• Hi Again,

Hobbes received his first exam and cleaning today. He is 15 months old. The Dr. has diagnosed Hobbes as having CUPS : ( I'm so sad–he is so young! Hopefully we can control the amount of plaque build up and irritation. We go back to the vet in two weeks for a dental plan/ consultation. Wish us luck!

• @scarter:

Hi Again,

Hobbes received his first exam and cleaning today. He is 15 months old. The Dr. has diagnosed Hobbes as having CUPS : ( I'm so sad–he is so young! Hopefully we can control the amount of plaque build up and irritation. We go back to the vet in two weeks for a dental plan/ consultation. Wish us luck!

Have you notified the breeder? This condition is consider to maybe have a genetic component. Or in the majority of cases it is believed that the dog's immune system is overracting to bacteria in plaque.

Either way, it is something that a breeder should know about their dogs and consider "not" breeding.

• We have Arwen on a protocol, her problems began when she was 4. It has been hell but with the antibiotics to clear her gums, steroids to knock back her immune system, she is now almost 5 mos from last cleaning/extractions, and the teeth are looking good. I hate to have to probably keep her on low dose steroids, and I sure hate cleaning her teeth every night. But at least NOW I clean her teeth and she doesn't keep losing them and needing the vet to clean every 3 mos!

• Pat,

Yes, I do plan to notify the breeder! He really did not have tarter build-up b/c we gave chews and brushed 1-2 times per week. He is just very sensitive to ANY bacteria! Hopefully we will be able to manage it otherwise, extractions may be in our future : (

BTW: The dentist mentioned that he has seen multiple cases of CUPS in Basenjis in Berkeley. He plans to ask his colleagues (on professional forums) about CUPS in Basenjis. I'll post any additional info.

• @scarter:

Pat,

Yes, I do plan to notify the breeder! He really did not have tarter build-up b/c we gave chews and brushed 1-2 times per week. He is just very sensitive to ANY bacteria! Hopefully we will be able to manage it otherwise, extractions may be in our future : (

BTW: The dentist mentioned that he has seen multiple cases of CUPS in Basenjis in Berkeley. He plans to ask his colleagues (on professional forums) about CUPS in Basenjis. I'll post any additional info.

Wow, really… honestly in 21yrs in the breed, I have never heard of it other then maybe less then a handful of times. And I don't think there are that many Basenjis in Berkeley???

Would love to hear if you get information back.....

• Pat I had never heard of it in ANY breeds, but now that I am aware this last 2 mos, have heard of a dozen cases talking to others and vet techs. 😞 Seems 3 of us here have it.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Pat I had never heard of it in ANY breeds, but now that I am aware this last 2 mos, have heard of a dozen cases talking to others and vet techs. 😞 Seems 3 of us here have it.

If there are Basenjis, I would love to know the breeding. And if there really are more then just a few now and again, it should be something that the Basenji Health Committee should maybe consider tracking. However need people that have Basenjis with this condition to step up and let people know.

• I know of one, possibly two basenjis in Wisconsin which have it.

• Pat I you know my dogs, but glad to send you the info. Since Sayblee had autoimmune issues from the time she was about 4 or 5, then died with lymphoma… now Arwen with this, no doubt autoimmune issue with this double aunt (halfbro/sis sire and dam for Awen) is genetic. Sadly I doubt the breeder cares. I'd say more, but not on public forum.

• Pat,
    My email is carter_shona@hotmail.com. Email me and I will send breeding info.

Suggested Topics