• Hi Everyone I am studying to be a dog behaviourist in the UK and have been given the project of studying Basenjis. I am now really in love with them! I wondered if any of you knew of a Basenji that had carried out an heroic act, saved someone or another animal etc., or was famous for something? It would be brilliant to include this in what I am writing on the breed. Thank you so much in advance for your helpx

• Great work. There are far too few dog people with any knowledge about the race. I don't know of a heroic basenji, but you could try and find the movie 'Goodbye, my Lady' about a boy and his b. Also former Dutch queen Juliana had a basenji in the 70's: http://www.jambojamilah.de/jambo/basenjiindenmedien/sonstigebasenjiberichte/index.html. If you google 'koningin Juliana Zara basenji' you will find more pictures. Good luck!

• Oh man, there would have been the perfect website for you. About 10 years ago those who were on the old B-list (which is actually still in existence) were collecting inspiring Basenji stories of exactly what you are looking for. A website with these stories was created for a B-lister who was battling cancer but apparently the Geocities-hosted website is no longer in existence. There were some really pretty amazing, and special stories. I'll see what I can round up for you.
    -Joanne

• Thank you both so much! I will follow the link now and really hope you will be able to locate some stories that I can share with people. Whilst Basenji is a breed recognised by the Kennel Club in the UK, there aren't many people seen with them so it will be a great way to help people see the breed. Thank youx

• @kjdonkers GoodBye my Lady is such a great show!! A tear jerker for sure but great!! You can find this movie on YouTube. I can't get to the link at the moment.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Oh wow this is brilliant thank you so much! I am going to sit down and watch this later on...thank youxxxxx

• Caroline, my email address is giza.1@mcsnet.ca
    Can you email me, then I can email stuff to you so it won't have to go through the Forums.
    I've got people trying to round up some of those stories.
    -Joanne

• Okay, I've got a story that may, or may not, be what you are looking for. I remember when this was going on. I'm posting it on the Forums because anybody who is involved in the show scene may remember this too. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19971019&slug=2566856
    -Joanne

• @giza1 What an amazing story!! Poor lil' fella' but it all worked out in the end! I'd just finished eating a while ago & when I came back to the pc, it had a slide show going as a screen saver. I never set up a screen saver on this pc!! Of course, all of the pictures were of my Dorie, the b I lost Aug.24 of this year. You can guess what I did for about 30 min.. Then I read the story about Dakota! I was sad, then happy & now, I'm stuck somewhere in between the two ~ BUT!! This story proves what the love, drive and compassion of a Basenji can & will go thru because, "Affairs of the Heart" (Love) must be tended to ~ not just in man but in our dogs life too! Proves how loyal these "fierce" little stinkers are!! Great read!! Rated: *****'s from me!!

• @giza1 Hi there, my email address is caroline1706@hotmail.co.uk thankyoux

Suggested Topics