• Hi everyone,

My family and I are looking to buy a basenji puppy or adopt/buy a young adult. We live in Chicago, but are willing to drive up to Wisconsin or Indiana. We have reached out to several breeders, but it's taken them a while to respond. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Have you contacted New World Basenjis? If not go to www.basenji.org and search for breeders by state. Karla is in Prospect Heights and I know she is planning a litter this Fall.

• Thanks for your reply. I reached out to Karla, but unfortunately her reservation list is already full. She pointed me towards a couple of people, but I am yet to hear back from them.

• I can help you to get a really nice puppy from Europe. I have got a 5 months old female recently and am very happy and is my whole family.

• Go w/ the young adult if you have the opportunity.Back 12 years ago when I was in search of a Basenji puppy - the breeder talked me into a 1 year old who was returned to her due to a divorce. I had my heart set on a puppy - she said "puppy stage is short-lived" - think of the advantages of having a dog that is potty trained -yet still young. It was a blessing in disguise- my dog has NEVER pooped or peed in my house - she turned out to be the most PERFECT BASENJI I could ask for - my brother who is a basenji owner says - my basenji is 1 in a million - I hit jackpot - she is PERFECT - I love her and could not live w/out her. BEST DOG IN THE WORLD!!!

• @deyand I agree with Kembe, had two puppy’s and they are hard work. The latest one was a return to the breeder and he was about ten months old. No potty training and he is awesome. Don’t think I will ever get another puppy, they are such hard work.

• @tanza Great link to the Basenji Club of America.

• @dagodingo My B was the ONLY Animal I ever paid for. I got her as a Puppy and knew her since she was 3 days old. I did not get two because I come from a family of Animal Rescuers and more than one Pup is a lot to handle. Having said that, I would get a Puppy because if you survive the first year of Puppyhood you will have a loyal companion for many years. They are not that hard to train, packing with older well-trained Dogs of any Breed will train your dog for you. The Bs model their behavior and you get a perfectly trained B! I have always had a 'Weakness' for Hounds of any type, big or small, I adore them all. Bs are my fave!

• Having gotten puppies and very young adults and adult dogs, in addition to a puppy and young dog, I'd also consider an adult from a reputable breeder. Sometimes they get dogs that come back for reasons relating to the owners (for example divorce) or the owners's health. The good thing is the breeder can really tell you what to expect and not be far off. It's also a much easier process. The only downside is that medical expenses will likely show up quicker, though that isn't necessarily the case.

I agree that a relationship you form with a puppy is different than the relationship you'd form with an adult dog. However, different isn't necessarily better. LOL

• @antigone said in Basenji puppy or a young adult:

@dagodingo My B was the ONLY Animal I ever paid for. I got her as a Puppy and knew her since she was 3 days old. I did not get two because I come from a family of Animal Rescuers and more than one Pup is a lot to handle. Having said that, I would get a Puppy because if you survive the first year of Puppyhood you will have a loyal companion for many years. They are not that hard to train, packing with older well-trained Dogs of any Breed will train your dog for you. The Bs model their behavior and you get a perfectly trained B! I have always had a 'Weakness' for Hounds of any type, big or small, I adore them all. Bs are my fave!

You get a loyal companion with adult rescues also.
    Other dogs help but you still have to train. They are great for playmates and exercising!
    No, watching the others won't give you a "perfectly trained B"... lots of care and work gets a trained dog.
    The world is full of puppy owners who haven't a clue about training and end up dumping the animals once they are out of control or not cute.

• @deyand said in Basenji puppy or a young adult:

Thanks for your reply. I reached out to Karla, but unfortunately her reservation list is already full. She pointed me towards a couple of people, but I am yet to hear back from them.

Contact all breeders and ask to be put on waiting list, even for older ones that come back. Things happen. If you want a puppy, be aware that puppy season is over and you'll most likely have to wait until fall or winter or early spring. Don't be discouraged if you are 10th on a list.. people drop off the list.

Also, if you would consider an older dog that maybe didn't make it in the ring, or bred once but won't be used again, etc. these dogs needs homes also. Keep your options open. 🙂

• @debradownsouth I disagree about letting Bs pack with older dogs. I had my B for 16 years and she was trained by older well-trained dogs. They do model their behavior after the dogs because they want to be members of the Pack.

I also had 2 Wolves and my B accepted them immediately. When I would walk the dog and the Wolf, the other dogs in the Park dragged their owners out of the Park. Canines, no matter the Breed, are terrified of Wolves.

I have video of my B and my Wolf engaging in mutual grooming. Due to that I am convinced that the Basenji is related to the Ancient Wolves. If that were not the case my B would have been terrified just like the other Dogs in the Park. She adored her Wolves and grieved when they passed.

Suggested Topics