• I would worry about mites, which can spread. I also would worry (and i hate to say this) about something INTERNAL such as cancer making her rub her outer muzzle. Please let the vet check. Two weeks is a long time for something to continue, whether as mild as mites or even infections.

• okay– now im a little freaked once you mention cancer!!! My moms dog did have a mange and so did my cousins dog so im hoping thats all it is..... I called and made an appointment.

thanks ladies

• I think that is the best, lets us know how it works out. If nothing else, you can eliminate things. Sarcoptic Mange is contagious, so if this is what your Mom's and cousin's dog had, very likely this could be the cause. Remember also, that they will not always see the mite with a scraping, be sure to tell the Vet about the other dogs having mange. Sarcoptic causes horrible itching, compared to Demodex mange that causes no itching.

• Ella scratched off almost all the whiskers on one side of her face a couple of different times in the first several months that we had her. Eventually, we chalked it up to anxiety. Her transition to our home was quite difficult for her and she had lots of stress-realted behavoirs. But the scracthing of the whiskers was definitely one of them.

Is there any new or on-going stress in her life?

• Pat, demo actually can cause itching, especially if it becomes generalized and gets infected.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Pat, demo actually can cause itching, especially if it becomes generalized and gets infected.

Not usually, I know that it can, especially if left untreated, but usually it is not that itchy… at least not in my experience

• What is mange??? I have never heard of this????

• @dmey:

What is mange??? I have never heard of this????

Just google it…. mange in dogs....

• Ohh yeah.. Lots of mange here, we call it Sarna,.. Lots of street dogs with it!!

• @bcraig:

Ella scratched off almost all the whiskers on one side of her face a couple of different times in the first several months that we had her. Eventually, we chalked it up to anxiety. Her transition to our home was quite difficult for her and she had lots of stress-realted behaviors. But the scracthing of the whiskers was definitely one of them.

Is there any new or on-going stress in her life?

Im glad my doggie iant the only one.

I am pregnant. we are moving things (room switches) making room for our first baby. Her nose looks fine other than the fact that she has no whiskers on one side. It does not look irritated at all.

My moms dog had mange, but was not contagious. I'm not sure what kind it was, he had eaten away at his paws till they bleed. My cousins dog didnt have mange, she said it just sratched and they put a cone on and it resolved itself??????

ill still take her in 🙂 thank you everyone!

Suggested Topics