Skip to content

Tail question?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Hi, all :)

    I just had a quick question about my Daisy's tail.

    We found her roaming the streets alone, when she was about 8 weeks old. I had no idea of her brred, until the vet mentioned it. My question is about her tail. She doesn't have the very tight curled tail I've seen in most other Basenjis. Her is more of a …half-moon shape. Is this naturally occuring in other basenjis, or should I conclude that she is mixed?

    Thanks all! :)

    Rusti

  • Not necessarily. Some purebred basenjis have loosely curled tails. Do you have pictures of her?

  • Hi again,

    Here's the little mini-collage I have of her. The tail pic is as good as I could get of her today. She was far more interested in what I was doing, to stand still for a pic! I had to get that one while she was preoccupied :) That's about as much as her tail curls, but it's usually raised higher, if that makes any sense?

  • I would say definitley a basenji mix…but not likely full basenji. How big is she?

  • She's about….18" at the shoulder, maybe a little less - she was way too wiggly, lol, and at her last weigh-in a couple weeks ago, 23 lbs. I think she's about 9 months old or so. I kinda figured she was a mix :) Doesn't matter all that much really, i love her to death. Never met a dog with such a cool personality. Or one that has figured out that she can climb a tarp and get up on the roof, for thast matter. The tarp has since been removed, heh. I was just mostly curious, since she looked so much like the pics I saw, minus the tail!

  • Well…she's the right size. Something about her hair coat doesn't look right for Basenji....but her face looks VERY much like a B. And it sounds like she behaves like a B! Welcome to the forum :)

  • If i had to guess on a mix i would say a yellow lab.

  • She's so cute! I like how her ears droop a little…

  • LOL.:D You must have been a beautiful baby…with beeautifooull eyes and a curly tail!:)
    BaMicas Mom

Suggested Topics

  • Droopy tail

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    8k Views
    ColoradicalC
    My 16 month old female B droops her trail double-curled as submissive behavior. It'll almost be between her legs but the second curl at the tip will remain curled, it's just the larger curl that she undoes when she wants it seems. Sometimes she'll maintain that posture when running away from a strange, new but large dog she hasn't yet become accustomed to chewing on.
  • Delicate question

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    P
    Perfectly normal - please don't worry.
  • Questions about roundworms

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    9k Views
    P
    Who would have thought that worms were so interesting. My farm vet insists that dogs be wormed monthly but mine are on a weekly homeopathic wormer. I'm so pleased that Nahla has got rid of hers. And i accept what others have said about the possibility of a pup womitting up a worming tablet.
  • Question of Spay

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    5k Views
    snorky998S
    Katie is a strange one. The vet taught us how to check for mammary cancer because of the body change, but she's still in the clear. This is the same dog that broke out in hives so bad during her first and only heat, she was put on Methylpredisolone for the duration. The more she licked to keep herself clean, the more hives she got. She was either allergic to herself, or so stressed nerves got the better of her and brought out hive like bumps. Never had a allergy/hives outbreak since. She's a strange one for sure.
  • Question

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    20k Views
    S
    Oh, I am sorry about the loss of your b to cars. Sadly, when they get out, the are often not car smart. Hugs.
  • Question About Fanconi

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied