Poop Problem
  • J

@DebraDownSouth, I plan on telling my vet that it didn't work. Can you suggest any specific brand that carries no grain and low fiber? If not I can always google it and do some research! Thanks!

• J

@tanza, it is good to see that quite a few Basenji owners have this "walking" trait, it's relieving! Regarding her poop, it has been watery for about 3 weeks. She was eating Fromm Puppy Gold,. My breeder told me to transition to adult food around 6 months. I will look into the Probiotic!Thanks !

• @jamato - even Fromms has grain free, just go to their website...

• @jamato - You didn't say what the breeder was feeding and if you changed it , when.... by the way, like Debra, I have never used puppy food on my litters or pups... it is NOT need if you use a good quality grain free kibble... my litters/pups eat the same as the adults...

• J

@tanza, my breeder had her on Fromm Puppy Gold

• J

@tanza, @DebraDownSouth, I spoke to my vet. He told me to look into Orijen Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. It looks like a good option, but since the both of you are more experienced with this breed, I would love your opinions. My breeder said that it is a wonderful food as well. If you guys say it's a better option, I will purchase it right away. With that being said, how do you suggest i transition my Basenji to it? This will now be her third food in a couple of months. Thank you for your assistance! You have been very helpful!

• To deal with the diarhea now, you could try adding some pumpkin (your vet should have suggested that). But changing diets will probably help in the long run.

• @jamato - It is a good food.... or you could just change to Fromms adult, I use Surf & Turf. However, that said and the fact that the diarhea started while on the same food that she was eating leads me to believe that there is something else going on then a food issue.
    As far as a transition, start by adding a few kibbles at a time, increase over about 2 to 3 wks.
    I don't have that issue (changing foods) as I change all the time... and my Basenjis are used to many different kinds of foods (for kibble always grain free) including veggies, fruits.....

• Like Pat, I rotate foods, give them some of most things I eat (just a bite or 2).. so changing foods fast isn't an issue. Right now, yes do it slowly. Origen is good. And yeah to the pumpkin suggestion.. a few spoons can help help firm up the stools.

Views