• Hi,

I just wanted to post a follow-up in case anyone was interested! I took Deedle in for her teeth cleaning on Friday. They kept her very well hydrated to make sure her kidneys didn't suffer, and she did really well. They wanted to keep her an extra couple of hours so they could keep pumping fluids through her, but I had to go get her a bit early because, ahem, she was making "basenji noises" and indicated she wanted to come home! I got to the vet's office, and I could hear her CRYING and yipping and making all sorts of noises. Oh, boy.

A couple of days later, and she seems pretty much back to herself. The doctor had to extract two teeth (one fell out while they were cleaning!). She said there was an abscess, so now Deedle should be much happier and more comfortable. I am going to start brushing her teeth in a couple weeks, plus I got the PlaqueOff stuff (such a tiny little bottle! I thought it was going to be a huge tub).

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I appreciated every word!

• That is great news. I would suggest that you start just rubbing her teeth and gums with your finger… and you should be able to brush lightly before the end of the week. Get a nice really, really soft toothbrush for her.

And I hear you about teeth falling out... that happened to my OJ every time he had a teeth cleaning. I am sure she will be feeling 100% better without the bad teeth and abscess!

• Went to the ProDen website and read up on it. Then I went to Amazon and ordered it! It was actually developed for humans before they developed the pet formula. I liked the sound of it so well, I may order the human version for me (I am a serious calculus/plaque producer who has had 2 oral surgeries)
    My furkids usually have no trouble with new foods so I don't anticipate any issues except when the girls are in season and the boys quit eating anyway…

Terry

• I have not heard of any dogs that had a problem with it being added to the food.

• Does anyone have experience with "no anesthesia" teeth cleaning? I'm planning to take my 12-year-old in for this procedure but would welcome second opinions.

• @tanza:

My advise is to have them cleaned, especially if she has always had teeth issues. Since her labs are good, should not be a problem, I would not think. Usually with seniors they put them on extra fluids sometimes before a procedure, during and after to help the kidneys.

Then you can try using Plaque Off, I swear by this stuff… not expensive considering how little you use and you just put it on their food. However, that said, you should also brush daily... it really does make a difference.

+1 on the Plaque Off. It's quite effective! I'm going to be getting some of their 'human' Plaque Off. What's good enough for the basenji is good enough for me.

• @ZenGrrrl:

Does anyone have experience with "no anesthesia" teeth cleaning? I'm planning to take my 12-year-old in for this procedure but would welcome second opinions.

I posted to this yesterday– Don't do it. The AMVA and the dental association say run from such procedures as you cannot get cleaned under the gums so while (like the spray stuff) it might make teeth above gums and breath better, does not do the job.

• Excuse my ignorance but what is no anesthesia teeth cleaning, please?

• Patty, basically they charge less, tout no anesthesia, and basically clean the teeth the best they can, above the gum line.

• No magic then, Debra? Paying a vet for what we can do at home! Or am I being too cynical?

Suggested Topics