Anyone know absorption time of pills? Bloodwork appt today but Tayda threw up this AM

• Hello everyone!

I have an appointment for Tayda to get her venous blood gas and blood chemistry done today. I brought her to work with me because her vet closer to where I work than where I live. I pilled her before we left the house, and then about 1 hour and 15 minutes later - in the car, she threw up. Lenny was nice enough to clean up the mess before I could inspect the vomit to see if there were any intact pills in it. In the past when she vomits after a pilling - unless it is right away (~10 min or so) - I usually don't see any pills. But I know that doesn't necessarily mean they have been absorbed.

So, my question is - since the protocol states that there should be 8 hours since the last pilling before the blood draw so that the blood values are at their trough values - am I okay to still take her to the vet today? Is an hour and 15 minutes enough for the pills to have entered her system? Or will her having possibly vomited up some of her pills throw off the blood work?

I have an email out to Dr. gonto also, but thought I'd throw it out to the peanut gallery here as well!

thanks for any insight anyone might have!

• I don't really know especially with Fanconi B-Carbs, but I would think you should be OK. Will be interested to hear what Dr Gonto has to say.

• I would think it would be fine also, but I haven't heard back from Dr. Gonto yet and so I called the vets office and she'd prefer to err on the side of caution and reschedule - so that's what I did. Moved her appointment to Monday. It is quite fun having the dogs here at work with me though! Lenny is sitting in my visitor office chair and it's like we are having a meeting! ha ha. Tayda is laying directly in front of my space heater turning herself into a piece of jerky. I'll post pics later!

• Here are a couple pics! 🙂
    attachment_p_150604_0_taydajerky.jpg
    attachment_p_150604_1_lennymeeting.jpg

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Here are a couple pics! 🙂

LOL…Lenny wants to help you do some work! How great that is you can take the dogs to the office if you need to..so lucky! 🙂
    I hope I get to meet these two soon!!! The neighbors must wonder what the hell I'm looking for when I walk by your street everyday! :p

• Great Pics…. If I brought my two wild children in here, there would not be a scrap of paper "un" touched or left in one piece! And both would most likely be sitting on my desk top!

• Lisa! Stop by anytime! If there is a car in the driveway with Connecticut plates on it, I'm home!

• looks like they are working hard!

• Just wanted to update this thread with Dr. Gonto's response: My words in black and Dr. Gonto's in red.

Do you think her results will still be accurate, given she threw up this morning? That should be fine. So long as you remind me this happened when the results are given. Not sure if an hour is enough time for her pills to be absorbed? Maybe, maybe not, but ONE dose is not going to drastically alter her baseline levels. It is just that if the gas is drawn TOO soon, then the levels are artifically high as the blood is flooded with suppliments. TOO early after pills is FAR worse then too late, for accuracy.

I had already rescheduled her appointment but will be good to know for next time, just in case.

Suggested Topics