Getting enough Exercise- off leash

• Hi Basenji People!
    We do not have a B yet- in March we will be getting our pup!

I have heard not to have Basenji's off leash- if this is the case, how do you give them enough hearty exercise? We live in the country, so there are plenty of places to go where there is no danger of cars (but probably lot's of woodland creatures to chase).

Please let me know how you do it!

Thank you!

• For me it was easy I just bought him up with another dog that was trained to do as commanded . I should be ashamed of myself as I have not had one one on one training session with him but he sits stays and comes to my signal. I have found if you get them young and work them with a good dog they pick up good habits. I feel they do there best when they can exercise but just don't let them chase things of it will end with trouble.

• Most people don't let them off leash except in fenced areas. It is possible to teach a Basenji to be reliable off leash…...depending on the dog. My very first Basenji was solid on recalls, but my others have been variable. Starting young is the best advice! Coming to you should be the most attractive thing in their world. Figuring out how to make it so can be challenging! For your dog's safety, best to err on the side of caution.

Alternatively, you can give good exercise with a bicycle, or jogging, or on a long line.

• Lots of recalls just for the favorite treat, every time. Once that's consistent, slowly decrease the treats per recall.
    I did this for a 13 year old at my Husband's family farm. He ran free with the other dogs for as long as he wanted.
    I also did this with a pup, who has the same recall at the farm. Ironically, at our home (an acreage) she has no recall…

• I used to link 2 15foot leads together.

• I fortunately have a large fenced area, but when I lived in an apartment, I took my dogs out on horse lunge lines connected so they had about 40 ft.

• First Basenji's

@agilebasenji:

I used to link 2 15foot leads together.

this response is viable for someone without a fenced in area. Or just buy one piece of lanyard rope, maybe strong yet light for rock climbing or boating, as too light a lanyard could get tangled around legs and or lacerate a leg/paw. so a round rope, tie it to your belt or waist, and the object of interest can be one of those fly chasers, https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M62a79714798d7469f1c32c3074b62ccco0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0 (akin to a cat toy) (make one on the end of a fishing pole….) a Frisbee, ball whatever. to get your puppy used to dragging something around, let a leash be dragged in the home under supervision of course to prevent chewing. I have found that most puppies will follow you closely outside before they get big and brave! Being tethered to you outside of his crate around the house is a good way to prevent toilet mistakes, get used to you and commands etc: see Dr sofia Yin http://drsophiayin.com/perfectpuppy/for/dog-puppy-owners

• We have our 2 B's as much off leash as possible; we check for traffic and game. They are fine.
    Train on recall from an early start, always carry treats and let your B know you carry them.
    If off leash is not possible, we let them sniff around as much as they like, so they work their brain, which tires them.
    When there's space and no other dogs, we use flexilines.

• First Basenji's

@Knipper:

Lots of recalls just for the favorite treat, every time. Once that's consistent, slowly decrease the treats per recall.
    I did this for a 13 year old at my Husband's family farm. He ran free with the other dogs for as long as he wanted.
    I also did this with a pup, who has the same recall at the farm. Ironically, at our home (an acreage) she has no recall…

just to add to this for 'the favorite treat', I added a whistle sound so that even to this day 5 years later, if I blow the whistle, he comes, I pay with a treat….99.98% reliable!!!! even when they are visiting Aunt Annette who gives them treats and it takes a good 3 minutes to get back home! (all three actually! since I live on 10acres unfenced and really nice neighbors)

• We only let Chance and Kiya off leash in the backyard and we do take them on long leashed walks to the park, which is good for us and them. Basenji's are sighthounds, so any sight of a squirrel or a bird will send them on a chase.

Suggested Topics