@yodelma Yes, the information about the flu coming in from imported dogs was alarming. What struck me was that the dogs (in question) were properly vetted and quarantined - and they still missed it. Perhaps the receiving vets weren't informed from the sending vets (beware: potential flu carriers)...
I need volunteers to take a survey
I am doing a paper for my Language Concepts class regarding how a person's age and the area that they grew up in relates to the words that they use to describe certain things. I will ask eleven short and simple questions and record your answers along with your age, sex, and hometown- no names will be recorded. I appreciate any volunteers, and promise that it won't take much of your time!
**I ask that you send your answers to my in-box and do not post them as a response to this thread as to avoid influencing anyone else's answers.
Here are the questions:
1. What do you call the room/level of a house that is below ground level.
2. What do you call a sandwich that is on a long, large bread?
3. What do you call a small stream of water that is not big enough to be a river?
4. What do you call a round piece of dough, fried in fat, with a hole cut into the center?
5. What do you call a piece of cloth that a woman wraps/ties around her head or hair?
6. What is the common type of worm used as fishing bait?
7. What is a mobile vehicle (NOT MOTOR VEHICLE) that a baby stays in while the parents push them around?
8. What do you call a mark on the skin where somebody has sucked and brought the blood to the surface?
9. What do you call the bone from the breast of a chicken that is shaped like a horseshoe?
10. What do you call the place/spot in your elbow that causes a strange feeling when you hit it on something?
11. What do you call very young frogs that have tails but no legs yet?
I will only be able to use answers submitted before this time tomorrow!
lisastewart last edited by
I don't see a email button to send to your inbox
Wow. Yeah, that would be smart, right? email@example.com
I was kind of worried that random people would start flooding my inbox now tha I posted my email, but I rarely use this one so. Thanks for pointing that out to me!:o
MacPack last edited by
Just sent mine, Interesting project.
Thanks to all who have sent in answers so far! Yes, I find it very interesting also. I am finding that the sandwich question is easily the best clue if trying to guess where a person is from. Keep those answers coming!
lvoss last edited by
I posted mine to your profile before you posted your email. You can just record the results and then delete.
That's fine, thanks for the help!
LOVE this project. these things are so much fun!
Thanks, it is pretty fun. I wish I would have included a few more/different questions, but it is too late for that. I am actually really surprised about how many people replying were "army brats" or say they didn't have an official hometown because they moved so much…
I am actually really surprised about how many people replying were "army brats" or say they didn't have an official hometown because they moved so much…
I think moving about, not having a stable hometown, growing up in a different city from where you were born or where your parents grew up is par for the course in the world today… I stopped knowing how to answer the "where are you from?" question several cities ago.
Yes, I believe you are right. We spoke about that a few class meetings ago. Mostly saying that that sort of thing is normal in many places; however, I am from one of those areas/small towns where people are born, raised, and die here. Haha. Not to say that everyone does, but you get what I'm saying I'd guess…