• Thanks dmey…totally going through the feelings of being a parent, always worrying about doing the right thing and not making mistakes. But as my first B- i know i will make some

• What a cutie!! My Boy cried the first night and on the way home, but overcame it when he got attention when he was quiet.

• the night went much better than expected..
    however, today I feel like a failure! I am fully aware that it is only day two but I can't get Oakley to pee in his litterbox, nevermind his pad in front…he pees three inches from the pad! My timing isn't generally the problem, I know he has to go and I put him on the pad but he thinks its a game, gets off and immediately pees. If I catch him peeing next to the pad I pick him up and put him on the pad...he stops peeing then walks away to finish. On the upside he has been great with pooping. Also, a question to others- are basenjis good with their bones? My sister was over and he was chewing on a nylabone and for the first time I heard him growl at her...he doesn't do that with me...

• Hate to say it… but I would have to say that is a sign of resource guarding, IMO. Certainly this is all new to him... and meeting other new people, but this could very easily lead to a problem. Try the trade.... when he is chewing the bone, have your sister do the "leave it" and at the same time offer another yummy treat in exchange....

• thats what I was thinking…I was able to take it away without him growling, he just had his head down with a little pressure but made no attempts to growl or reach for it....it was the nylabones they can eat...he is fine with his food, treats and all other toys...but from now on I will have other people trade rather than stepping in if I don't need to I will have to really work on this as I don't want it to be an issue with my young nephew

• Oh the joys of being a new parent!:rolleyes:

• @Chealsie508:

Oh the joys of being a new parent!:rolleyes:

Of course I should have said that the first course is that you should talk to the breeder. They know the pups, they know what works….

Beyond that, I would start making him work for food and treats... and while he may not do that with his food now, I would still work on taking it away while eating... (always with exchange for something better)... and if you want put your hand in the bowl when he is eating, you should be able to do that too.....

• Ayo did that once when he was a puppy , with rawhide, and he did it one more time with a marrow bone. Here is what I did, it worked for me. I decided instantly that that was unacceptable and proceeded to remove it regardless of his growling, and then return it when he calmed down. Over and over, and then I would wait a while and do it again. I would do that all the time, every time he had something or I gave him something, every time I walk by him and he has something I take it away and then give it back, , teaching him leave it , in the process but if it wassomthing really tasty he wouldn t leave it I would take it away and then give it back. make him work for everything you give him, and make sure you are the first one in and out the door. Also. When you feed him, touch him, pet him while he is eating, and have the rest of your family do that also. .
    I am no expert, but this worked for me, he has never done at again, not even with the real bones or the raw meat , not even with other dogs!!!. i still do it whenever I remember, I give him something, then take it away.
    Its important to deal with that right away, when he is a young puppy…

• I totally agree with Pat and Dmey. In my opinion it is essenttial that any one should be able to take food away from a dog of any sort. What happens if he/she has picked up some thing that is dangerous to eat? Mine have always been taught to give up anything I ask for and to be petted while they are eating. I think its especially important when small children are around. I find that when they are brought up in this way they seldom resource guard.

• I always play with his food, put my hand in his bowl or pick it up, feed a couple kibbles by hand and he shows no signs of being bothered by it. Also, he was around my fourteen month old nephew again today and he does really well with him. They are both at the age where you have to teach them what "gentle" means so when Aidan accidentally pulled hard on his leash he was fine…and when Aidan was throwing around pots and pans and banging on them with a spatula he just watched him. He doesb't jump on him or mouth at all...the only thing is he licks his face and Aidan wipes his face and pushes him away. He seems very gentle and kind to him which makes me happy. We also had a great walk today...a natural at walking on a leash 😃

• Oakley is very handsome, congratulations

• Thats great he is good with the leash.. i still have to correct Ayo;s pulling, and he is 13 months old!

Suggested Topics