• any updates? we're thinking good thoughts here for Ayo

• We are also thinking about Ayo and hoping that all is well. šŸ™‚

• Thanks everyone for your concernā€¦. Sorry I didn't post sooner but its been a hectic two days!!! The doctor did not have to do the barium contrast because it was clear from the X-ray that there was, what he called a "foreign object" in his stomach.. There was no obstruction however, thank god, it had just irritated the stomach so much that he kept vomiting.. So they treated with an injection of " I think an antibiotic," was explained to me as serving to stop the vomiting, also omeprazole for the acidity, and metamusil!!!! I left him at the vet in the morning yesterday, while I went to work, and picked him up in the afternoon. He didn't throw up again, but last night, when I took him out, I thought he put something in his mouth so I went to check and I noticed that he had chipped one tooth and the the tips his top canines!!! He chipped the really small tooth right behind the canine!! I was so angry.. It seems he was so frustrated in the kennel at the vet at he started biting the cage!!! I couldn't believe it!!! I was first of all really pissed and worried !!! So, good news on his stomach but terrible turn of
    events. So this morning I went and told the doctor, he was very upset that no one noticed, and he assured me that that would not be a problem in conformation!! ...so... That's that. IVe been so angry , I wish I had not left him there, but he had never done that!! How could I
    have known.. Also, I can't really blame them, I mean, granted they should have noticed he was doing that but!!!! ..... This morning he passed the metamusil, so it seems whatever was in there will pass if it hasn't already!!! Today they repeated the treatment and I have to go back tomorrow....

• How much is chipped off? Did they check to see if the root is exposed?

• Yes, no from the canines, it's juts the very tip, barely noticeable, the other tooth, is a really tiny tooth behind the canine and it has more chipped, but no root exposedā€¦. Should I do anything about it, or just leave it, is there someone that can be done?

• If the root is not exposed then you can leave it. If the root is exposed then it will either need extracted or a root canal.

• Glad to hear that the foreign object ordeal has come to a safe and mostly happy conclusion for you and Ayo.

Sorry to hear about the broken teeth šŸ˜ž

• So, there is a foreign object in his gut and they are not going to remove it? I find that a bit odd? Or are they hoping that he will be able to pass it?

• Kind of suprised they are just leaving it in there? Or are they hoping he will pass it on his own?

• There are what I call doggy dentists around too. My male had dental hypoplasia apparently caused by a high fever or a reaction to the parvo vaccine. I had to get most of his teeth worked on. They capped the canines (they looked like little hoodoo's) and they resurfaced and capped a few of the other teeth too. They use the same stuff that they use on humans (amalgum I think) so you can't even really tell that they have been done. If they are really bad and the dentin tubes are exposed they can cause serious discomfort in your dog. Once the teeth have reached maturity the dentin tubes close up a bit more and the root cavity becomes smaller and there is less irritation. That is my experience in the doggy-dental world. Oh and I finished the confirmation on my boy, it was no problem at all.

• Thanks, no he just chipped the very tip of the canines and part of the other tooth but no exposed roots. I think the idea is that the " object" will pass, if it hasn't already. I guess to or row they will check! I think the thought is that it is probably a piece of bone. I remember he picked up a piece of chicken bone on the sidewalk, and I took it out of his mouth but I guess he managed to swallow some of itā€¦ There is always chicken bones on the street here. There is a lots of construction and for some reason construction workers think its ok to throw the bones on tHe sidewalks.. I guess for stray dogs to eat but... I keep having to take bones out of Ayos mouth!!!!.. Anyway tomorrow I will know what is up with the " object"... I don't think they are just going to leave it there!!,?. I hope not!!

• my goodness, how horrible. I really hope Ayo will be ok. It's always so scary when they are in and out of the vets and you don't know what's going on. Our thoughts are with you.

• Just got back from the vet.. Ayo had thrown up a little last night as well. the doctor is pretty sure that what caused the irritation has passed because it was very small and he has passed all his metamusil well.. Sooo he believes at this point he just has a very irritated stomach, so he gave him some " ranitidine"' on top of the omeprzaole, and the injection which is an antibiotic called lico?.. Anyway we are now giving him one table
    Spoon every four hours of ID gastrointestinal food, yesterday he just had some yogurt, and he says tomorrow will be last day of treatment with injections, just omperazole for a few more days. I will suggest doing x rays again tomorrow, just to make sure whatever came up in the first one is no longer there!!! ..
    As far as his teeth, he doesn't have exposed roots, will leave it like that for now, maybe if he gets a dental profilaxis in the future we may consider a little cosmetic work, but its hardly noticeable and I don't want to put him under just for thatā€¦..

• First Basenji's

Did they leave you with any home treatments to help pass the 'object'? Like olive oil or something? or more metamucil to help pass it??? Does seem kinda strangeā€¦.Sorry about the tooth. Is is where a judge would see it? what about irritation to the inside of his mouth? Maybe they can file it down 'gratis'. Just like in a horse, a sharp edge will make them irritable...No?

• First Basenji's

OH, I read just recently that the good flora in yogurt gets deleted because of the acid in a dog's stomach. The article said that there was some acid resistant cultured yogurt, maybe at a health food store? My Uzie has been on two different anti-biotics and finished yesterday. He is 'eliminating' just fine and back on schedule. (I still finished the yogurt on him this am, all my dogs like it on top of the kibbleā€¦..:) )

• Glad to hear Uzie is doing betterā€¦ Yeah I hadn't thought about the possibility of the sharp edge irritaing his mouth.. ..
    unfornutaley Ayo threw up again is afternoon, after I gave him the spoonfull of ID.. So I called the vet and she told me to bring him back in. he got more shots and more omeprazole and told me to give him nothing but little sips of water every now and then.. they want to try and stop the vomiting for at least 15 hours or so, so that the irritation goes down in his stomach. But he threw up again in the car on the way home... I have to go back tomorrow morning, if he is not better than they are doing the barium contrast.. I am really frustrated cause he doesn't seem to be gettin better. And he hasn't really eaten anything in days.. Isn't it worst to have an empty stomach? I know my stomach gets irritated if its empty long enough!! But the thing is every time he eats or drinks more than a sip he throws up. All he's had all these days , I think it's been three days? Is a little bit of yogurt yesterday and one spoonful of ID today.. And all the metamusil that theyve Been giving him, guess that's kept him.. They didn't give him any today though!!
    Its been a horrible week... I really hope he gets better soon!! .. He is not down though, which is weird, he is active and a little less than usual but not languid.....

• That is weird that they would give him Ranitidine as well as Omeprazole, as they do the same thingsā€¦..close the proton pumps on the stomach down (decrease acid production)....same thing they give humans with ulcers or excessive stomach acid production...maybe do some googling on those two meds together?

• Nope nevermindā€¦.looks like they can be used in conjunction and do not interact.....sorry my bad.

• Yeah they started on just omeprazole but since he wasn't getting better added the ranitidine. he hasn't thrown up since yesterday. Just got bck from the vet again. They repeated the ranitidne but left out the omeprazole because it is oral and his esophagus irritated we were afraid it would make him vomit again. So I'm starting this afternoon with a little yogurt and he's going to vet again at 6 pmā€¦ Hopefully he'll keep that in and his stomach will start to heal.........

• I hope so too. It is hard to have a sick dog and you are trying everything you can but it seems like they are not getting better. Hopefully the yogurt will work, calm his stomach and give him some nutrients. Good luck to both of you.

Suggested Topics