• If the root is not exposed then you can leave it. If the root is exposed then it will either need extracted or a root canal.

• Glad to hear that the foreign object ordeal has come to a safe and mostly happy conclusion for you and Ayo.

Sorry to hear about the broken teeth 😞

• So, there is a foreign object in his gut and they are not going to remove it? I find that a bit odd? Or are they hoping that he will be able to pass it?

• Kind of suprised they are just leaving it in there? Or are they hoping he will pass it on his own?

• There are what I call doggy dentists around too. My male had dental hypoplasia apparently caused by a high fever or a reaction to the parvo vaccine. I had to get most of his teeth worked on. They capped the canines (they looked like little hoodoo's) and they resurfaced and capped a few of the other teeth too. They use the same stuff that they use on humans (amalgum I think) so you can't even really tell that they have been done. If they are really bad and the dentin tubes are exposed they can cause serious discomfort in your dog. Once the teeth have reached maturity the dentin tubes close up a bit more and the root cavity becomes smaller and there is less irritation. That is my experience in the doggy-dental world. Oh and I finished the confirmation on my boy, it was no problem at all.

• Thanks, no he just chipped the very tip of the canines and part of the other tooth but no exposed roots. I think the idea is that the " object" will pass, if it hasn't already. I guess to or row they will check! I think the thought is that it is probably a piece of bone. I remember he picked up a piece of chicken bone on the sidewalk, and I took it out of his mouth but I guess he managed to swallow some of it… There is always chicken bones on the street here. There is a lots of construction and for some reason construction workers think its ok to throw the bones on tHe sidewalks.. I guess for stray dogs to eat but... I keep having to take bones out of Ayos mouth!!!!.. Anyway tomorrow I will know what is up with the " object"... I don't think they are just going to leave it there!!,?. I hope not!!

• my goodness, how horrible. I really hope Ayo will be ok. It's always so scary when they are in and out of the vets and you don't know what's going on. Our thoughts are with you.

• Just got back from the vet.. Ayo had thrown up a little last night as well. the doctor is pretty sure that what caused the irritation has passed because it was very small and he has passed all his metamusil well.. Sooo he believes at this point he just has a very irritated stomach, so he gave him some " ranitidine"' on top of the omeprzaole, and the injection which is an antibiotic called lico?.. Anyway we are now giving him one table
    Spoon every four hours of ID gastrointestinal food, yesterday he just had some yogurt, and he says tomorrow will be last day of treatment with injections, just omperazole for a few more days. I will suggest doing x rays again tomorrow, just to make sure whatever came up in the first one is no longer there!!! ..
    As far as his teeth, he doesn't have exposed roots, will leave it like that for now, maybe if he gets a dental profilaxis in the future we may consider a little cosmetic work, but its hardly noticeable and I don't want to put him under just for that…..

• First Basenji's

Did they leave you with any home treatments to help pass the 'object'? Like olive oil or something? or more metamucil to help pass it??? Does seem kinda strange….Sorry about the tooth. Is is where a judge would see it? what about irritation to the inside of his mouth? Maybe they can file it down 'gratis'. Just like in a horse, a sharp edge will make them irritable...No?

• First Basenji's

OH, I read just recently that the good flora in yogurt gets deleted because of the acid in a dog's stomach. The article said that there was some acid resistant cultured yogurt, maybe at a health food store? My Uzie has been on two different anti-biotics and finished yesterday. He is 'eliminating' just fine and back on schedule. (I still finished the yogurt on him this am, all my dogs like it on top of the kibble…..:) )

• Glad to hear Uzie is doing better… Yeah I hadn't thought about the possibility of the sharp edge irritaing his mouth.. ..
    unfornutaley Ayo threw up again is afternoon, after I gave him the spoonfull of ID.. So I called the vet and she told me to bring him back in. he got more shots and more omeprazole and told me to give him nothing but little sips of water every now and then.. they want to try and stop the vomiting for at least 15 hours or so, so that the irritation goes down in his stomach. But he threw up again in the car on the way home... I have to go back tomorrow morning, if he is not better than they are doing the barium contrast.. I am really frustrated cause he doesn't seem to be gettin better. And he hasn't really eaten anything in days.. Isn't it worst to have an empty stomach? I know my stomach gets irritated if its empty long enough!! But the thing is every time he eats or drinks more than a sip he throws up. All he's had all these days , I think it's been three days? Is a little bit of yogurt yesterday and one spoonful of ID today.. And all the metamusil that theyve Been giving him, guess that's kept him.. They didn't give him any today though!!
    Its been a horrible week... I really hope he gets better soon!! .. He is not down though, which is weird, he is active and a little less than usual but not languid.....

