• Hi everyone,

It has been a loooong time since I posted questions about an upcoming puppy- timing didn't work in my favor and I am a year later anxiously awaiting the next ten weeks before I get my Eldorado puppy. I have heard that you shouldn't let a B puppy sleep in the bed with you or get up on the couch in the first 6 months so you establish pack leader status- I want to know from those with experience if it is best to have my puppy sleep in a crate or if it's detrimental for him/her to sleep with me. Do you see this causing any problems in behavior? Thanks everyone for any input
    Very Very Excited!!!!
    😃

• Congrats on your new puppy. Last puppy I had, she slept in the crate initially and after the midnight potty break, she got to sleep in the bed. After a month or two I just let her sleep in the bed. :rolleyes: She would sleep through the night if she slept in the big bed versus her crate. You do want the puppy to get used to a crate, regardless. I'd suggest something like "Crate Games" or Sophia Yin's crate training method to help make it a fun place. My dog will easily go in her crate now every night and she is almost two now.

• I only removed dogs from bed and furniture IF there is a problem, not to prevent it. I firmly believe a basenji's place is in my bed 🙂 And like the other, I found putting in bed fast was easier with potty training. If they want out of the bed, it's for a reason … so out we'd go.

• I hope the next 10 weeks go by quickly for you.
    About the bed and furniture issue, it realy depends on what is acceptable to you.
    As nemo has said it is great if your pup is crate trained and worth keeping up with.
    When we brought Malaika home she slept in the crate in our bedroom and again like nemo after a garden break in the early hours she came into our bed for a cuddle. She is now in our bed every night because we want her to be. However she remains crate trained and goes in for a few hours on the days when we work.
    We have always allowed her to go on the furniture but have trained her to get off on request.

• Maya has slept in my bed since she was about 10 weeks old, and i've always allowed her on the furniture. As long as she will get off when I tell her, and does as she's told with other things I dont see a problem with it 🙂 Maya has certainly never tried to push things with me, she is always very obedient when I tell her to do something. As long as she is behaving i dont see why she shouldnt enjoy the luxuries of life 😃

BUT, i do agree that if you dont really want your pup in the bed or on the furniture, dont allow it even once. As soon as Maya was allowed to sleep in bed once she assumed thats where she slept and used to take herself up to bed 😃

• Thanks for the input- I certainly don't mind them being in my bed or on the couch, I actually think I would prefer my puppy being able to sleep with me in bed so having heard I shouldn't made me a little sad. Nothings better than having a ten week old puppy breathing on you all night long- O, how I can't wait!!!!!:D

• Awww, it'll fly by im sure! 😃

Maya was a snuggly baby right from day 1! She gets under the duvet and snuggles up right next to me with her head on the pillow. Even 2 years on she is exaqtly the same every night without fail. And she is so WARM! Saves on the heating in this cold weather 😃

Suggested Topics