Skip to content

Scooting and licking tail

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    29 Posts
    10k Views
    wizardW
    Just because the breeder's other litters didn't show signs of allergies doesn't mean yours won't have an allergy to the corn. Dogs like people are individuals and allergies aren't necessarily genetically passed along. But as someone mentioned, a lot of allergies are environmental. But it is important to "test" to find out - make detailed notes on when the hot spots become most irritating; is it right after the dog has been outside after a rain where soil molds become an issue; are there certain blankets or crate pads that cause an issue; and don't forget to run a food test eliminating corn, as it might not be the corn but some other ingredient.
  • Tail injury

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied
  • Scooting in grass

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    12k Views
    MaxBooBooBearM
    @sharronhurlbut: I would take the dog to the vet and have the dog checked and glands expressed. BUT in the meantime… I would start adding a large tablespoon of pumpkin canned not pie makings into the food at every meal, this will keep the glands from becoming an issue in the future. at least that has worked for my dogs. What I meant by being "proactive" was to take the dog to the vet (like Sharron recommended)–but also just to keep an eye out for any problems (like you've been doing) and take action. I happened to have a B who needed to be manually expressed every couple of weeks for about the last 6 yrs of his life--his glands were situated abnormally--and I didn't want to put him through surgery. But I have heard that adding pumpkin to the food can really help.
  • Tail question?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    6k Views
    BaMicaB
    LOL.:D You must have been a beautiful baby…with beeautifooull eyes and a curly tail!:) BaMicas Mom
  • Itchy Tail?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    tanzaT
    This tail "crude" that I am talking about is only on the tip of the tail, no place else…. however never hurts to make sure it is not mange...
  • Tail wagging

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    94
    0 Votes
    94 Posts
    90k Views
    bewlerB
    Cody has never wagged his tail. EVER. Having only had happy tail waggers previously (a Golden retriever mix for example - they are exemplary tail waggers), I initially found this very disconcerting, but I have learned to read his other signals to know when he is happy. It's weird to me, but his tails never moves with his emotions. Sometimes it relaxes and straightens when he is relaxed, but that's it. So, I just watch the rest of his body language to gauge how he's feeling. From what I see on this forum, it's not that uncommon. But - I am insanely jealous of those folks whose Basenjis wag!!!! LOL!