My new brindle bundle of joy…

• Kaiser has barked a few times one or two bark/woofs when alerted by someone he wasn't sure about only while in the yard and they are definitely not a normal bark, more a deep woof and we usually jump as he is otherwise so silent and it catches us off guard and I do actually enjoy it when I hear him it makes me laugh.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• All these cute barkers– who knew! Spencer was also pretty mute, Chealsie, so it feels different to have a talker. Ava marches to her own tune-- that's for sure. I read these posts about all these other new puppies that are already housetrained, little angels in their crates and sleeping all night at 10 and 11 weeks, and it just makes me cry. Ava is almost twice that age.

• Lol..she doesn't seem to care about what others want or do…she will get there, and when she does it will feel even more rewarding

• I wish I still thought that. I really do.

• I waited a good long while before things clicked for Oakley…well over 6months..at least 16 for the eye of the storm to pass..to this day (he's 28months) I'm still shocked at the progress he's made! I remember thinking, "this is going to be my life for the next 15 years!!"

Any new pics??

• @ownedbyspencer:

I wish I still thought that. I really do.

Hang in there! I really admire your tenacity.

• Add my Perry to the list of Basenjis that bark. One of my others did as well. Usually not more than one bark at a time, usually when he feels threatened or excited by something, or frustrated waiting for treats or dinner.

I have been away for a week, so was hoping things with Ava had turned the corner by now. She sounds to me like a child trying to push the boundaries on every occasion. I do think a "reboot" in a different environment might just be the ticket…...if, and it's a big if…..you can find the right person to work with her.

• Yes, finding the right trainer is an ongoing problem, and I don't want to leave her somewhere without knowing that she is in the best hands. I need a Basenji Whisperer, and I can't seem to find one.

I would be more likely to chalk part of it up to "owner error," except experienced trainers aren't doing any better. Admittedly, I have a soft touch and believe strongly in positive reinforcement. Some trainers– perhaps many-- rely on harsher methods with difficult dogs. I just parted company with the last trainer, because she said Ava couldn't be trained without a "sterner" hand-- i.e., a choke collar. When I couldn't go along with that, she said she couldn't help us. So that was that. I was glad to see her go.

Am I wrong? Am I being too soft? I know I have a difficult dog-- a stubborn, dominant and yes, a wild dog-- and that training her isn't easy. It's true that gentle discipline and positive reinforcement aren't really working so well. But I know there's a good dog in there. How do we reach her?

• @ownedbyspencer:

Am I being too soft? I know I have a difficult dog– a stubborn, dominant and yes, a wild dog-- and that training her isn't easy. It's true that gentle discipline and positive reinforcement aren't really working so well. But I know there's a good dog in there. How do we reach her?

I think there is a possibility that a different approach, i.e. a firmer hand, could work, but it takes a very experienced and observant trainer to get a little tougher without pushing too far. Some animals will not respect you without "proof" that they should, but it is a fine line. Overdoing discipline can land you in big trouble with the wrong critter (I had a horse who went from "stubborn" to "scared" in a split second, and you did not want to cross that line with him! Scared large animals are dangerous…...to themselves and others). But I have seen magic worked if the trainer is experienced enough to "read" the animal correctly. Tricky thing is finding that special trainer!!

• So a choke collar might be an acceptable way to train in Ava's case? I believe that there is a way to do it using only the noise as a negative reinforcement (in much the way that the clicker is a positive reinforcement). I might not be so opposed to that, if someone knew exactly how to do it, but some of the trainers I've talked to believe in a physical correction, with the animal's behavior determining how "physical" the correction would be. As stubborn as Ava is, I would be afraid they would hurt her. She's such a little thing to be so mulish.

• @ownedbyspencer:

So a choke collar might be an acceptable way to train in Ava's case? I believe that there is a way to do it using only the noise as a negative reinforcement (in much the way that the clicker is a positive reinforcement). I might not be so opposed to that, if someone knew exactly how to do it, but some of the trainers I've talked to believe in a physical correction, with the animal's behavior determining how "physical" the correction would be. As stubborn as Ava is, I would be afraid they would hurt her. She's such a little thing to be so mulish.

I wouldn't use a choke collar. It's too easy to cause physical damage. And I don't know without seeing her that she is being alpha/stubborn. Certainly when she gets upset enough to have diarrhea, that is a sign of fear, not dominance.

The best trainers use only enough force to get the desired result, and it's likely wrong to label it force. More like pressure. Negative reinforcement, used correctly, is simply creating an uncomfortable situation that the animal would prefer to escape. "Fix it up and let them find it". After a bit, a little pressure or discomfort provokes a search by the animal for whatever turns off the pressure. With horses, you tend to use either pressure from reins or legs or a whip (used with a light tap that irritates, rather than causes pain). When the desired action happens, the pressure ceases. Dogs are not motivated the same way as horses, and are more inclined to resist pressure, even to the point of injury, as happens with collars and leashes on occasion. ( a relatively sharp jerk is likely better than allowing them to lean on the leash, however)

I think what differentiates a great trainer is their powers of observation. They see the intent before the action, and are able to circumvent it with a distraction or mild correction before the animal actually makes that mistake. Timing and consistency are what get you there. And patience!! 😉

• It's possible because of her level of fortitude that a more rigorous approach be needed…it sounds that she isn't responding to verbal cues so perhaps compromise and instead of a choke collar use a martingale which acts as a choke collar with a safety?? Again, whenever crossing over from verbal to physical cues an expert is recommended, I felt comfortable enough because I knew Oakley well to direct training as I saw fit..but I realize that isn't everyone's view...

