Self-imposed diet - a large safety pin !

• Good luck to Keepurr, the Basenji seems to have a charmed life, at avoiding things which would normally be a curse for others.

• Really sorry this happened. Do you have a tub or large sink with a spray nozzle. You might be able to just wash the area using water pressure if the water temperature is right. Shouldn't have to blast it. A gentle stream and a bit of time would hopefully do the trick.

• Our Samoyed is a surgery waiting to happen. He will eat anything. We spend the day getting stuff out of his mouth. I used to do swapping, but then he just got MORE things to swap.

• @antigone said in Self-imposed diet - a large safety pin !:

I am now dogless because I have to research her Pedigree at the AKC and try to find a relative,

How about researching her relatives on my pedigrees on-line database. Its free and if there is something you can't find - just ask me ! If she is not there - and many pets do slip below the radar - email me any information you do have - reg#, date of birth, parents, breeder, and I will do the digging so she IS included.
    http://www.pedigrees.zandebasenjis.com

Thanks for the good wishes. Keepurr seems OK and I'll take him to the Vet tomorrow for a check. He is back on normal rations (MY idea of normal, not his !)

I don't tolerate destructiveness on the theory that I'm bigger than they are and its MY house. Perhaps that is why Keepurr feels impelled to eat his finds ?

• @donc said in Self-imposed diet - a large safety pin !:

Do you have a tub or large sink with a spray nozzle.

No, this is an old fashioned house, I daren't put him in the bath cos of getting his wound wet and until I get my new hip on Friday, I can't get down to it !

• @zande said in Self-imposed diet - a large safety pin !:

No, this is an old fashioned house, I daren't put him in the bath cos of getting his wound wet and until I get my new hip on Friday, I can't get down to it !

Of course. Good luck with your hip replacement.

• @zande - Good thing there was fabric around the point... my Kristii years ago had two surgeries... one for tumor on the liver, next one a few month later for something she ate... never could figure out what it was, but Vet suggested the same thing... a zipper! And at the same time there was a lab in for his 3rd surgery for something he ate, same suggestion... zipper... LOL

• Basenjis are a (culinary) law unto themselves. Maybe someone should try to breed a zipper into puppies ?

Phillip (vet) took photos of the X-rays on his phone and brought them out to the carpark for me to see when they first located the pin. When I went to his office yesterday I asked if he still had the shots and would he email them to me. He did - something for the family archive !

Keepurr is healing nicely, and much faster than my bank balance will, but I am not taking him to the woods yet and he'll have to get used to making do with the garden until I can drive again.

• @zande My Dog ate EVERYTHING! She chewed on the telephone line while I was talking! It was then I understood that you have to Basenji Proof your home as you would for a toddler! Since she enjoyed climbing Trees at the Horse Farm, one day she climbed too high and was afraid to get down. Not wanting to call the Fire Department to get my DOG out of a Tree I got a huge Draft Horse Blanket and we held it until she got really anxious and jumped off and landed unharmed. She never climbed that particular tree again.

I figured the best way for her to be a good Canine/Lupine Citizen was for her to Pack with older Dogs. It is very stress-free for the Dog and its Steward. If she did something I did not like, I ignored her. These Dogs are such Pack animals and You being the Alpha ignoring them upsets them. I never raised my voice for all of the years I had her and I found that the next time I get a Basenji I will train it the same way.

I made up this list of Tiggy Omnimedia as the Antidote to Martha Stewart. Things liked 'Chewed CDs make great Coasters', 'Bikini to thong conversion in 10 Minutes' and my fave was 'You did NOT need that!' I saved it and it is under the Cedar Box where her Remains are. Tomorrow, June 29th is the 4th Anniversary of her Death. People who knew her made Donations to Shelters and some sent Mass Cards (I am not sure which Religion she would have been because my late Father was Jewish and my Mom is a Catholic.) I also got Flowers and Sympathy Cards. My little Homewrecker was adored by a lot of people. Even the DENTIST and Her Vet sent sympathy Cards.

