• For me there are several reasons to charge the same amount for all puppies. First of all each puppy in my house recieves the same care and therefore incurs the same expense. They each benefit from the research and health testing that went into planning the litter. All my dogs are first and foremost companions anything else that they do is bonus so my prices are based on their primary purpose, companions. My price is driven by the cost of living and therefore breeding in my area. I do offer a $50 rebate for the completion of puppy kindergarten.

• All of the breeders we spoke to prior to getting Jazzy charged the same for show or pet. There was no difference in price. At that time – 2 yrs ago-- the price was $800.

• I charge the same price for pet or show puppies for the same reasons lvoss mentioned. Why would I charge more for a puppy that will be shown? It is advantageous for a breeder to have their dogs out there in the show ring or in other performance avenues so people can see them. This works great for me since I can't do many shows/performance events myself. I also now have a policy where if someone appropriately titles their first Basenji obtained from me, I will give them a second Basenji.

• Robyn, you can 'give' me a B any time. I love your B's. If I had known about Pippin and Baron I would have requested one!!! I think they are both fabulous. And the puppies were gorgeous!!

• <_>

Wow! That is really cool! Nice policy Robyn :)_

• I know a breeder that charges different prices for "Show Quality" and "Pets".

I know another that claims they're all show quality and all can be finished so the price is the same.

I like the buy one, finish it and get one free…......very generous indeed:) .

• It doesn't seem quite right, since "show quality" is not a guarantee, is it?

I mean, if you pay more for show quality and your dog bombs out at showing, do you get a refund?

There are pups that show promise, but don't turn out quite as ideally as you may expect and others that don't look quite so hot at 12 weeks but wind up knocking your socks off at 12 mos.

Is it really right to charge more for potential?

• @JazzysMom:

It doesn't seem quite right, since "show quality" is not a guarantee, is it?

I mean, if you pay more for show quality and your dog bombs out at showing, do you get a refund?

There are pups that show promise, but don't turn out quite as ideally as you may expect and others that don't look quite so hot at 12 weeks but wind up knocking your socks off at 12 mos.

Is it really right to charge more for potential?

Should be built into the contract that is the pup doesn't "pan" out as a show puppy you do get money back… as least that is what I have seen. Remember also, breeders judge puppies at 8wks which accordingly is supposed to be what they will be as a adult... so that is when 99% of breeders judge their pups for show quality. They can and do go through that grow stage and many get pretty ugly (for lack of a better phrase)... but then come back together... and it might not be till they are 3 or 4... Also many that are sold as show puppies the contract also says if "you" as the owner can't or don't want to finish the pup, you will make said pup available to the breeder for showing...

As breeders in judging potential of pups.. it is not an exact science....

• @tanza:

Should be built into the contract that is the pup doesn't "pan" out as a show puppy you do get money back… as least that is what I have seen. . . . Also many that are sold as show puppies the contract also says if "you" as the owner can't or don't want to finish the pup, you will make said pup available to the breeder for showing...
    As breeders in judging potential of pups.. it is not an exact science....

Okay, that makes more sense.

Lucky for me, Jumoke charged the same.

With Jazzy, I got a "pet" that turned into a show girl – he showed her, not me.

Keoki, regardless of how truly stunning he really is 😉 , is destined for pet-hood per my husband. Which is fine, because all we ever wanted was a dog to snuggle and hike with!:D

• @JazzysMom:

Keoki, regardless of how truly stunning he really is 😉 , is destined for pet-hood per my husband. Which is fine, because all we ever wanted was a dog to snuggle and hike with!:D

You have two (2) really beautiful Basenjis. How wonderful that you and family made room for three (3) deserving pets - and with Jazzy a show winner! Hat's off to you and your amazing large family! Truly . . . 🙂

Suggested Topics