• <>
    Well, for Goodness sake! Let him in! 🙂
    You don't really mean that he stays outside, right?

• @Quercus:

<>
    Well, for Goodness sake! Let him in! 🙂
    You don't really mean that he stays outside, right?

When we're not home he does, and he actually prefers to sleep in his dog house when it's not cold.

• Gotcha…...

• @Craigh:

Alex's teeth are in very good shape. I haven't had any blood work done, but am assuming part of his not eating is due to depression. We recently had to put Alex's partner to sleep (she was just shy of 16) and he hasn't been taking it too well. 😞 He barooo's constantly to be let in the house when he's not sleeping. He's also had two bouts with Vestibular Syndrome with some residual effects on balance which I'm sure contributes to a loss of appetite.

Still would be good to have blood work done.. it is a pretty important part of elderly care, IMO

• I tried giving Alex a can of Wingaling yesterday. He took one sniff, looked at me as if to say "what the heck are you trying to pull?" and walked away from it. I even tried mixing up his usuall fresh cooked ground venision in it. He picked out a few pieces of the venison then walked off.

Maybe we'll try another flavor tomorrow.

• Try the Evo 95% canned meat.. they have all kinds like duck, rabbitt, etc…. while my oldest turns her nose up at Merricks... she loves the Evo

• @tanza:

Try the Evo 95% canned meat.. they have all kinds like duck, rabbitt, etc…. while my oldest turns her nose up at Merricks... she loves the Evo

We've already tried the EVO in both beef and chicken. No place to buy this stuff retail around here, so I've been mail ordering small allotments of all different kinds. He wouldn't even give the EVO as much as a lick.

Our local Humane Society is loving all the food donations they've been getting from me lately. Looks like I'll end up sticking with fresh cooked ground venison/turkey/beef. I guess he's spoiled.

• @Craigh:

We've already tried the EVO in both beef and chicken. No place to buy this stuff retail around here, so I've been mail ordering small allotments of all different kinds. He wouldn't even give the EVO as much as a lick.

Our local Humane Society is loving all the food donations they've been getting from me lately. Looks like I'll end up sticking with fresh cooked ground venison/turkey/beef. I guess he's spoiled.

Well, fresh cooked is always better, but on the Evo subject, the duck/rabbit/venison is different then their regular 95% meat canned… mine will not eat the regular canned either...

• Looks like Alex has given his stamp of approval to both Merrick's Thanksgiving Day Dinner and Gammy's Pot Pie. Last night he ate an entire can of Thanksgiving Day Dinner. He doesn't seem to care for the beef varieties though. It figures the only canned food he won't turn his nose up at is $1.99 per can. :p

• My Sahara loves, loves Merrick food, the best she has ever eaten. I buy the dry and can food. I get the dry for $12 and mix just a small amount of the wet with it. I pay $1.89 a can so shop around, and that way it last much longer, one can last about 3-4 servings, about 2 days. Sahara loves the Pot Pie the best, so I buy that in the dry. She also loves the Vension, Cowboy Cookout, Turducken, and the Lamb. Also if you go with the dry I use about 1/4 cup, add little warm water b/c it makes it's own gravy, add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of wet on top. I warm the can food b/c she eats it better if it is not cold from the refrigerator, about 15 secs. I know my furbaby is spoiled but you can be sure if I am paying this much for food I want to make sure she eats it. I am her SLAVE!!!!!!! HAHA!!!!!

• @youngandtired:

My Sahara loves, loves Merrick food, the best she has ever eaten. I buy the dry and can food. I get the dry for $12 and mix just a small amount of the wet with it. I pay $1.89 a can so shop around, and that way it last much longer, one can last about 3-4 servings, about 2 days. Sahara loves the Pot Pie the best, so I buy that in the dry. She also loves the Vension, Cowboy Cookout, Turducken, and the Lamb. Also if you go with the dry I use about 1/4 cup, add little warm water b/c it makes it's own gravy, add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of wet on top. I warm the can food b/c she eats it better if it is not cold from the refrigerator, about 15 secs. I know my furbaby is spoiled but you can be sure if I am paying this much for food I want to make sure she eats it. I am her SLAVE!!!!!!! HAHA!!!!!

LOL - very spoiled Sahara is indeed. But so are my two little ones. I go to the trouble of mixing Merricks dry (any variety) with Canidae dry. Then I scoop out the mix and wet with a li'l water for the gravy factor. They don't care - Duke eats faster when wet though. Sometimes - I plop a spoon of canned Merricks on top of their food. Boy do they go wild then. 😉

• @Craigh:

I tried giving Alex a can of Wingaling yesterday. He took one sniff, looked at me as if to say "what the heck are you trying to pull?" and walked away from it. I even tried mixing up his usuall fresh cooked ground venision in it. He picked out a few pieces of the venison then walked off.

Maybe we'll try another flavor tomorrow.

That's interesting to me, since Wingaling is the ONLY Merrick's that Magnum WILL eat (right away, anyway)! 😃 Maybe it's because he's a raw-fed dog mainly, and Wingaling's got that whole wing in it…

• Merricks here is $2.60/can. Not sure what the dry is because I don't much pay attention as I should. However, no matter how large a bag I buy, they give you the 11th bag free. Same with the cans if you buy them by the case. Still getting my pants pulled down, though.

petfooddirect.com has the cans for $1.79 if you buy by the case. Dry is more reasonable as well. Anyone buy it online? Does anyone question the 'freshness' of buying dog food online?

• @TuckerVA:

Merricks here is $2.60/can. Not sure what the dry is because I don't much pay attention as I should. However, no matter how large a bag I buy, they give you the 11th bag free. Same with the cans if you buy them by the case. Still getting my pants pulled down, though.

petfooddirect.com has the cans for $1.79 if you buy by the case. Dry is more reasonable as well. Anyone buy it online? Does anyone question the 'freshness' of buying dog food online?

By the time you pay shipping… you are right back up in price again. I have purchased lots on line and never had a problem with freshness...

• I believe Merrick's is vaccum sealed, I do know that it has a seal and slidder open and close. Also Merrick's is cheaper if you buy it online at www.merricks.com. for those that pay $2.60 a can, that is robbery when I pay $1.89, and it just went up, it was $l.79.

• Had to take Alex off Merrick's (both wet and dry). He likes it, but it was giving him HORRIBLE gas! He could literally clear a room for 15 minutes, or wake you from a deep sleep with the smell alone.

Now he's eating Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul with raw egg mixed in. Cook both for 25 sec in the microwave. The gas has dropped off dramatically after taking away the Merricks.

Suggested Topics