So learn to live defensively because they cannot manage themselves and that is our job to protect them from themselves! More people should read about the Basenji which loosely translated from Congolese means 'Wild Thing'. Priceless!

• @zande I have to find Her AKC Papers. The Breeder named her 'Mbera which means Piano. She was a lovely Tri color with a Bandit's Mask over her eyes. I saw her when she was 3 days old and since I took care of her Breeder's Horses when she went to the Belgian Congo which is now called The Democratic Republic of the Congo, I got the pick of the Litter.

She was the only Tri and had a pink nose. I visited her a few times a week and let her stay with her Mother and siblings for 12 weeks because this gives them a chance to learn things from their Mother. She was always the first in this Wave of Puppies that would lay all over me and play with whatever body part they could get their teeth into! I would sit on the floor and laugh hysterically because there is NOTHING better for a true Basenji lover than to be stuck in that wave of Puppies!

When I find her AKC Papers I will give the info to you. It is too depressing for me to do it myself. Since I lost her I have also lost 'Her' Cat and Wolf. I lost my 25-year-old Quarterhorse to EPM. I had him since he was 4 and still have not gotten over losing him or my Dog.

I do want a Relative because even though it won't be the same as my Dog it may be close. Having survived Basenji Boot Camp I am 1000000% prepared!

Thanks!

• @debradownsouth Those are very intelligent Dogs. They are beautiful but not too much like a Basenji. Dp you Breed both?

Sometimes they are just 'playing' us to get our attention. I actually LOVE the Basenjis personality. Mine did not Yodel until she was 14 years old and I heard it and laughed myself silly. I said why have you been holding out on me for the last 14 years Antigone? She gave me her paw.

I love all animals but I have a weakness for Hounds. My first Dog was a Beagle and I was 7 years old when I got him. He had a stroke when I was 23 years old. I went with my Mom to have him put to sleep. His remains are in my Mother's Closet with some Cats and at least 4 more Dogs. She is going to give his remains to me. She intends to be buried with ALL of the pets that are not in the Back Yard. We tell her she will need a double wide Casket to include all of the pets!

If I had your Dog I would ask him to lay down and let him know the game is over because you are tired. He definitely sounds like a gorgeous walking Snowball!

🙂

• @antigone said in Self-imposed diet - a large safety pin !:

I have to find Her AKC Papers. The Breeder named her 'Mbera which means Piano.
    I have done a thorough search on my laptop (of the database which I thought to put onto it last night to have it in the hospital). She isn't there but if you say she has AKC reg# I will try there. If 'Mbera is the first word of her name I should find her. IF I can get to the AKC from here ! But I have different browsers on the desk & laptops. But I will definitely do the digging for you and her papers would giveme her parents.
    Typing isn't easy on my back in bed but the new hip is safely installed. I hope to be home no later than Monday

• I am not sure if I spelled her name correctly but her Breeder was Cathy Baron in NJ. She no longer Breeds these Dogs and I had been trying for years to find her. I wanted another Puppy from her because even though my little Dog had no use for Canines she loved babies. Kittens and Puppies were okay with her.

She was raised with Wolves and the Wolf is the Basenjis closest relation one may rightly say this 2k plus Dogs are the first dog in the history of Canines. It also explains why she adored the 2 Wolves I rescued from the Dog Pound were accepted by her immediately!

I know where the Envelope with her Papers are but cannot get to them myself. One of my Senior Cats caused me to fall 3x in a week and I had an X-Ray and I fractured the First Vertebrate in my Spine. I will ask a friend to get them for me.

Thanks!

• @antigone

Basenjis are one of the earliest breeds, not the earliest. Well if they are, science hasn't proven it yet
    https://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/extinct-primitive-or-ancient-which-are-the-oldest-dog-breeds

Oh no! Hope your back gets better soon. (EDITED, I put our.. Freudian slip I guess since mine hurts too.)

