Are coursing dogs different than confirmation dogs?

• Like in the sporting dogs , field dogs are often different than the confirmation dogs. I want a basenji that can course first , confirmation maybe. The breeder (who wants me to show) said no big difference and most dogs can do both. Any coments

• Goodness, how did this get missed? I have to say that one of the things I really appreciate about basenjis is that many do cross over from one sport to another. There is a big split in many of the sporting breeds - look at show labs versus conformation labs (btw, it's conformation not confrimation) or goldens or brits or spaniels, etc. My first competition basenji was a nice little show dog, but a coursing fiend. (and a pretty good agility dog and excellent therapy dog.)

• My Basenjis are dual champions (Conformation and Coursing) or are on their way for the younger ones and a couple are/were Obedience too. A Basenji with proper conformation is able to do both and do both well provided they have the drive for coursing. Not all Basenjis are into chasing plastic bags, but more do. Then again, not all Basenjis are into showing and regardless of conformation, makes showing that much more difficult.

My Franie is a nut about coursing and was a coursing champion first while we were also showing her. She was not that thrilled about the show ring, but coursing gave her confidence and made her a better show dog.

And me too…agilebasenji.... how did I miss this thread

• @tanza:

My Basenjis are dual champions (Conformation and Coursing) or are on their way for the younger ones and a couple are/were Obedience too. A Basenji with proper conformation is able to do both and do both well provided they have the drive for coursing. Not all Basenjis are into chasing plastic bags, but more do. Then again, not all Basenjis are into showing and regardless of conformation, makes showing that much more difficult.

My Franie is a nut about coursing and was a coursing champion first while we were also showing her. She was not that thrilled about the show ring, but coursing gave her confidence and made her a better show dog.

And me too…agilebasenji.... how did I miss this thread

Well said Tanza. Form and function go hand in hand. The better they match the breed standard the better they should move and the better they will show movement and agility on a lure course. My boy is 'type-y' but is lacking length in his upper arm so when he lures he can't move as fluidly and you can notice it.

• Yes, in our breed Form and Function do go hand in hand… at least I believe that and in the small amout that I breed... that is what I breed to... add to that temperament... and you have the all around hound... what each fits too... is decided as they grow and mature

• Oh gosh not only missed but the person was here for a long time and never came back soon after the post. 😞

• Thanks everyone for your comments. I feel assured what the breeder said was sound-That the dog can do both lure and show providing they want to. So since I really want to lure how soon should I start with the pup?

Suggested Topics