fits in the Sherpa and does well though she doesn't like take off.

Yes, some are small enough to fly in a sherpa as adults… and if they are trained for the Sherpa, even sometimes if they are sort of really too big for the bag can get away with it... sometimes it depends on the airlines...

• @jys1011:

Arlene do you take the pooches on the plane with you??

We've been subjected to strictly road trip vacations since I refuse to leave my little ones behind.

I don't fly with the dogs-we drive everywhere. When I picked up both Sugar and Shadow from Robyn I drove to GA. I've driven to FL about 8 times, I've driven to the East Coast, Kentucky, Rhode Island, St. Louis. And I will be driving in August to Manitoba for the Canada National and to CA for the US National. I don't mind driving at all. I live near Niagara Falls, Canada.

About the only time I fly is when I go to any of the Islands where I can't get across the water driving.

• @nomrbddgs:

I don't fly with the dogs-we drive everywhere. When I picked up both Sugar and Shadow from Robyn I drove to GA. I've driven to FL about 8 times, I've driven to the East Coast, Kentucky, Rhode Island, St. Louis. And I will be driving in August to Manitoba for the Canada National and to CA for the US National. I don't mind driving at all. I live near Niagara Falls, Canada.

About the only time I fly is when I go to any of the Islands where I can't get across the water driving.

Arlene, when and where is the Canadian National this year?

Suggested Topics