• Not mixed? looks like a Basenji/Chihuahua from the second pic

• @Tieghan:

Not mixed? looks like a Basenji/Chihuahua from the second pic

Yeah that's what I originally thought too but I couldn't find any Basenchi mixes online that retained the basenji coat patterns. I figured chi coat color was genetically dominating the basenji one, and perhaps it was just that basenji puppies look different from adults. Only things I can point out that look unusual are shorter thicker legs and high shoulder hunch when eating which sound like puppy traits. Maybe it's just a genetic deformity, lol. Not always do puppies turn out perfect. 🙂 She is cute, though!

• The face profile certainly doesn't look like purebred Basenji. I assume that is where you are seeing Chihuahua. Me too! A side view of her standing would be helpful.

• head is all wrong for a purebred, but suspect a mix of something. Does she bark?

• @jcadduono:

She is most certainly a basenji,….
    The basenji coloring patterns don't seem to stay with mixed breeds from the ones I've seen.

Have to disagree, many mixes same coloring. Nor does this puppy look to be a purebred. Mixed with what is almost impossible to say.

• @jcadduono:

Yeah that's what I originally thought too but I couldn't find any Basenchi mixes online that retained the basenji coat patterns.

My experience is precisely opposite… many if not most do have the right color. A very funny group of mix are the Camp Basenji rescued "lowriders"... mixes with basenji and some dwarf legged breed, not only same colors but most yodel and should more like basenjis than mine! If you go to BRAT, click on the mixes .. click each state, most look very basenji color.

https://youtu.be/YBQUFd9wew8

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?15754-My-life-as-Calvin&p=169186#post169186

• [My experience is precisely opposite… many if not most do have the right color. A very funny group of mix are the Camp Basenji rescued "lowriders"... mixes with basenji and some dwarf legged breed, not only same colors but most yodel and should more like basenjis than mine! If you go to BRAT, click on the mixes .. click each state, most look very basenji color.

https://youtu.be/YBQUFd9wew8

http://www.basenjiforums.com/showthread.php?15754-My-life-as-Calvin&p=169186#post169186

My "job" with BRAT is to search the internet rescue sites daily looking for Basenjis and high mixes who may need help. One of the determining factors I always use is to see if the dog has hints of the Irish pattern (white on the feet, belly, chest, and tail tip). I don't think there's a Basenji mix without it. On the other hand, it seems many dogs with Irish white and large, prick ears are designated as "Basenji" by the shelters. Most aren't, but there are certainly some, and they always have a "look". I think that the dog that this thread was originally about is definitely part Basenji.
    -Joanne

• @giza1:

My "job" with BRAT is to search the internet rescue sites daily looking for Basenjis and high mixes who may need help. One of the determining factors I always use is to see if the dog has hints of the Irish pattern (white on the feet, belly, chest, and tail tip). I don't think there's a Basenji mix without it. On the other hand, it seems many dogs with Irish white and large, prick ears are designated as "Basenji" by the shelters. Most aren't, but there are certainly some, and they always have a "look". I think that the dog that this thread was originally about is definitely part Basenji.
    -Joanne

Check out Okapi on the Colorado Basenji Rescue website. I've always thought the Irish marking gene was pretty strong, but Okapi sure looks mostly basenji. 😉 I also think the OP's dog is quite possibly a b-mix. either way, very cute

• [Check out Okapi on the Colorado Basenji Rescue website. I've always thought the Irish marking gene was pretty strong, but Okapi sure looks mostly basenji. 😉 I also think the OP's dog is quite possibly a b-mix. either way, very cute]

Oh, I know, he doesn't have a lot of white, but he does have a little white in the appropriate places. That's all that matters to be considered Irish pattern, white on the face and collar is always optional. They seem to like 'em flashy (lots of white) for the show ring, but I prefer less white, especially on the face; but I do like lots of white on a tri.
    -Joanne

• i'm not sure, the write up says she doesn't have white feet or white on the tail. I actually prefer less white too. 🙂

• You had me confused and then I realized you meant the write up on the other rescue (Okapi)…
    I like less white also. So I had to go look... wow, coloring reminds me of minpins. 🙂 Cute dog though.

Suggested Topics