• If anyone on the forum knows of anyone in need of a basenji in or around Tampa, Florida please contact me. I have had Sid for almost 2 years, he is a rare case but overall a really great dog. He needs someone who has other animals or someone who can be home with him and give him the attention he deserves. Preferably retired individuals. I work 2 jobs and I rarely have time to even take him outside for more than what he needs to achieve. He has been through a lot and deserves a chance to be happy 🙂 He is use to being with other animals, cats and dogs and gets along very well with them.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. And yes, I posted him on BRAT..I have yet to hear anything nor do I know if the application even went through.
    attachment_t_11387_0_cimg0281.jpg

• How long ago did you post him to BRAT?

• @basenjilover11:

If anyone on the forum knows of anyone in need of a basenji in or around Tampa, Florida please contact me. I have had Sid for almost 2 years, he is a rare case but overall a really great dog. He needs someone who has other animals or someone who can be home with him and give him the attention he deserves. Preferably retired individuals. I work 2 jobs and I rarely have time to even take him outside for more than what he needs to achieve. He has been through a lot and deserves a chance to be happy 🙂 He is use to being with other animals, cats and dogs and gets along very well with them.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. And yes, I posted him on BRAT..I have yet to hear anything nor do I know if the application even went through.

Hey Christy! How are you? I am sure somebody here can help you get hooked up with BRAT. Email me at quercusbasenjis@google.com and let me know how Sid is doing.

• I am confused… it says you live in OH, but asking for FL?

Where did you get Sid from? What is his story, how old, etc?

I have contacted Debbi with BRAT so they'll be in touch.

• Not Christy, but she used to be from Ohio.. now lives in Florida. Sid has a long and complicated story, ultimately she adopted him from her vet. I think Sid is six or seven? somewhere in there. I met with her last year to try and help with some adustment issues he was having. He is a nice dog, but he needs just the right home. If it is okay with Christy, and Debbi, I would be happy to talk whoever is going to be his coordinator if they have any questions about my evaluation of him.

• Hi, Andrea,

I just posted a private message to Christy asking her to re-submit a rescue form for Sid. We don't have one unless he is listed under another name. Once Sid is in the BRAT system, I'll get back in touch with you, Andrea. We welcome all information about our rescues. I think I met you at one of the St. Louis Nationals. Do you or did you once work at the zoo?

debbi j.

• Yup, I worked at the Toledo Zoo for 10 years. I think we might have met during a rescue transfer too…did we meet up in Cincinnati several years back?...I can't remember much about the dog, but I think it was you that I handed her off to 🙂

• Hello Andrea. Yes I will email you this evening with his progress. And I will also provide the forum a little of his history. Believe it or not he has come a really long way, I am just unable to give him the care I think he deserves..I am no longer with my ex so it is just Sid, me and my cat. He does very well in a home with other animals come to find out, I do believe it is with female dogs, however he has been around male dogs as well and has NEVER shown any aggression. LIke I said I will post later. Thanks gang!

• @Quercus:

Yup, I worked at the Toledo Zoo for 10 years. I think we might have met during a rescue transfer too…did we meet up in Cincinnati several years back?...I can't remember much about the dog, but I think it was you that I handed her off to 🙂

Hi, Andrea,

I don't think it was me since I am 500 miles from Cincinnati. Though I have done a few transports of 600 miles in a day, back when I was younger.

Debbi

• @DebraDownSouth:

I am confused… it says you live in OH, but asking for FL?

Where did you get Sid from? What is his story, how old, etc?

I have contacted Debbi with BRAT so they'll be in touch.

Sid is actually going to be 11 at the end of this year I believe. You wouldn't be able to tell though, he is healthy as a darn ox! He is agile just like a fox and outruns nearly everything he comes in contact with when it comes to the chasing game. Yes, I am from OH and I joined the forum when I lived there but recently moved to FL. I got Sid from a Vet in Toledo, he was going to be put to sleep for aggression towards both other dogs and apparently humans. However we were never told this upon adoption. He bit both me and my ex when we first got him but both times the situation could have been avoided. He was scared and did not know either of us and we grabbed at him in an aggressive manner…that can scare any dog, especially a rescue. I would never consider Sid to be an aggressive dog, he is more timid than anything and I have never seen him show any kind of aggression towards anyone else. He was just recently with my nieces and they are 3 year old twins. Loud and obnoxious and hanging all over him. He just stands there and takes it, never growls or anything.

The reason I wish to rehome him is because my ex and I are no longer together and Sid no longer has a play friend (the french bulldog). I wish very much to have another dog for him, but I barely have enough time for him let alone another dog. Sid isn't the most overly affectionate dog, as I don't think the breed is in the first place. He does however enjoy attention. I think he prefers female owners, I guess he was really attached to him previous owner. He does like me, but as I said I feel bad for him and think he is depressed because I work 60 hours a and he has no friends.

Sid has no health problems and he is on a regular diet with Innova.

Sid actually came from the Rugosa Basenji gang, his previous owners name was Vickie Perrine from Curtis, OH.

• First Basenji's

Is there a reason his breeder can't take him back? Especially since he still seems to be listed on the kennel's page?

• I am not really sure who his actual breeder is. All I know is that his previous owner took him to the vet with the intention of putting him to sleep. The vet saved him and put him into their adoption program. I tried to contact his previous owner but I have never received any feedback. She was in a bad car accident an has not been herself since than.

• I wish Sid and you the best in hopes you find just the right home.

Rita Jean

• Sid's previous owner, Vickie P., was not his breeder. Christy, I see that you have been contacted by BRAT now.

Debbi

• Thank you Debbi, yes I have. Hopefully I am on the right track now.

• If Sid is who I think he is - his date of birth is 12/23/2001 - so he is coming up on 10 years of age at the end of the year - could explain why he seems young for "his age". :O)

I assume BRAT will be contacting the breeder, just to make sure they do not want to do the right thing, or can do the right thing.

• That's him. I suck at math obviously :p

• Just to clarify, Vickie is NOT Sid's breeder. This is a very complicated situation. I am not going to go into the details here, because they are not my details to go into. I have contacted Vickie about the situation, but I haven't spoken to her yet.

I think the important thing here is that Sid needs to go directly into a forever home..he won't do well with being switched from here to there. Hopefully Christy can keep him until a perfect situation arises for rehoming him.

• how very, very sad; the older guys really touch my heart. I hope Sid can find the perfect home.

• Yes, Andrea. I know Vickie is not the breeder only the former owner. While I agree I would not want him switched around and personally feel if asked, he would want to stay with his current owner even with her 60 hour work schedule, I would also hope it is common courtesy (or should be) to contact the breeder and allow them to do the right thing (or sadly in some cases, not do the right thing), then go from there.

Suggested Topics