• So Oakley tested positive for Giardia a couple weeks ago and he was given Panacur for three days and after three weeks dose him again for three days. Now, my vet tested him as a precautionary routine, I didn't bring it up that there were any issues. He has had diarrhea in the past but in general he has always had loose,soft stools. It has been about two weeks since his first three doses and I notice his stools are soft 85% of the time, is this typical?? I feed him Taste of the Wild Salmon and Bison….and he has the most nasty gas....I can't tell if it is typical puppy gas, his food or the giardia but pheeewwww!

I read previous posts on Giardia on the forum but is this something I should bring up to the vet?

Thanks

• Usually Giardia clears up almost immediate after treatment. I would talk to your Vet…. you might want to maybe change his food to see if that makes a difference. Not typical that stools should be soft 85% of the time.... there is no such thing as "typical" puppy gas... at least not IMO

• maybe I will try Nature's Variety Instinct….or Canidae. His stools are almost always soft formed and smelly, which confuses me since he is on a high quality food...I might have to start giving him fast track or something along those lines. And you are right, puppy gas can't be defined as typical, its awful!!!Nothing worse than a basenji circling leaving behind soft poop so I'll try something...

• Giardia can actually be quite tough to get rid of. You can see an immediate response to treatment and then relapse 2-3 weeks later. Nicky had this happen when he was a youngster.

Rally recently had a bout of Giardia and my vet went about treating it with both Flagyl and Panacur which knocked it right out

• @lvoss:

Giardia can actually be quite tough to get rid of. You can see an immediate response to treatment and then relapse 2-3 weeks later. Nicky had this happen when he was a youngster.

Rally recently had a bout of Giardia and my vet went about treating it with both Flagyl and Panacur which knocked it right out

This is my understanding about Giardia also. And if my memory is the correct the combo of Flagyl and Panacur is what was successfully used also.

• Yes, both lvoss and Quercus are right, I didn't mean to have anyone think that Giardia was easy to treat …. but only that once on the medication, you see a difference..

And I agree that you need to talk to your Vet about using both Flagyl and Panacur.....

While changing foods might help the gas and/or stools, until you are sure Giardia is cleared up really no reason to change....

That said, even though you are feeding a high quality kibble, as with anything different food source can cause different problems. Also, be sure that the food has not gone bad.. that can happen too.

• One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet and which is recommended when treating giardia is to bathe the dog. This is because the giardia cysts can adhere to the hair around the hind end of the dog who then can re-infect himself by grooming. More of a factor in a long haired dog, obviously, but if it were me I'd be giving Oakley a few baths just to be on the safe side. (I'm sure he'll thank me for this suggestion! :eek:)

• @Marie:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet and which is recommended when treating giardia is to bathe the dog. This is because the giardia cysts can adhere to the hair around the hind end of the dog who then can re-infect himself by grooming. More of a factor in a long haired dog, obviously, but if it were me I'd be giving Oakley a few baths just to be on the safe side. (I'm sure he'll thank me for this suggestion! :eek:)

Oooooo, I didn't know that! That is a great bit of info!

Suggested Topics