• That is weird that they would give him Ranitidine as well as Omeprazole, as they do the same things…..close the proton pumps on the stomach down (decrease acid production)....same thing they give humans with ulcers or excessive stomach acid production...maybe do some googling on those two meds together?

• Nope nevermind….looks like they can be used in conjunction and do not interact.....sorry my bad.

• Yeah they started on just omeprazole but since he wasn't getting better added the ranitidine. he hasn't thrown up since yesterday. Just got bck from the vet again. They repeated the ranitidne but left out the omeprazole because it is oral and his esophagus irritated we were afraid it would make him vomit again. So I'm starting this afternoon with a little yogurt and he's going to vet again at 6 pm… Hopefully he'll keep that in and his stomach will start to heal.........

• I hope so too. It is hard to have a sick dog and you are trying everything you can but it seems like they are not getting better. Hopefully the yogurt will work, calm his stomach and give him some nutrients. Good luck to both of you.

• Poor Ayo! Hope he feels better today!

Small portions of plain Greek yogurt, mashed potatoes (no butter) or a mixture of cottage cheese and white rice works usually work with Spencer. Sometimes, I'll concoct a doggy bread pudding with pieces of bread soaked in watered-down yogurt or cottage cheese. I have gotten very creative with the "White Food Diet" here at Chez Spence.

• @Buddys:

OH, I read just recently that the good flora in yogurt gets deleted because of the acid in a dog's stomach. The article said that there was some acid resistant cultured yogurt, maybe at a health food store? My Uzie has been on two different anti-biotics and finished yesterday. He is 'eliminating' just fine and back on schedule. (I still finished the yogurt on him this am, all my dogs like it on top of the kibble…..:) )

Can you give a link to the article? I have seen people hawking coated probiotics, but have yet to see research confirming a need for the added expense of them.

Studies on probiotics don't confirm that. Perhaps because products like Fastrack have MASSIVE amts compared to yogurt… but studies on yogurt in humans haven't shown that either. If there is something new, am most curious to read it.
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/lactobacillus-acidophilus-000310.htm

http://dwb.unl.edu/teacher/nsf/c11/c11links/www.bact.wisc.edu/scienceed/lactobacillusacidophilus.html

Another health claim is that L. acidophilus can help maintain a healthy balance of intestinal flora by increasing acidity of the intestine, killing off harmful bacteria. Research suggests that there may be some validity to this claim. In one of the many research reports on L. acidophilus and gastrointestinal tract health, L. acidophilus was demonstrated to have anti-microbial effects against pathogens and fungal microorganisms (Buttris, 1997). Also since L. acidophilus is able to survive in environments of pH 4-5 or below, it is able to survive the harsh conditions of the stomach and pass through to the small intestine.

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2011/05/probiotics-ibd/

protein isolated from beneficial bacteria found in yogurt and dairy products could offer a new, oral therapeutic option for inflammatory bowel disorders, suggests a study led by Vanderbilt University Medical Center researcher Fang Yan.

The study, published May 23 in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, shows that the protein, called p40, was effective as an intervention in animal models of colitis (colon inflammation). The investigators demonstrated that the protein supports intestinal epithelial cell growth and function, and reduces inflammatory responses that can cause intestinal cells to die. Importantly, the investigators showed that oral consumption of p40 by mice in a protective delivery system prevents and treats colitis in multiple models of the disease.

Many of the hundreds of bacterial species that live in our gut (known as the ?human microbiome?) are helpful to us: they help us digest certain substances, produce vitamins and fight off more dangerous bacteria. But miscommunication between these bacteria and our gut lining can lead to conditions like ulcerative colitis and Crohn?s disease. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as many as 1.4 million persons in the United States alone may suffer from these diseases.

One type of helpful bacteria often used in yogurt production and in nutritional supplements, Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG), has been used in attempts to prevent intestinal disorders such as IBD and diarrhea, as well as other conditions such as dermatitis (skin inflammation). However, results generated using whole bacteria have been mixed.

• Hope he feels better soon. 😞

• I do so pray that he is better soon. It's so worrying for you and you have to trust your vet. Please keep us posted.

• Thanks again for everyones good thoughts!!, Ayo is finally doing little better..he hasn't thrown up since yesterday at 6 pm. I was at the vet again this afternoon and he got yet another dose of everything. he had very small amounts at a time of yogurt in the afternoon, and now he had about 20 cc's of chicken and rice stew that I made as directed by his vet. I gave it to him very slowly, he loved it and wanted to gobble it up.. it looks like he is going to be fine.. I'm having trouble withe Internet so I went out to get some take out and use it.. Hopefully he will not have vomited when I get back…... Tomorrow morning is e last visit, hopefully, to the vet and will start him on ID again...

Suggested Topics