Skip to content

Going to S CA B rescue to check a red boy

Basenji Rescue

Suggested Topics

  • Rescued Basenji's play turns to biting

    Basenji Rescue
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    13k Views
    M
    Our Mickey gets pretty nippy when excited, too, and it was much more of a problem when he had those crazy sharp puppy teeth, but now at 1 yr old he responds pretty quickly to "gentle" and "kisses", "no bite" prompts. But when he gets too worked up I have to just walk away because his first instinct is to mouth & he doesn't seem to know his own strength. Someone mentioned winter activities - I would strongly suggest looking into getting a Varsity Ball (if you google it it should come up) - they are indestructible and big! Def for outdoor only. My guy likes to roll his around and try to stand on it - it's pretty funny. And it's almost the only time you'll hear him growl and bark - he gets so worked up with it that I have to put it away sometimes or else the neighbors will think he's vicious (he sounds it when playing with this thing!). BUT he comes in from outside panting and exhausted, so it's a nice alternative for him. I would caution, though, that bc the ball is really hard, he's knocked it into our rain spouts and caused them to fall down. So just be careful if you have anything outside that could get damaged.
  • B mix (mostly B?) in the Bay Area, CA

    Basenji Rescue
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    2k Views
    G
    @Schouiffy: My parents are on the look out now, for a pair of Basenjis needing a home.. Preferably young adults (so if any of you are in the know, send me a email!) but I saw this guy on Petfinder, http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16733745 Is that not the cutest face ever!!??? And if anybody wants to help the above little dog let me know. He is at risk in an overcrowded shelter. They asked BRAT to take him, BRAT doesn't really take in mixes. I have a little video: http://sharing.theflip.com/session/645da647669be15405ce662be0268cff/video/15572896 -Joanne
  • B Mix in Orange County, CA

    Basenji Rescue
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    S
    My understanding is that this dog might be a mix. Also there are some skin issues that are at issue. So, will let you know more when I find out. BUT from what I heard, this dog can't be placed at this time.
  • Red and White B in OK

    Basenji Rescue
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    4k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    BRAT is actively trying to help this girl out, Email has been sent, no word yet, though..
  • Basenji boy may need ride (in CA)

    Basenji Rescue
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    nobarkusN
    He's not neutered yet so no pick up needed this weekend.
  • B Girl in IN rescue

    Basenji Rescue
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    2k Views
    S
    I will forward this to BRAT, but BRAT doesn't pay for dogs…if the shelter wants to release her to BRAT, I am sure they can help her. But thank you for letting me know. I will send this on asap.