Is eating Science Diet better than not eating at all?

• Yeah, I feel the same way.

• I agree with Andrea, if Tayda will eat it and loves it, feed it to her! I had many years of healthy dogs on Purina One, back before "high quality" foods were readily available, moved up to eliminate the yellow dye that was staining their teeth. Most of us, I dare say, don't eat as 'purely' as our dogs do! For a picky eater, go with what the dog likes.

• Well, I had already pretty much said what he said about Hills, but we will agree to disagree on the rest. Lots of research by actual vets and veterinary nutritionists (which he is neither) doesn't support his general nutrition stance. He is the expert on Fanconi! But nutrition in general.. not so much.

I am just glad you have support and hope we soon hear your beloved dog is gaining weight.

• Well so much for the Science Diet - I just got off the phone w/ customer service because I noticed that the label on the bag says minimum protein content 16%, but their website lists "average protein content 22%". The guy told me that the food does not conform to what is on the label - that they are only minimums required by AAFCO and the information on the label does not indicate what is inside the bag. He said "the food in the bag conforms to what the website says - which is 22%."

I have actually checked the webiste information for all of the foods that I get at the store and this is the only one that I've ever found a descrepancy with.

UGH! Maybe that's not a big deal to a lot of people but it is a big damn deal to little Tayda and her kidneys!

Grrrrr…..

• On the K9Kitchen group that I am on, someone mentioned that they have had to switch their dog with renal insufficiency to Natural Balance Vegetarian formula. They use both the canned and dry.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/Vegetarian.html#Guaranteed

It has 18% protein.

• Thanks Ivoss - I'll have to look into that food - though, I have stayed away from vegetarian formulas because the protocol states that mammal based protein sources are better for Fanconi dogs…. though, i wonder if that is compared to poultry... maybe vegetarian is better. I'll ask Dr. Gonto.

I think this may have been the last straw though - I will probably start trying to cook for her myself. Thanks for the link to the k9kitchen. I will be reaching out to them for some expertise soon.

• Besides - now I don't trust the labels at all - "minimum 18% protein" could mean anything!

• Darn Michelle. 😞 But Hills Rx for kidneys, both dry and canned, average under 15 percent. Have you tried those? I mean, if your dog likes Hills regular, perhaps the RX tastes similarly?
    http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine-kd-canine-renal-health-dry.html

I seem to remember that Pitcairn has recipes for low protein home made dog food.

I found this, but it doesn't say what percent the protein is!

Hill's Dog food has this home-made recipe for Canine Restricted Protein Diet:

• 1/4 lb ground beef (do not use lean ground chuck)
    • 2 cups cooked white rice (No salt added)
    • 1 hard cooked egg (finely chopped)
    • 3 slices white bread crumbled
    • 1 tsp calcium carbonate (Tums tablet)

Cook beef in skillet, stirring til lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. This mixture is rather dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water, not milk. Keep covered in refrigerator.

Feeding guide:

• 5 lbs 1/4 pound
    • 10 lbs 1/2 pound
    • 20 lbs 1 pound
    • 40 lbs 1 1/2 pound
    • 60 lbs 2 pounds
    • 80 lbs 2 1/2 pound
    • 100 lbs 3 pounds

Canned dog food

• Hill's prescription diet k/d canine (see above)
    • Hill's prescription diet u/d canine (see above)
    • Hill's prescription diet g/d canine (developed for dogs with heart disease or obese dogs with renal insufficiency)
    • Purina veterinary diets NF kidney function canine formula
    • Royal Canin veterinary diet canine renal MP modified formula
    • Royal Canin veterinary diet canine renal LP modified formula

Also;
    Examples of kidney disease dog food diets
    Dry dog food for unfortunate canines with renal disease

• Hill's prescription diet k/d canine (developed to help manage dogs with kidney disease and heart disease)
    • Hill's prescription diet u/d canine (developed for dogs with calcium oxalate, urate and other cystine urolithiasis but may also be presribed in case of advanced renal failure)
    • Iams veterinary formula renal early stage
    • Purina veterinary diets NF kidney function canine formula
    • Royal Canin veterinary diet canine renal MP14 modified (for early stage kidney disease in small and medium dogs and for all stages of kidney disease in large and giant dog breeds)
    • Royal Canin veterinary diet canine renal LP11 modified (for late stage kidney disease)

• SciDiet beats nothing. Try the Kidney formula. I would recommend canned food for kidney problems.
    The mammal meat requirement is from 'wet meat' and NOT dry food (dry food changes the protein). Some wet mammal meat should be part of the diet (I am not up-to-date with the hybrid protocol) so check the meat for kidney diet (usually chicken and pork… so a bit of pork daily could be good).
    Home-made diets can be great but make SURE that it is balanced (minerals and vitamins) and you may have to repeat bloodwork after a couple of weeks to ensure that the mineral supplements are in correct amounts (the ones that can be measured in any case). Most homemade food require some supplements. DO NOT ADD the supplements while the food is warm. Wait until it is cold. Omega-3 can help too (fish oil or flax seed oil).
    Use rigatoni pasta to hide the pills. Good pocket shape!
    Good luck!

• First, I want to say that my B has liver disease, not kidney…but he is also supposed to be on a low protein diet. He was diagnosed at age 11...he is 15 now! The vet initially suggested Science Diet, and Senji would rather starve to death than eat that, but I digress. To get to the point, I cook for him. Usually boiled chicken or turkey, white meat or legs. The organ meat or red meat stresses his liver. I add rice and vegetables to the broth. He grew up eating mostly Pedigree, but they keep changing the formula. I put a little bit of dry dog food down and then the rice/meat mixture on top. If he doesn't eat the dry dog food, he tends to get runny stools. Throw in any vegetable you think your B will eat, such as carrots, green beans, zucchini, peas, etc. (No mushrooms or onions!)He also likes to eat scrambled egg, cottage cheese or yogurt. Occasionally, he'll eat some white fish or salmon too. His coat looks great and he still runs around like a pup!

Suggested Topics