I found this record:

NYANGA REVEILLE REDBUD. HM 74812303. 11-19-97
    By Ch Reveille Boutonniere JC - Ch Blucrest Bound for Fame.
    Owner: Catherine Baron, Califon, NJ 07830. Breeder: Jon W Draud MD & Damara Bolte'.
    (Handler: Damara Bolte' PHA).

In 1997:
    0_1530411399117_375d507f-1cd5-406c-a53c-75af7be15c82-image.png

Since she owned a Damara Bolte dog, maybe you can contact her and find a dog with similar bloodlines.
    Virginia: Damara Bolte'
    Mentor Index
    Contact
    Email:
    mbliki@gmail.com

• That is very helpful and will give me something to work on when I get out of hospital. Hopefully tomorrow but maybe not till Tuesday

• @zande said in Self-imposed diet - a large safety pin !:

That is very helpful and will give me something to work on when I get out of hospital. Hopefully tomorrow but maybe not till Tuesday

Hope it's tomorrow. Hospitals are unpleasant and boring places. Also hope your recovery is proceeding apace. Nice to see you are up to posting. That's a good sign.

• @debradownsouth Thia is awesome! Thanks so much! I have been Searching for her for years. Her AKC papers has a photograph and she was so tiny that when I took her home so my Mother and sisters could meet her they had a little Cat Bed called a Kitty Cup and she curled up in there and slept for a few hours. I have researched the History of the Breed and they show up on the Reliefs of the Egyptian Pharoes. They loved the Breed so much that when they died they would kill them and make little mummies out of them. That is where they first show up.

I will check out the article but we have the ancient records from Egypt and it is rather hard to refute that.

Thanks again for the info!

• @debradownsouth I read the article and saw the Samoyed and the Akita are included. They did not include the smaller Akita-Inu which has the tail just like the Basenjis. I still think the records we have from Egypt prove the Basenji is the oldest breed. I had an Akita that my ex-husband had to have. and paid $250.00 for him because he was not a good dog for showing because his left ear would not stand up straight!

I adored that Puppy and I was walking him in the snow when I slipped on Ice in the Parking Lot of my Condo and fractured my left leg in 12 places. I had to have reconstructive Surgery. While I was in the Hospital my ex called the Akita Rescue Society and he gave him away without telling me.

He also gave the Pup a most common name which was Max! My late Father adored him and his German Shepherd Mix and his Rottweiler accepted Max immediately. The Baby Lupines, Carnivores all have the same face so that Predictors know they are harmless.

I never forgave him for giving Max away. Max was rescued by an Electrician and went to work with the guy and he sent me some photos and he looked happy. My back is still screwed!

• @donc said in Self-imposed diet - a large safety pin !:

Hope it's tomorrow. Hospitals are unpleasant and boring places

Tuesday. But I have been for long walks on two sticks abs gave a lovely bright sunlit room with lots of space, andthe nurses are lovely. Not like Marvin had in the State hospital which was terrible. I've paid medical insurance for years so the new hip was done in a private Hospital where the care is super. Paul is looking the Pin Eater and his sister and they are missing Mom badly

• @debradownsouth This is not the same Dog. Mine was born on December 23rd 1998. She was the only Dog I ever paid for with the exception of my Ex Husband's Akita. I saw her on December 26 because Christmas was going on. So this is not the same dog! I will write to har and see what she can tell me.

Regarding Great Adventure, I have audio tape of a brutal man who was slaughtering Horses in NJ and he says that he drops off Horses at the Safari Park. I was investigating him with my friend Amanda Sorvino and her Dad is Paul Sorvino of Goodfellas and her older sister Mira won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for Mighty Aphrodite.

So yes I have Proof because she also followed him there at 3am so she could see him drop the Horses off. If you like I can put you in touch with her.

Monty J Merola was a brutal man and he died of Lymphoma from eating the meat of the Horses he slaughtered. Horse meat causes Cancer because the Medications are there at the cellular level and they never purge the body. Dr. Ann Marini who is a Neurologist has a detailed study of the use of medications in Horse Meat. Google her.

Thanks!

Suggested Topics