Tips wanted for introducing a new B into the family

• Hello Everyone!

I justed wanted to hear some tips and suggestions for introducing a new B into the home. We currently have a soon to be fixed girl in the house…and we will be bringing a boy home in March or April. We are awaiting personalities to develop to make a better fit for our current B Scarlett. The boy will be kept intact and be shown. We have started re-puppy proofing are home but want some insight as what to expect.

Thanks

• Plan for having them meet on neutral territory and start thinking about what things in the house Scarlett might find valuable enough to want to keep away from the new pup. Learning to share can be an adjustment for a former only child. Plan for a place for Scarlett to be able to get some time away from the pup.

• Thanks Lisa. How do I have them meet on neutral territory exactly? We are making visits to Therese and Kevin's for interaction and that is not neutral territory for either, do you mean the first time they meet at our home?

Scarlett is not attached to any specific toys that I know…just her humans. I will plan on Scarlett having a place to get away.

What about feeding tips? Same time...different feeding areas or just play it by ear?

• I usually plan for the dogs to take a walk together or some way for them to do some interacting where they are not likely to want to guard space. Kevin and Therese have a lot of space and Scarlett is comfortable there so that will help but realize it will be different when she realized the visitor is coming home with you then realization the visitor is staying.

As for feeding, meals are fed in their crates or designated area but mine gets snacks together and are fine with it. We use things like "say please by sitting" so they know good behavior is expected to earn a treat.

• Meals for sure in crates….. and be ready for some ungodly noises between the two of them... you can never prepare anyone for the noises that come from them until they hear/see it for themselves. 99% of the time it is just noise and I never try and step in, as they need to work it out for themselves. And an adult will "tell" off a puppy all the time.... consider it as training...ggg... keeps those baby teeth off you.

But Lisa is right... all might be really cool until Scarlett figures out this "puppy" is not leaving! Then the real noise starts.... My friend Jeff when he brought Tego home, his other boy, Zadi was thrilled to have a "play toy" until he was tired of him and looked at Jeff with that "OK he can leave now" look. Then he stayed on the bed (Tego was too small to get up there) for days and mostly ignored him until it finally dawned on him, he was not leaving.

• How old is your girl and does she get along with other dogs in general? How long after the surgery will you be bringing home the other dog?

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

How old is your girl and does she get along with other dogs in general? How long after the surgery will you be bringing home the other dog?

Jennifer

She is about 16 months…gets along well with other dogs. I am about to change vets because I am not comfortable with my current one, I have been waiting to switch vets until her booster shots were due and that will be at the end of the month. The exact time frame right now is unknown. Why do you ask?

• I did not know if you would be bringing in the new dog close to when she is having surgery. If you are I would make sure she is completely over her surgery as she will not feel well and I think it would not be good to bring in another dog during this time.

Jennifer

• @dcmclcm4:

I did not know if you would be bringing in the new dog close to when she is having surgery. If you are I would make sure she is completely over her surgery as she will not feel well and I think it would not be good to bring in another dog during this time.

Jennifer

We are planning to have it done a little bit after he arrives. I am hoping to let them have a month or so together first to start bonding. How long will she need to recoup? She is my first female dog and I am not as knowledgeable about this side of things.

• Most bounce back pretty quick, especially when young like her. My problem has more often been keeping them from being over active after surgery.

• Exactly, I agree with Lisa… the hardest part is to talk them into taking it easy. However, that said, I very, very rarely use any medication for pain on a Spay or Neuter. I would rather they feel a bit of pain to slow themselves down. (After the first night) I think you will find in 3 or 4 days you would not even know that she had a surgery.

• @tanza:

Exactly, I agree with Lisa… the hardest part is to talk them into taking it easy. However, that said, I very, very rarely use any medication for pain on a Spay or Neuter. I would rather they feel a bit of pain to slow themselves down. (After the first night) I think you will find in 3 or 4 days you would not even know that she had a surgery.

Thank you Pat…very comforting to know she will bounce back in a few days or so.

Suggested Topics