Skip to content

New doggy....basenji or not??

Member Introductions
  • Hello. We just adopted this pretty little girl and named her Sophie. The shelter said she is a basenji mix but i don't know a lot about the breed. She is very lovey, loves laps, and crosses her front legs when she lays down which i have read are basenji behaviors. Any help with identification would he appreciated. https://photos.app.goo.gl/k7QjRyaN9quL9ABf7

  • @cburns2212 - Pretty girl, would not say any Basenji... not sure where you are reading about Basenji behaviors, but many dogs cross their front legs, not really just a Basenji trait. I have had/bred Basenjis since 1990 and I have not found that they are really lap dogs, only when it suits them....

  • In my opinion, Sophie isn't a Basenji. She looks delightful and seems to be settled with you, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with her. It's always nice to know what breed you've adopted but I don't believe that it'll have any bearing on how you feel about her. I agree with Pat that although there are always exceptions Basenjis aren't especially lap dogs.

  • My 3/4 Basenji Izzy-Bella is a TOTAL all-out lap dog, bar none. My lap has never, in 8 1/2 years, EVER been my own. It belongs to Izzy, who also claims the space between my legs, UNDER the bed covers, every single night. And based on my years of communication with a Basenji owners website, these are both totally Basenji behaviors. Think about the origin of these dogs: living outdoors in the Congo among a "clan/pack" of hunting dogs. They sleep together in a cluster, much like puppies, kittens, mice, gerbils, and other small animals. Your single Basenji claims it's people as its clan/pack, hence the sleeping and lap- claiming behaviors. It is most certainly a Basenji "thing."

  • You need to give more descriptive information like age, height, weight, any white on her feet, etc. for people to try to make a better guess. Looking at the photos I would say not Basenji. She looks more like a shepherd mix, especially with the thick tail.

Suggested Topics

  • New to Basenji breed

    Member Introductions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Hi and welcome! House training with any dog is the same boring work... with an adult it usually takes less time than a puppy because their bladders are able to hold longer, but honestly, it is absolutely necessary to watch, leash to you, crate or outside every second until you have a dog who consistently asks to or goes outside. Every time you mess up, it prolongs training. http://www.clickerlessons.com/index.htm Has training on left, behaviors such as house training on right. Another good one: https://positively.com/dog-behavior/nuisance-behaviors/potty-problems/adult-dog-housetraining/
  • New here and new to Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied
  • New Basenji(?) Owner, New to Forum

    Member Introductions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    ?
    Hi, I'm no good at guessing mixes, wonderful that you saved her from a shelter and she is cute, welcome. Jolanda and Kaiser
  • New Basenji

    Member Introductions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    8k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    Welcome Adam and Tenji to our Basenji community. We are due to get our Pup next Sat.
  • New basenji devotee

    Member Introductions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    Rita JeanR
    I will take the badge but all the love they give us back and the stories they give us from everyday life will work for my badge. Candiejohn looks like you ready for lots of fun. Rita Jean
  • New Basenji mummy.

    Member Introductions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    7k Views
    BARTB
    Welcome. I signed on to the site just to see the pics (sometimes you have to), and I've been annoying "the pack" ever since. And it's only been 3 months! But it's an awsome place to be, B-mix, rescue, show, pet - all are welcome.