Ps- I could whisper to him or scream from a megaphone and he ignores me, same if I away his bum to stop him from trying to steal my dinner..totally and completely ignores me...and isn't phased!!! ...the jerk 😉

• Have you done any of the relaxation protocal and read the Control Unleashed book? there is a yahoo group with lots of good info on reactive/over-the-top dogs. You can join, but you'll need to read the book before you post (to avoid redundancy) In the CU book she talks about clicking for relaxed breathing. I think there is a youtube out there of that sort of thing. The RP/mat work will help a dog to learn that life goes on around them and they don't have to get involved. (Click to Calm may also be a good book to look into) If you'd be open to moving to Colorado (and it is lovely here), i'd be happy to give some more hands on help

• I agree, Colorodo is beautiful! Perhaps an extends vacation Pamela?!? Lol

• Hi ownedbyspencer, I just wanted to say I think you are a very wonderful person giving all of you in trying to find a break through with your little Ava and hope it happens soon. Don't give up and when it happens I am sure she will be ever so special to you. All the best.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• LOL, agilebasenji and Chealsie, a vacation– yes! I need one! And Colorado IS beautiful... but could you see flying Ava in the crate? Her screams would interfere with radar, and I would be afraid she would destruct the crate and chew a hole in the plane (only half joking). I'm reading Control Unleashed now. I'm also using the Martingale for gentle corrections. I do see signs of progress, though every win is small and hard fought.

It seems to be both fear and obstinance, eeeefarm. The behaviorist said Ava had a fear of confinement and severe separation anxiety, as well as frustration intolerance and dominance issues. Ava has pretty much stopped the diarrhea, though she is anxious about confinement and being alone. We have been working on crate desentization for more than a month now, and though it's sloooooooow going, we are inching our way along. She still soils the crate, but she does it within minutes of the door shutting. I can slip back, scoop it up and we'll start over. Sometimes, she'll have another small accident, but now, finally, it's mostly just the first mess and a bucket of pee. I am still doing laundry almost every day. I have never seen a puppy pee so much!

And thank you, stash-- how nice of you to say! I have had so many people suggest I give Ava up, but that has never been an option. I wish she had been an easier puppy, and I certainly envisioned a far different puppyhood, but she is my baby girl and she is home. Unless, of course, the stress kills me, and there have been days I thought it might!

• Back in the day, I worked with a difficult dog (not a Basenji), and the end of over six months of struggle came with such suddenness it astounded me. Literally overnight, this dog decided I indeed was the boss of her, and from that day forward there was nothing I could ask that she wouldn't do! Unfortunately, her attitude adjustment did not stretch as far as her owners. If she got out of the house, they could not catch her, and would call me to help. I lived a block away, so I would just walk over, call the dog, and she would immediately come to me.

One time I got a frantic call from them at the vet's. She was loose in the examination room and threatening to bite everyone in sight. I hurried to assist, walked in, and the vet cautioned me to be careful, but she came to me immediately. I picked her up, placed her on the table and put a muzzle on her at the vet's request, and that was the end of the problem. The only sad thing was that I did not own her and they loved her and wouldn't give her up, despite the problems she caused them.

Sorry for the long digression, but my point is that Ava may suddenly decide to change her behaviour. I wouldn't expect perfection…..after all, a Basenji has a reputation to uphold.....but yes, things can indeed change that dramatically.

• It was neither long nor a digression– I enjoyed the story and related to it! Ava may change... or I could be like those owners who loved a dog that would never respect them. What I have finally had to do is to accept Ava's limitations and adjust my expectations to her temperament. She and I are a mismatch, and while it's disappointing, all I can do is try and make her the best she can be. Maybe she'll surprise me and prove all the vets and trainers and experts wrong!

• @ownedbyspencer:

LOL, agilebasenji and Chealsie, a vacation– yes! I need one! And Colorado IS beautiful... but could you see flying Ava in the crate? Her screams would interfere with radar, and I would be afraid she would destruct the crate and chew a hole in the plane (only half joking). I'm reading Control Unleashed now. I'm also using the Martingale for gentle corrections. I do see signs of progress, though every win is small and hard fought.

Well, you could always drive. 🙂

I'm glad to hear you are seeing some progress.

• I can attest to a quick turn around…thins were so bad for so long with Oakley. When I finally started to adjust my expectations to his limitations (just like u said Pamela) it made it easier...and then one day he was a changed dog..we are still different styles as I call it but we make it work...sometimes I wish he was more amenable to me but then again, he wouldn't be Oakley.

As she grows things should get easier...perhaps not in the "storybook" way but in a liveable way!

Suggested Topics