• Curious to find out everyone's experience with pet allergies and a basenji.
    Anyone hear or someone they know have some pet allergies but have been able to live with basenji's ?
    A side question is , has anyone had a chance to use allergy sprays like Allerpet ? And are they affective at all ?

I don't have allergies but my wife has some, just curious, thanks for your insight.

• I have terrible pet dander allergies..and I own 2 basenjis. My allergies don't act up too bad but we also bath them pretty often & these dogs also keep themselves pretty clean.

However I would not get this kind of dog only because they're good for allergy sufferers. They are SOOOOO much work that the benefits would NOT outweigh the cost 😞

My sister owns two Bichon Frise who also are very good dogs for allergy sufferers & they hardly shed. I do pretty well with them too.

Good luck

• @jys1011:

I have terrible pet dander allergies..and I own 2 basenjis. My allergies don't act up too bad but we also bath them pretty often & these dogs also keep themselves pretty clean.

However I would not get this kind of dog only because they're good for allergy sufferers. They are SOOOOO much work that the benefits would NOT outweigh the cost 😞

My sister owns two Bichon Frise who also are very good dogs for allergy sufferers & they hardly shed. I do pretty well with them too.

Good luck

Thanks for the insight,. Yes to be clear I am not getting a Basenji based solely on the potential allergy benefit. I've been in love with these guys for along time.

It's just lately that I am able to actually devote enough time to consider adopting one !

• I have pet allergies, and basenjis don't bother me. They do bother my brother in law.

i used to get itchy skin bumps from just one of my dogs, but that went away.

• I get the itchy skin bumps when I hold them from their hair, but that doesn't bother me as much as not having them!!

• I find that I get itchy if they are in need of a bath, or have gotten into something else that I am allergic to (like pollen).

The best thing is to go to house that has basenjis (but not cats or other dogs) spend a few hours to make sure that your wife won't react.

Overall, they are LESS likely to trigger allergies, but not a sure thing.

• BBOB-whew! So glad that you've done some homework with them. We've had too many abandoned B's lately that I can't bear it anymore.

Like Andrea it depends on what they've gotten themselves into during the day like pretty flowers, grass or flowering trees…then I'm in trouble. 🙂

Suggested Topics