Skip to content

Food and hygiene

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Food questions

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    Q
    Agree with all above - you also might like to try mixing a teaspoon of sardine/tuna with a little water and spreading it over the food. Good luck!
  • Has anyone used BilJac food?

    Basenji Talk
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    E
    I was reading up a bit on fanconi and found this website that states as part of the protocol: (http://www.basenji.org/ClubDocs/fanconiprotocol2003.pdf) 2. Any good quality dry food may be fed, with the addition of at least one can per week of HIGH PROTIEN ?wet meat? mammal meat based dog food (Beef, Lamb?etc.) to replace long-chain amino acids and phosphorus. Poultry based foods have proven far less effective in management of this disorder then mammal based meats. The only exception to this high protien diet, in this protien-losing uropathy, is documented renal failure (increasing BUN/CREATININE). In this type situation, see the ?RENAL FAILURE HYBRID PROTOCOL? section later in this instruction set My dog doesn't have this but I feed Wellness Core and she loves it. I also feed senior wellness to my older chow who's a picky eater and just add a bit of wet sometimes and he gobbles it up :)
  • Dog food question, need help

    Basenji Talk
    41
    0 Votes
    41 Posts
    27k Views
    bellabasenjiB
    I just bought Bella some Merricks Grammy's Pot Pie (dry). It sounds so good I'm tempted to give it a try, LOL!!! I haven't given it to her yet, I'm trying to time it out so I can introduce it slowly… I had to get it at a feed & seed supply store. It IS sad that people are uneducated about the differences of dog foods… but what is worse is that some of these companies don't care how bad the food is for our pets. Another example of how money is more important in their pocket... BTW, for treats we like Old Mother Hubbard!!!:D
  • Having trouble getting your basenji to eat their food?

    Basenji Talk
    33
    1 Votes
    33 Posts
    20k Views
    D
    Check for a cracked tooth.
  • "Catching" food.

    Basenji Talk
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    20k Views
    RivermoonR
    Neither of mine will catch food, it hits them in the face and falls to the floor too. They're both pretty good at catching toys when I tell them to but do get bored with that game rather qiuckly.
  • Favorite Dog Food, says Caesar!

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    lvossL
    I slice it and then cube it. Each cube ends up being no bigger than about a pea. I then have storage container that I put it in and keep it in the refrigerator. The great thing about it is that I can easily break the cube into even smaller pieces while I am working the dogs so they last the entire training class without really overfeeding the dogs.